Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apartment Pet

• 12-03-2012 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi,

I am dog mad...I have always had one growing up and now that I live in an apartment I am dying to get a small one. I have done a good bit of research and so have a small dog in mind. Am planning to choose carefully and, having so much experience, will train it and care for it properly. I have children and a childminder who comes to the house who is just as dog mad as I am and so we have agreed she can walk the dog daily for an extra fee. The only problem is I am worried about the repricussions. I am an owner but the house rules for tenants are no pets. There are other pets in the complex so I assume they cannot enforce it too strictly but I am worried about if they do. Unfortunately, I am in negative equity and so cannot move. Does anybody know if, as an owner, there is anything the management company could do to me if they decide to enforce this? Thanks in advance, guys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I don't know too much about this, but I would assume since you own the apartment you are in, and the management company owns the entire building, they can enforce that no pets are allowed in their building. Then again, if you own the apartment, I don't see how they could tell you what you can and can't do in it.... At a bit of a loss there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Thats tough one, if you signed a contract with them then I think they can insist on you getting rid of the dog. But that's only if there is a problem; I am renting at the moment and was told by the letting agent the best he could do for me was to give me a contract that says no pets allowed and let me decide whether to bring the dog or not. If I do and there is a problem he can refer to the contract and ask me to get rid of the dog. If there's no complaints then he doesn't care.

It sounds like the management company might take the same approach, if you get a dog that's noisy and your neighbours complain then they may be able to ask you to get rid of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

if you're an owner then the management agent works for you. if you're approached about the dog tell them you'll be getting a petition together from all the voting members in relation to resposible ownership of dogs being allowed in the complex and that you'll be raising it at the next AGM.

thats what we're about to do in my complex. we have a no pets rule but theres quite a lot of dogs and the agents have been making noise. luckily all dogs around here are friendly and always kept on a lead so we seem to have a lot of support so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭TreesAreCrowd

If I bought a property, I would do whatever I liked within/to my property once it's within the lines of the law. No contracted management company would be telling me how to behave in my own home.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Nettekee

Are there other pets in the complex?
    My management company also have a no pets policy, however they seem to turn a blind eye. There are all kinds of dogs large and small living in the complex.

• Advertisement
Advertisement