Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deceased Account Access

Options
  • 12-03-2012 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭

Banking\Legal Q.

My brother and I are the executors of our fathers will.
    Probate has been granted.

Went to his bank three week ago to withdraw a small six figure sum. Provided all the documents required.

Nothing from them since.

Is this delay normal\acceptable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Have you asked the bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭DAT64

Wombatman wrote: »
    Banking\Legal Q.

Went to his bank three week ago to withdraw a small six figure sum. Provided all the documents required.

Nothing from them since.

Its normal, its a long process. Is there a solicitor involved? Usually they deal directly with the bank.
    If you require funds to pay funeral expenses/catering for after funeral, if you produce receipts the bank manager may release some funds for you until it has been fully completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

DAT64 wrote: »
    Its normal, its a long process. Is there a solicitor involved? Usually they deal directly with the bank.
    If you require funds to pay funeral expenses/catering for after funeral, if you produce receipts the bank manager may release some funds for you until it has been fully completed.

Until what has been fully completed? They have the grant of probate, what other process is there to complete?

I did a DIY probate, I went to each institution soon after the death of my aunt, gave them a copy of the death cert (to show she was dead) and the will (naming me as executor) and asked them to freeeze the account. A few months later when I had the grant of probate I paid them a visit, let them take a copy of the grant of probate and I got a cheque in some cases on the spot, in other cases it arrived within a few days.

Edit: OP, given that it's a 'small' six-figure amount, the delay may have something to do with the present state of the Irish banking sector and specifically their lack of liquidity. They're probably dragging their feet bcause they don't have huge amounts of cash sloshing about in the till these days.

I know someone selling a house and their solicitor has told them that time and again he is asked for a postponement on the signing of the final contracts by the buyer's solicitor because the banks are late coming up with the money even well after the loan has been approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Genealogy_Guy

Wombatman wrote: »
    Banking\Legal Q.

Nothing from them since.

You should have gotten some form of response from them by now. As banks are paying little or no interest with money lodged with them, it benefits them to hold onto the money as long as possible.

If you can, go back to the bank and talk to the staff that were dealing with this matter for you. They may have a simple explanation regarding the delay. If no explanation is forthcoming, just hand in a pre-prepared letter asking for an explanation in writing, and get a receipt for the handing in of the letter.

Regards
    Genealogy Guy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Edit: OP, given that it's a 'small' six-figure amount, the delay may have something to do with the present state of the Irish banking sector and specifically their lack of liquidity. They're probably dragging their feet bcause they don't have huge amounts of cash sloshing about in the till these days.

Absolute nonsense. As much as you might like to believe there are branches with only two 10 cent coins sitting in the vault, such sums are still relatively small in the greater scheme of things. Please don't post such speculation which is likely to add even more stress to the OP's already unfortunate situation.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement