Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to complain about barking dogs

• 12-03-2012 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

My neighbour has a jack russell and an alsatian, both lovely dogs but they don't get walked and consequently seem very unhappy. It's the centre of Dublin so the garden is not massive.

The dogs bark when they hear a door being opened, closed or even when you pass a window, in other words non-stop!

Now, the alsatian is getting a lot bigger it looks like he will be able to jump the wall soon which I think could be dangerous as he seems quite agressive.

Everywhere I look it seems that the only way to make a complaint is to confront my neighbours which I don't want to do as I get on well with them and I know they will not want to lose the dogs, they work all day till late so I don't think walking is ever going to happen.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Just talk to them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

If you get on well with them that's a great start! You mentioned they wouldn't want to lose their dogs, doesn't even have to come to that. Just pop over and have a chat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I own 2 dogs, I make sure they are never out alone in case of barking. If I did let them out for any length of time without supervision and one of my neighbours knocked to tell me that they were barking I'd be mortified, would apologise and try to ensure it didn't happen again.

Honestly, just be reasonable about it, they probably don't realise and would appreciate being told about in conversation as opposed to a big row or something.

I think most of the threads here more about people who know they are barking, have been approached and don't care. You're not at that point yet so I wouldn't worry. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭RummyMc

Yes a friendly approach is best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Having been on the other side op a friendly chat explaining your issues is best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

hi,Im in a similar situation in that i have a neighbour who got a pup about 3 years ago and the dog has been whining/crying out the back since day one,at first i said id give the dog about 6 months to settle in and he should quiten down as he matured a bit but the howling still goes on,i dreaded having to bring the subject up and eventually did a few weeks ago and the neighbour was speechless and would not even answer me and i could see he took it personally,i had to speak to him again the other day as the dog is still at it and basically im sick of it,i dont blame the dog as he is out on his own in the back garden almost all the time,he gets a mickey mouse walk every now and again and is totally frustrated and lonely,the neighbours are a very nice couple and aside of the barking are the perfect neighbours,never a bother and allways a chat when we passed each other but things have got chillier now and thats a pity but id advise you to bring the matter up with the owners in a friendly but firm manner and put your own peace of mind first or you will have to put up with it for years,if i had addressed the situation 3 years ago things would have been sorted and the poor dog might have got the required exercise in the process,best of luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Frankie Teardrop

update: I have spoken to the neighbours who have apologies and said that yes the dog is noisy but they are not planning to do anything other than shout at it.

I've tried a dog barking training thing but it's no use.

I've hit a dead end with the authorities who tell me I need to go to court.

Now, this isn't going to please a lot of you but the best advise I've had so far is to poison the dogs myself, the reasoning behing this is that the dogs will be put down anyway if they are removed.

Does anyone have a better idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

I seriously hope you are not considering poisoning them :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Now, this isn't going to please a lot of you but the best advise I've had so far is to poison the dogs myself, the reasoning behing this is that the dogs will be put down anyway if they are removed.

Mod note - advocating violence or killing of animals is against the forum charter - this will NOT and IS NOT be discussed here by anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

update: I have spoken to the neighbours who have apologies and said that yes the dog is noisy but they are not planning to do anything other than shout at it.

I've tried a dog barking training thing but it's no use.

I've hit a dead end with the authorities who tell me I need to go to court.

Does anyone have a better idea?

:eek::eek::eek:

Yes - here are a few alternatives.

Are they renting or owners? If renting, speak to their landlord.
    Ask some of your other neighbours to do the same. If they are owners, ask your other neighbours to also politely mention the noise. You can't possibly be the only one being annoyed by it.

Call the dog warden/ISPCA. Owners have a responsibility to make sure their dogs are well looked after. Dogs with no exercise are not being looked after properly, and it will show (especially with a GSD who needs quite a lot of activity)

If the above approaches work, then do be patient - it takes time to train a dog out of a behaviour.

If the above approaches do get you nowhere, then dealing with it, legally, is a perfectly valid response, especially if you have a group of neighbours willing to pursue that with you.

If the dogs are taken away, they are highly likely to be rehomed. There is certainly no call for drastic measures that would quite rightly get you arrested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Barking dogs
    Excessive dog barking that causes a nuisance is an offence. The District Court can make an order requiring the reduction of excessive barking by a dog, can limit the number of dogs that can be kept on a premises or can direct that a dog be delivered to a dog warden as an unwanted dog.

You can make a complaint about excessive barking to the District Court under Noise Regulations. Before you do this, you must first inform the dog owner of your intention by completing a special form under the Control of Dogs Act, 1986. These forms are available from your local authority.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/animal_welfare_and_control/control_of_dogs.html

Kash wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek:
    Call the dog warden/ISPCA. Owners have a responsibility to make sure their dogs are well looked after. Dogs with no exercise are not being looked after properly, and it will show (especially with a GSD who needs quite a lot of activity)

The warden/ISPCA pointed us to the council who told us to go to the gards, who told us to go to the council who told us to confront the neighbour and make a recording and bring it to the gards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Have you tried water?

I think some of you missed some points...

The neighbours are nice but not there most of the time, I don't want to become enemies with them, barking neighbours are worse than barking dogs.

I think the larger German Shepard is dangerous and will soon be able to jump the walls.

I'm looking for a way that doesn't involve killing the dogs. I don't even swat flies, but there if I thought my kids where in danger...well what would you do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Buy a supersoaker. Fill it with water. When the dog barks, hit it with a spray of water.

The reality is, if your neighbours aren't walking the dogs, they'll bark. You can't force your neighbours to walk the dogs, so the dogs are going to bark.

You could buy the citronella collars and give them to your neighbours and ask them politely to use them.
    You can make a complaint to the district court.
    You can try squirting the dogs.
    ...but there's feick all else you can do.

Also, your kids aren't in danger. No dog has jumped into your back garden. Why are you bringing up the whole "killing the dogs" thing again?

The warden/ISPCA pointed us to the council who told us to go to the gards, who told us to go to the council who told us to confront the neighbour and make a recording and bring it to the gards.

I know it seems to be a bit circular, but dealing with local council usually is.
    You've already had two seperate pieces of advice - keep going.

a) do what they ask - get the recording. Hell, video the dogs barking and stick it on youtube. When you go back to the council/Gardai, video them too. Bring a printout of the law (as posted earlier) from citizens information, and show that to the council/Gardai.

b) contact your other neighbours - I can't stress this enough, one person is easily ignored as a quack or a busybody, a group of people from an area tend to get listened to and get faster results

c) If your local council cannot do anything, get your local press involved.

Any and all of these actions are preferable to poisoning a pet.

Regarding your other points, you said your neighbours are nice, but you also said that they were not going to do anything other than shout at the dog when they are at home. So, initially they sounded cooperative, then they sounded stubborn, and now they simply sound unprepared.

So maybe show them the printout of the law. If they are nice people, they won't want their neighbours driven to distraction by their dogs, especilaly if you're in a neighbourhood with napping children. This is why I originally suggested getting your neighbours and/or their landlord involved in the first place. Have you even considered this?

Regarding the second point, I don't even know what to say. You think the dog is dangerous? You think he might jump the wall? Piffle. That seems like a cop-out to help you justify your other thoughts. The dog has shown no signs of agression nor has he escaped the property, so isn't guilty of anything, for want of a better word. I would advise against bringing that aspect up to anyone outside of this thread because that makes your other concerns seem irrational by association.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Just talk to them!

is the OP Dr Dolittle:D

Kash wrote: »
    You think the dog is dangerous? You think he might jump the wall? Piffle. That seems like a cop-out to help you justify your other thoughts. The dog has shown no signs of agression nor has he escaped the property, so isn't guilty of anything, for want of a better word. I would advise against bringing that aspect up to anyone outside of this thread because that makes your other concerns seem irrational by association.

Sorry if I sound crazy but German Shepards are No. 3 on this list of dangerous dogs:
    http://dangerousdogs.net/

Yes, I think it's very likely that this young dog will soon be able to get over the wall as I can already see his head. It's a five foot wall. It's not waggy it's tail when it barks at us.

Are you really suggesting I wait until it does get over?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Frankie - you've been given many many suggestions, but you keep going back to the point of something illegal (i.e. harming the dog).

There is also no such thing in Ireland as a ''dangerous dogs'' list.

I suggest you contact your neighbours face to face, if they're nice they'll understand.
    If not, do what others have suggested and go the correct route.
    If you're worried about the dog jumping into your garden, discuss putting up higher fencing with your neighbour or just put it up yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sorry if I sound crazy but German Shepards are No. 3 on this list of dangerous dogs:

Yes, I think it's very likely that this young dog will soon be able to get over the wall as I can already see his head. It's a five foot wall. It's not waggy it's tail when it barks at us.

German Shepherds are not dangerous, that list is ridiculous and you are just scaring yourself by googling things like that on the net.

Have you spoken to the owner? Can you not put up some fencing then to make the wall higher on your side if you are so worried?

Yes, that is precisely what I am suggesting - or simply do somthing productive. Otherwise, you are making assumptions based on no evidence (and like something out of the plot of Minority Report)

There is no such thing as a dangerous breed. GSDs were the original guide dog and are still in the top four breeds used as guide dogs all over the world. But that aside, if you are worried about your or your kids safety, which in my opinion gives you the right to be pretty irrational, then just secure your side of the fence. That's simple, effective, and entirely legal.

Your thread was about how to complain about barking dogs. You have been given a variety of options on how to complain to the neighbour, how to complain to the Gardai and how to complain to the local authorities.

You do not seem to be listening to any of it, and are now trying to make the issue into a dangerous dog one. So, you have now been given advice on how you can take precautions to keep your family safe, without resorting to harming the dog.

The ball is in your court.

star-pants wrote: »
    There is also no such thing in Ireland as a ''dangerous dogs'' list.

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/DogControl/

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the advice.

To summarise, I have no choice but to go the legal route and make a formal complaint.

If any of you have any experience taking this route please post it here, so others can know what to expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Just bear in mind that squirting water or any of the other unsavoury options will make you in the wrong & not the dog owner. He would be able to say that you provoked the dog into barking.

If the dog is a genuine nuisance then follow the procedures here. If your real concern is that you are scared of the dog then go around & meet it. Most of us here would of done so the day the dog arrived. Get to know the dog & it may well stop barking.

My neighbours dog used to bark & it ignored them yelling at it. But it will stop if I ask it nicely to - maybe because it associates me with treats & kindness. GSD's are wonderfully intelligent dogs.

By the way don't confuse "restricted" with dangerous. The restricted breed list is meaningless concerning whether a dog poses a danger. Hopefully it will disappear as part of the Animal Welfare Bill.

If any of you have any experience taking this route please post it here, so others can know what to expect.

You have to get one of these forms from your Council or Court. Fill it in & then you must give a copy to your neighbour.

NOTICE OF INTENTION TO MAKE A COMPLAINT TO THE DISTRICT COURT IN RELATION TO NUISANCE ALLEGED TO BE CAUSED BY THE EXCESSIVE BARKING OF A DOG

District Court Area of ............................................................  District No..............
    To ............................................................ ............................
    (Occupier)
    of............................................................ ...............................
    ............................................................ ..................................
    ............................................................ ..................................
    (the premises in which the dog is kept)
    Notice is hereby given, in pursuance of section 25 (2) of the Control of Dogs Act, 1986 , that I ........................................ of ........................................... intend to make a complaint to the District Court sitting at ........................ on the .............. day of ..............., at ........ am/pm, being a date within 7 days from the date hereof, in respect of the nuisance which I allege to have been caused by the excessive barking of a dog kept in the above-named premises, situated in the said court area and district.
    Where it appears to the District Court that a nuisance has been created as a result of excessive barking, the Court may:—
    (a) order you to abate the nuisance by exercising due control over the dog;
    (b) make an order limiting for such period as may be specified in the order the number of dogs to be kept by you on your premises;
    (c) direct that the dog be delivered to a dog warden to be dealt with by him, as if the dog were an unwanted dog, in accordance with the provisions of the Control of Dogs Act, 1986 .
    Dated this ......... day of ................................, .
    Signed ..........................................
    Given under the Official Seal of the Minister for the Environment and Local Government this 19th day of November, 1998.
    NOEL DEMPSEY
    Minister for the Environment and Local Government

yes, I don't want to do it but I do know what to do.

Has anyone here actually gone through this proccess?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

I'm looking for a way that doesn't involve killing the dogs. I don't even swat flies, but there if I thought my kids where in danger...well what would you do?

If you are considering killing dogs then I would say your kids are in danger just living with you

• Advertisement

yes, I don't want to do it but I do know what to do.

Has anyone here actually gone through this proccess?

The only public case that I am aware of involved a well know celebrity. The Judge recommended mediation, as you have to live with your neighbour, before bringing it back to Court.

Advertisement