Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to complain about barking dogs

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

No mention of 'dangerous dogs list' and as explained below there is a restricted breed list.
    Discodog wrote: »
    By the way don't confuse "restricted" with dangerous. The restricted breed list is meaningless concerning whether a dog poses a danger. Hopefully it will disappear as part of the Animal Welfare Bill.

al28283 - 24hr ban as I previously stated killing discussion was not to continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The other thing that you have to do is collect evidence. So you need to keep neat, accurate, records of the time, date & duration of barking. Remember that you may need to submit this to the Court.

If you go to Court without evidence then the case may be dismissed as unproven. It will then be much harder as you will have to start the whole process again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Frankie Teardrop

<MOD SNIP> - user has been actioned, no need to respond

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Frankie you need to separate the issues of noise nuisance & fear. The nuisance can probably be dealt with if a Court agrees that it is unreasonable. But, in reality, the dog is still likely to be there & it could remain there for many years.

If there is a Court case then no one wins - you may get a bit more peace from the dog but you will be living with a very angry neighbour. You have said that the neighbour is pleasant. Could they be dismissing your complaint because they sense that you are scared of their dog & just see you as someone who doesn't like dogs full stop ?

In any event you & your kids will meet thousands of dogs in your lifetimes. So why not learn about dogs & teach you kids how to react around dogs ? I have just posted this in the other thread but I will repeat it here in case you didn't see it. If you google "Staying Safe with Dogs" you will see a downloadable PDF which has some excellent information. Perhaps your kids school might be interested in learning more. If you phone the producers of the leaflet they may be able to advise you how you can conquer any fears.

If you teach your kids to understand & feel comfortable around dogs it will be a lifetime legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭questionquick

If your worried about the dog jumping over the fence, as someone said, make a higher fence; simple.

• Advertisement

So far everyone here has an opinion but no experince, how can I trust this advice.

Can I hear from anyone who has been through this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

So far everyone here has an opinion but no experince, how can I trust this advice.

Can I hear from anyone who has been through this?

Yes I have been thru this - I was nearly killed by our family GSD as a child - he almost licked me to death on a few occasions!

Seriously (and I'm taking the pi$$ here) I'm not sure what you want to hear about!?

a) Complaining about/Resolving a barking dog issue

or

b) A dog jumping over a fence and eating children

or

c) Getting over hang ups on big dogs?!

EDIT : You know just thinking there - from your OP you say the GDS is getting bigger - is he maybe a young dog that has started to go thru adolescence - there's a 'stranger danger' phase where they bark at everyone eg on the other side of a coming near the house - my guy did it too but grew out of it - windows too - even if it was US in the window he'd give out lol. Once he was seeing the neighbours in person and we were saying hello to them etc i'm assuming he matched them up with their scents so knew they were his friends and no harm to him. Would you go round to the neighbour and meet the dogs so they know you're a friend and not a foe? A few mins of meeting the dogs could put and end to all the hassle?

A + B

Thanks for your input

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

You trust it because a) it is common sense, b) it is what is laid out in black and white on both citizensinformation.ie AND environ.ie (under a link you yourself posted: http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/DogControl - see 'What can I do about barking dogs')

Most reasonable people are able to resolve barking dog issues amicably, without going to court, which is most likely the reason that no-one in this thread has let it get that far.

If you want legal advice, or examples of previous court cases, I would suggest seeing a professional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

For A + B, this thread has some really good advice:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056575252

You should try actually reading it
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

A + B

Thanks for your input

I edited some more into my post - not sure if you've seen it. It could be just a stranger danger phase. At the same time when my guy was doing this he was told he was bold and taken inside - doesn't look like your neighbours will do this though. Befriend the dogs so they become obedient for you and pi$$ off your neighbours lol? :pac:

They say of the internet, the best way to start an argument is to ask a question.

I think they could be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Plumpynuter

1. Fill a plastic bottle with water and leave it in your garden. I have seen these a few times in gardens and never heard a dog barking.

2. Erect a net, wall level horizontally over the whole garden. You might have to crawl a bit but at least the dog will land on the net if it jumps over the wall and you will all be safe.

3. Dig a trench about 20 feet deep on your side of the wall.

4. Tape a good quality plastic bag around the dogs head. Put some holes in the bag for air. Fill bag with acoustic foam.

5. I like others here would not condone killing the animals so maybe kill the neighbors instead and the dogs will be taken away as nobody is looking after them.

6. Put a loud speaker outside your house and play whale songs at loud levels all day and night.

Think outside the box

thanks Plumpynuter, I have already bought a new trampoline and shortened two of the legs.

It may catapult the poor creature into the wall but I think it's safer than the bag over the head idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Plumpynuter

thanks Plumpynuter, I have already bought a new trampoline and shortened two of the legs.

It may catapult the poor creature into the wall but I think it's safer than the bag over the head idea.

Sorry man. I thought this was in after hours.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Advertisement