Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish education investment forgets Waterford

Options
  • 12-03-2012 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭

Very disappointed in the lack of these projects coming to Waterford over the next 5 years.... Outside Dublin and its surrounding counties Limerick, Cork, Galway each have over 6 times (correct me if im wrong) the projects that we are getting :rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Some of the schools Waterford is getting are actually needed, and are to be welcomed. Not every school needs to be replaced, some are more urgent than others. The surrounding counties have a bigger population and more schools that would need work, I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

The general Dunmore Road/Williamstown area could have done with something. The lack of facilities out there in general are a disgrace. A great example of awful urban planning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There really is a blindingly obvious need for a full scale secondary school on Williamstown/Dunmore roads, and yet no one seems to be agitating for one.

56 Waterford City 64970U Coláiste na Maighdine, Presentation Secondary School, Waterford
    City Post-primary New School

45 Waterford City 20050D Gaelscoil na Deise, Grace Dieu Road, Waterford (see also 20160K) Primary New School
    46 Waterford City 20160K Waterford Educate Together NS (see also 20050D) Primary New School

2014/15
    103 Waterford 19108B St Martin's Special School, Ballytruckle, Waterford Special School New School
    104 Westmeath 18640M Naomh Iosef NS, Rath Guaire, Killucan, Co Westmeath Primary New School

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

mike65 wrote: »
    There really is a blindingly obvious need for a full scale secondary school on Williamstown/Dunmore roads, and yet no one seems to be agitating for one.

Can you imagine the competition for places if that school ever did get built? It would be almost comical. Almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

longshanks wrote: »
    Can you imagine the competition for places if that school ever did get built? It would be almost comical. Almost.

So what? It would take the pressure off the other schools slightly, and improve the quality of lives for the families involved. Think of all the traffic that would be taken off the roads as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Wasn't the Presentation School funded mostly by the selling of the land to where the Medical Centre and Halley's solicitors is. If this wasn't the case would the government have fully funded it. I am open to correction here.

I remember when I was in Mount Sion Secondary in the late 90's early 00's and we were promised a new secondary school and it never came and that was during the boom years. It was badly needed at the time and still is. The school is constantly getting smaller year on year numbers wise and is more than likely down to lack of facilities and subject choices due to numbers. If this school dies a death as a result it would be a shame.

If we don't have the facilities for the knowledge economy that we want for the next generation educating our children in prefabs and run down schools won't do a thing.

Advertisement