Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rigid Foam

• 12-03-2012 5:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I'm looking to buy some rigid foam in Limerick, anyone have any ideas where to start looking? I tried Carews on william street but all they had was furniture foam which was too soft.
    I need it for my toolbox for work, to cut the shapes of tools into it, I tried Mckennas but no joy there either..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Take a trip out to the recycling centre in Mungret and talk nicely to the lads at the gate, they may let you scout around the shed where that type of material is stored. You might be able to pick up what you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭db

Get some insulation from McMahons or Wickes. Its light and easy to cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I'm also interested in this stuff the more solid and rigid the better.

I've tried some of the building suppliers but all they seem to have
    in 1inch and 2inch thick Kingspan Insulation.

What your looking for which is ideal would be Extruded Polystyrene Insulation.
    (NOT!!! Expanded Polystyrene insulation)

King Span insulation might work for you as its rigid and you can cut with a
    stanley blade but its very very soft and if your going to be taking tools in and
    out of the box it will just get damaged way too quick. Its much much stronger,
    tougher, harder to cut, rigid and solid than any of the others mentioned.

Pink/Blue foam Extruded Polystyrene is harder/more dense than King Span type and can be "carved" with a stanley blade.

There is a harder type again that looks more like a solid rock hard aeroboard
    which withstands a lot of weight that's used to pack really heavy machinery
    that stuff is awesome but I've no idea what its called.

~B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

would any of the arts and crafts shops have anything like that. Maybe Silkes Catherine Street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Expensive option probly, but would Maplin have it? Pretty sure they sell some cases that come with customisable foam protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

How much of it are you looking for? might be able to sort you out as long as you're not looking for a huge amount of it, I'll have a better idea in the morning when I get into work, may have access to some about 11/2" to 2" thick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

LB6 wrote: »
    would any of the arts and crafts shops have anything like that. Maybe Silkes Catherine Street?

Visited Silkes Saturday (after finding M-Sign was now closed for good)
    for a bit of Foam core! was absolutely shocked at the prices!!! :eek:
    They had 2 sheets of A3 sized 5mm foam core ringing in at over 12 Euros!

~B

Era fek that - I'll ask some of the lads from the sport where they get theirs. They normally use blocks like that and cut them out for the cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Figerty

Get some meddite (fibreboard), Neat work with a jig saw might be all you need.

• Advertisement
Advertisement