Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

has anyone ever made there own gadren pond for fish?

Options
  • 12-03-2012 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

and if any photos . cheers ..

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

irishjay wrote: »
    and if any photos . cheers ..

Yes.

10 feet long,8 feet wide and 4 foot deep.

Koi Carp pond with lots of koi carp and also lots of frogs and frog spawn.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭irishjay

http://www.rockworld.ie/html/preformed_ponds.html them plastic ponds are they of any use paddy?

http://www.rockworld.ie/html/preformed_ponds.html them plastic ponds are they of any use paddy?

I dont know about them,went down the pond liner route.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭buzz

Dito.

I used a beautil lining. Heavey duty plastic..

I built a garden pond, 14 ft long, 6 ft wide, shelf is 2 ft and rest is 4.5ft.
    Have mostly Koi and gold fish. had some of them since 1997!!

paddy147 wrote: »
    Yes.

10 feet long,8 feet wide and 4 foot deep.

Koi Carp pond with lots of koi carp and also lots of frogs and frog spawn.:)

Pic of koi carp pond,complete with koi carp and lots for frogs. (forgot about this thread,sorry).:)

IMG_0589.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

paddy147 wrote: »
    Pic of koi carp pond,complete with koi carp and lots for frogs. (forgot about this thread,sorry).:)

IMG_0589.jpg

What filtration do you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭irishjay

nice pond pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

Love ur pond and koi :) where da frogs? any pics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Any way of keeping herons out? First visit ever from one .. The waterfall was off so he used that to get them after destroying it. I was given cattle fencing to try .

Heron are a nitemare.

Aqua Village have this new Heron alarm which lets high pitch noises to scare them off.. I have lost so many fish over the years to them. Even tried the fake Heron, waste of time. Unfortunately they are protected species.

• Advertisement

I have dogs that would keep setting it off. I gave my remaining fish to a mate to mind until i get sorted with a solution. Il try the fence and see how it goes,
    I have to get an 8000 litre pump somwhere as well for the new stream i built :(

I have dogs that would keep setting it off. I gave my remaining fish to a mate to mind until i get sorted with a solution. Il try the fence and see how it goes,

Try Aqua Village in Brittis near blessington. They do a lot of pond stuff

You dont need fancy gadgets.

All you need is a roll of green plant climber/training wire and run it accross the pond,at a height of about 1-2 feet.

The heron has to fly in,and as the heron has a large wingspan,it cannot get down to the pond,because of the plant climber/training wire.

Very cheap,and very effective,proven method,as shown below in my girlfriends Koi Carp pond.:)

You can also try Pondworld up beside Tullies Nurseries in Ballyboughal,North County Dublin.:)

They specialize in anything to do with ponds and lakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭RossPaws

We made our own pond. It's only a small one, we're in the process of making it bigger to accomodate the koi, which are getting huge. We've also got a ton of tadpoles right now, and want to get some sturgeon once it's bigger.

Here's ours from a few days ago when we were doing a water change (in the middle of a bit of an algae situation atm!)

PondandRatVite035.jpg

PondandRatVite043.jpg

PondandRatVite038.jpg

The algae is most likely from poor filtration . Those hozelock all in one pumps aren't great for koi . I had the same problem

The algae is most likely from poor filtration . Those hozelock all in one pumps aren't great for koi . I had the same problem

As did I. I had 2 of them running 24 hours a day but with Koi that size it is not enough... If your going bigger pond, go external filtration and think about a UV filter as well, really help my pond clear.. My water went green nearly.. Within a week of the UV running it was crystal clear. Those hozelocks need to be cleaned out every week or 2, otherwise they get so full it stops filtering properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭RossPaws

We were definitely thinking of going for external filtration once it's bigger, but we have to buy things one at a time because some of it is just so expensive! We got a tiny packet of eco-gold a while back and it barely made a dent in the algae. As it is right now, we're cleaning that filter out every day just to keep it the way it is, which as you can see there isn't great.

Thanks for the advice, I'll jot that down for the next visit to the gardening shops. The UV definitely sounds like the way to go here. :)

The UVC bulbs are €5 for those pumps .. Maybe yours is gone ?? They Should be changed every year . Why not make your own filter? Ie toy boxes, foam media pipe ect from eBay . It can be buried level beside the pond and act as a skimmer . Cover over with a plant container. I'm planning on getting my pond back up and running .. just need the right pump that's not going to cost a fortune to run .

• Registered Users Posts: 11 wreckmaster

I have started digging out a new pond this week and would welcome any help or tips from those who have already done the DIY pond.
    I am going with the liner as the pond is an odd shape.
    Dimensions 14f X 14f depth from 1 to 3 feet .
    Fish, Koi + others .
    I am going to build a stone wall inside the pond and up to ground level, to finish I will put the sod back on top of the stone so will have the grass right up to the edge.
    First piece of advice , Pump and filter.
    Is there a Pump and Filter combo or do I need two separate appliances ?,
    What size pump ?,
    What make ? ,
    where will I get one ? ,

Thanks

• Advertisement

Go for an external filter easier to keep and a necessity if your keeping koi,You dont need anything fancy ,just one big enough to handle the waste. Im planning on using an 8000-9000L pump on mine which is plenty for my pond and black toy boxes full of media and foam along with an 11 watt uvc . My current pond is only 2 m long x 1.30m wide x 1m deep with a 7-8 meter stream and a lower pond and 2 waterfalls . Ive only tiny koi and plan on going bigger next year! 4m x 2 1/2 x 1m

also if you can use something like an old cut up carpet between the brick and pond liner. I went into a carpet shop and asked for a few samples. The guy gave me about 10 full carpet books from the previous year. Sound. Last thing you need is a leak from the pressure of the water on a jagged piece of brick!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Do you need planning permission if you plan to put in a pond ???

I never looked for any . How big of a pond are you looking at making ?

campo wrote: »
    Do you need planning permission if you plan to put in a pond ???

Not if the council cant see into your back garden:P

buzz wrote: »
    Not if the council cant see into your back garden:P

You need full planning permission for a front/side driveway in a garden.

You also need full planning permission for a garage over 25 square meters in size.There alse must be a minimum of 25 square meters of private leisure space/garden between the house and the site of the garage aswell,before you can build a garage.

But you dont need planning permission for a pond in your garden.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭slim4life

The plastic ponds are useless long term. They dont allow for the ground to move around them, and should this happen in cold or wet weather they buckle under the pressure. The liner is by far the better option as it moves with the ground, also should you need to adjust it at all its easily done. Buy the best one you can afford, they usually come with a 35 year guarantee.

Paddy-great pond! What litre capacity is your filter? And can I ask was it expensive to do? I plan on making mine allot bigger but the price of the filter systems etc is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

slim4life wrote: »
    The plastic ponds are useless long term. They dont allow for the ground to move around them, and should this happen in cold or wet weather they buckle under the pressure. The liner is by far the better option as it moves with the ground, also should you need to adjust it at all its easily done. Buy the best one you can afford, they usually come with a 35 year guarantee.

Paddy-great pond! What litre capacity is your filter? And can I ask was it expensive to do? I plan on making mine allot bigger but the price of the filter systems etc is crazy.

Not necessarily, plastic prefabricated ponds are very good if you plan on making a raised pond. The plastic / fiberglass is reinforced by the frame (usually brickwork) that is supporting it. They can be a bit of work to put together correctly but they're in no way inferior when done correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭slim4life

Hey guys just asking about building a bigger pond. I currently have a 2000ltr pond with an underwater pump/filter unit. Thehe fish dont seem to be growing too much in this and there are only around 10 in it. I would like to make the pond bigger which isnt a problem in terms of the actual labour..but the cost of filters is huge! I read here that some people made there own. Firstly, is there a chaper option than a €5000 filter that will still work to the same efficiency and provide clear water? If the only other option is to build my own filter what about putting a UV unit in?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I've heard that All Pond Solutions in the UK are good for pond filters and so on.

http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/pond/pond-pumps/pumps.html

Advertisement