Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To nVidia or not to nVidia?

Options
  • 12-03-2012 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

So I've been researching pc builds for a bit now and I find myself stuck on graphics cards. I've done research for both nVidia & AMD and I'm kinda stuck. I understand new graphics cards are in the pipeline but I will not be taking these into consideration until release.

Basically, I'm working with video editing and some VFX compositing and I will be looking to do more 3D animation/compoisiting work. My main resource for this work will be CS5 - PrPro, Mocha, AE, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. 3D work is done on blender. At the moment I'm working on an iMac so I really have no physical experience of graphics cards.

Now I've read on the Adobe forums that Nvidia cards seem to work better with CS5 (I'm not looking to purchase the Quadro series so I'm excluding it from this). Now having looked at quite a few discussions I think that I'll probably go the nVidia route but I do like AMD's eyefinity set up. nVidia SLI does not really work with Adobe afaik so I'll be stuck to a dual screen set up.

I'm looking to do a lot of encoding and rendering and I'm just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me? Would I be mad to consider the AMD graphics because of the Eyefinity set up?

I'm really stumped on this one as I've hit an informational block in my brain, lol.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Like I was thinking 2 of these bad boys. They look fair for price and should definitely offer performance when gaming and working with premiere pro/blender.

GTX 560

Could anyone make any recommendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

PrPro really shines with CUDA, that rules out ATI anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Yup, got some info on it so going to see the price of the new 680. Hopefully the 580 comes down in price. Was considering a dual 560ti set up but from what i can see this is only beneficial to gaming. Think I'll need to go for a 2GB card setup of some form.

Advertisement