Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlocking phone for travel?

Options
  • 12-03-2012 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Okay so sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I wasn't sure where to post it. As part of my college course I'll be doing a thirty week work placement in Lanzarote. I'm with meteor and I'm just wondering will they unlock my phone so I can switch to a Spanish mobile ocmpany while over there and switch back to meteor when I come home or am I expected to pay roaming charges for almost eigth months? Also how long will it take to unlock a phone because I'm going in June nad have heard both that it can take forever and it can take a few days. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,218 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I thought meteor have free european roaming, did you ask them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Okay so sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I wasn't sure where to post it. As part of my college course I'll be doing a thirty week work placement in Lanzarote. I'm with meteor and I'm just wondering will they unlock my phone so I can switch to a Spanish mobile ocmpany while over there and switch back to meteor when I come home or am I expected to pay roaming charges for almost eigth months? Also how long will it take to unlock a phone because I'm going in June nad have heard both that it can take forever and it can take a few days. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

If Meteor don't sort you out,,go here... www.fastgsm.com

Usually sorted in about 30 minutes.

Most phones are about the $20 mark to unlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

Are you on pay as you go? If so, you'll have to have spent over €127 credit with them to get it unlocked.

Bill pay? If so the phone can be unlocked but you'll still be expected to pay your monthly tariff.

What phone do you have, once Meteor give you the unlocking code get a friends sim (different network) and put it in your phone it will ask you to enter the unlocking code and you're away to go. If not, let me know what phone and I can give you the sequence that needs to be entered into your phone once you have the unlocking code. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JimmyMcCrohan

I've just had a very bad experience with Meteor. I was heading to Vietnam for 4 weeks. Customer Service said it would take 5 working days to unlock. Three weeks later, with still no unlocking, they were saying that Nokia was not responding. I contacted Nokia who told me that Meteor did not want to unlock my phone. I believed Nokia. No more Meteor for me. Can anyone tell me how to buy an unlocked phone. I believe you can buy in Belgium, where there is a law that they can't sell locked phones. Jimmy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I've just had a very bad experience with Meteor. I was heading to Vietnam for 4 weeks. Customer Service said it would take 5 working days to unlock. Three weeks later, with still no unlocking, they were saying that Nokia was not responding. I contacted Nokia who told me that Meteor did not want to unlock my phone. I believed Nokia. No more Meteor for me. Can anyone tell me how to buy an unlocked phone. I believe you can buy in Belgium, where there is a law that they can't sell locked phones. Jimmy

See post #3. If that doesn't work there are many sites selling SIM-free phones, like Expansys.ie or Amazon.co.uk. Check the likes of CPW if you're looking to buy SIM-free, their range would be fairly limited though. There are also a number of small independent phone shops, if there are any in your area they might be worth a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭pigeon999

www.phonesonline.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

pigeon999 wrote: »

A bit pricey:(. Amazon.co.uk has the Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250 16GB SIM Free for £389.00 (€475.00) And the Samsung B2710 Solid £83.88 (€105.00). Both phones way cheaper than phonesonline. And you get free delivery.

Advertisement