Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rented house broken into - contents insurance?

Options
  • 12-03-2012 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi all hope ye can help, my rented house was broken into
    last weekend. Two laptops and a schoolbag were taken. We're students and we were wondering is there any chance we can get our laptops back off the house insurance?

Is contents insurance mandatory?

If we are lucky and are insured, our landlord will surely not let us
    claim off his policy, seeing as it would mean an increase in his premium?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but tenants must have their own insurance.

Try adverts.ie for a cheap laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Do you have a contents insurance policy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You cannot insure what you don't own. Therefore a landlord can't insure your property, only their own contents. It is up to tenants to insure their own belongings.

Not what you wanted to hear but alas it's how it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Landlord will have insurance for the building and maybe (but less likely) the contents he owns within the house but...

He cannot and would not have contents insurance which covers anything he does not own - i.e. your personal property so you are out of luck there.

If the laptops were listed on your parent's policy then you may find that they are covered under that policy however.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 kenk

thanks for all the help..kinda knew we were out of luck, but said
    it was worth a try :p especailly since I had my laptop 2 months!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 kenk

Zamboni wrote: »
    Do you have a contents insurance policy?

I have no idea what kind of insurance we have? would the landlord have this policy in rented accommodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭thebiglad

kenk wrote: »

Might be worth looking into some insurance for yourself with the new laptops - plus keeping them backed up with copies somewhere else so you don't lose coursework at least.

Keep in mind the cost of 1 years insurance plus the level of excess and you may consider it easier to lose a couple of laptops over 3 years than insure!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Look at your parents insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I have no idea what kind of insurance we have? would the landlord have this policy in rented accommodation?

Contents insurance is nothing to do with the landlord; its a policy you take out to protect your own belongings in the accomodation. If you didnt take out a policy for contents insurance then you dont have it.

I know its a bit late now but its a must have really; on my last two places (2nd floor apartments) it only cost €100 a year and covers everything I own.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

thebiglad wrote: »
    Keep in mind the cost of 1 years insurance plus the level of excess and you may consider it easier to lose a couple of laptops over 3 years than insure!

Contents insurance isnt expensive; its definately cheaper to pay the insurance than to replace a laptop!

• Advertisement
Advertisement