Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do gaming PC's eat up a lot of electricity?

Options
  • 12-03-2012 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm just trying to get my head around all the details before i do my first build. (No doubt there'll be many more stupid questions to come too, so please bear with me :confused:)
    I realize it all depends on how much someone uses their Rig but, in general, are Gaming PC's expensive to run in regards to electricity?

Reason I ask, is coz I hear these new Ivy Bridge CPUs are more power friendly (as well as better for performance) so I'm thinking, if the difference is that substantial, that I might hold out for it's release.

On the other hand, if the difference isn't going to be all that great, I might just buy a regular processor/board. As it may be cheaper, and it'll be all the sooner before i can start buying my parts.

Bear in mind, I rarely play marathon sessions. Usually it'd be about 2-3 hours mid-week max! And maybe 6-7 hours at the weekend...max!

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

With that much play time you won't feel a difference even with some stupidly power hungry 580 sli setup pc.

In fact some newer high end Gpus, are very power friendly. Electricity bill should be the least of your worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭phillo74

With that much play time you won't feel a difference even with some stupidly power hungry 580 sli setup pc.

In fact some newer high end Gpus, are very power friendly. Electricity bill should be the least of your worries.

Nice one! sounds fair! so, ur saying u wouldn't bother going ivy bridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

An absolute killer rig, with surround sound and a massive monitor could come near 1kW.
    So <20c per hour

Gurgle wrote: »
    An absolute killer rig, with surround sound and a massive monitor could come near 1kW.
    So <20c per hour

F*ck sake, that's nothing!!! I really gotta stop listening to the idiots in work. Then again, they've never built before either so i should know better than to listen to them! :mad:

Thanks lads!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Hehehe...

An *average* gaming rig - say 2500k and a fairly racey GPU (HD6870~6950ish), plus regular HDD, possible SSD and a decent amount of cooling - will use roughly 200W at absolute full tilt, and probably less than 50W sitting idle, browsing the web etc, peaking back up to 100-120W folding (or doing other CPU-intensive apps) flat-out. A cheaper gaming rig, built with contemporary parts, could come in 25-50% less. HTPCs and non-gaming rigs will take even less.

• Advertisement

phillo74 wrote: »
    Nice one! sounds fair! so, ur saying u wouldn't bother going ivy bridge?

Well I did not said not to bother with it. It's too early to say if it's a good CPU, but one is known - sandy bridge is a great CPU and really not bad on power consumption.

1kw systems are the past. For most fastest single gpu you need max 550w psu. Systems are nt just getting faster, but more efficient with the power.

Well I did not said not to bother with it. It's too early to say if it's a good CPU, but one is known - sandy bridge is a great CPU and really not bad on power consumption.

1kw systems are the past. For most fastest single gpu you need max 550w psu. Systems are nt just getting faster, but more efficient with the power.

I hear ya, but I don't wana end up making a haimes of my build just coz of itchy feet. Sure, I'd love to get building right away. then again, I don't wana have everything ready only to find out that the Ivy Bridge is absolutely class. Bit of a predicament. On top of that the GTX 580 prices are said to be slashed bigtime...so that could be another reason to hold off :confused: I duno...maybe I should just build the damn thing now and upgrade later when i need to. I could be holding off forever.

Cheers lads!

Solitaire wrote: »
    Hehehe...

An *average* gaming rig - say 2500k and a fairly racey GPU (HD6870~6950ish), plus regular HDD, possible SSD and a decent amount of cooling - will use roughly 200W at absolute full tilt, and probably less than 50W sitting idle, browsing the web etc, peaking back up to 100-120W folding (or doing other CPU-intensive apps) flat-out. A cheaper gaming rig, built with contemporary parts, could come in 25-50% less. HTPCs and non-gaming rigs will take even less.

Sorry man, still trying to get my head around all the jargon etc. So, what your sayin is, they don't eat much juice? Again, sorry, Im still learning... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

I hear ya, but I don't wana end up making a haimes of my build just coz of itchy feet. Sure, I'd love to get building right away. then again, I don't wana have everything ready only to find out that the Ivy Bridge is absolutely class. Bit of a predicament. On top of that the GTX 580 prices are said to be slashed bigtime...so that could be another reason to hold off :confused: I duno...maybe I should just build the damn thing now and upgrade later when i need to. I could be holding off forever.

Cheers lads!

Thinking that that you will never get to build.:) There is always something around the corner and it also depends on how much you are willing to spend.

PC building is something where I think it is beneficial to be one step behind the game:cool:. In a month or so with all the hype about Ivybridge and Kepler, pick up your i2500k with your z68 board and maybe your GTX580 for a fraction of what they cost 12mths ago (maybe a slight overstatement) and you got yourself a savage gaming pc.

In another 6mths you could look at upgrading your CPU if you like (once all that hype has died down and everyone is looking for the next big thing)

Of course new tech is still new tech, so if you have the money who am I to try and stop ya :D

deejer wrote: »
    Thinking that that you will never get to build.:) There is always something around the corner and it also depends on how much you are willing to spend.

PC building is something where I think it is beneficial to be one step behind the game:cool:. In a month or so with all the hype about Ivybridge and Kepler, pick up your i2500k with your z68 board and maybe your GTX580 for a fraction of what they cost 12mths ago (maybe a slight overstatement) and you got yourself a savage gaming pc.

In another 6mths you could look at upgrading your CPU if you like (once all that hype has died down and everyone is looking for the next big thing)

Of course new tech is still new tech, so if you have the money who am I to try and stop ya :D

True! €1500 is my budget. But that's for everything - from a mouse mat to a monitor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

That'll be a fun build. You're probably looking at a 2500K+7970/680 build. Including monitor, etc. I wouldn't expect a system like that to pull any more than 600W under full load. I have what is probably the most inefficient rig ever made, and I'm pulling about 450-500W from my PC alone, not including my monitor or speakers.

Cheers lads!

I have noticed today that they droped prices on 580 and 570 a lot! That's why I am on a fence to get second 570 or some high end gpu, but that's a different story.

Anyway, current 2500k sandy is best CPU for gaming. There is no point going anything higher as the is no Noticable increase. In fact 2500k is not even maxed out with current games. My 2500k max load I ever seen in games 55%. So you can wait for ivy, which is not for quite awile or get sandy now and have same performance in games.
    As for gpu it's a mixed bag. Depending on your budget there are. Alot of gpu options and good few options being released as we speak. Nice mid range amd series coming out and some high end stuff from nvidia. so a week wait for 7850 7870, which might be an option for a solid highish spec and a week or few weeks for 670 ti, which is going to be in high spec build.

In short: you can build gaming pc and enjoy it now, or you can always chase for technology and end up with nothing. ( though a week or two is worth a wait ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Serephucus wrote: »
    That'll be a fun build. You're probably looking at a 2500K+7970/680 build. Including monitor, etc. I wouldn't expect a system like that to pull any more than 600W under full load. I have what is probably the most inefficient rig ever made, and I'm pulling about 450-500W from my PC alone, not including my monitor or speakers.
    i have a 6990 OC'd. it probably pulls close to what your rig pulls all together :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    i have a 6990 OC'd. it probably pulls close to what your rig pulls all together :o

According to Techpowerup, the 580 is about 50W lower than the 6990 (didn't think it would be that close) and I'd assume they'd both need about proportionally the same amount of power when overclocking.

But: Does your system pull 383W when only your processor is under load? :P

Advertisement