Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul McCartney in Dublin?!?!?

Options
  • 12-03-2012 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Anyone know if Paul McCartney is coming to Dublin again this year? Gutted I missed him last time he was in the 02 I had exams on... Just really want to see him. Hope he won't settle down and not tour with this new wife...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

No clue, nothing's been announced yet.

I hope he will play in the O2 again but so far its looking unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,594 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Seriously, will he ever juts f&^% off. Livin' off the Beatles since 1970. Has been!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Him and Dylan are boring old farts, Leonard Cohen is the only one from that era that I look forward to seeing live again.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭jack67

walshb
    for a has been,still selling out concerts all over the world.paul macartney is a legend.:)

jack67 wrote: »
    walshb
    for a has been,still selling out concerts all over the world.paul macartney is a legend.:)

I know. The older the dog the bigger the sell it seems. Has done nothing of note since The Beatles, and with them, it was always Lennon who was the real engine. I know Paul wrote many songs, but so what, it was Lennon who was the real inspiration, figurehead so to speak.

Just never ever got Paul. Very ordinary, bland, boring. Had he not been a Beatle I doubt he'd be even known today.

• Advertisement

yep here is the boring old fart that achieved nothing after the beatles.:D
    Main article: List of awards received by Paul McCartney
    170px-Paul_McCartney_on_stage_in_Prague.jpgmagnify-clip.png
    McCartney performing in Prague, 6 June 2004

McCartney is listed in The Guinness Book Of Records as the most successful musician and composer in popular music history with sales of 100 million singles and 60 gold discs,[231] "Sir Paul McCartney became the Most Successful Songwriter who has written/co written 188 charted records, of which 91 reached the Top 10 and 33 made it to No.1 totalling 1,662 weeks on the chart (up to the beginning of 2008)."[232]
    In the US, McCartney has achieved thirty-two number-one singles on the Billboard Hot 100, including twenty-one with The Beatles,[7] one as a co-writer on Elton John's cover of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds",[10] nine solo, with Wings or other collaborators,[8] and one as the composer of "A World Without Love", a number one single for Peter and Gordon.[9] In the UK, McCartney has been involved in more number-one singles than any other artist under a variety of credits, although Elvis Presley has achieved more as a solo artist. McCartney has twenty four number-one singles in the UK, including seventeen with the Beatles, one solo, and one each with Wings, Stevie Wonder, Ferry Aid, Band Aid, Band Aid 20 and one with "The Christians et all".[6] McCartney is the only artist to reach the UK number one as a soloist ("Pipes of Peace"), duo ("Ebony and Ivory" with Stevie Wonder), trio ("Mull of Kintyre", Wings), quartet ("She Loves You", The Beatles), quintet ("Get Back", The Beatles with Billy Preston), and as part of a musical ensemble for charity (Ferry Aid).[233]
    McCartney was voted the "Greatest Composer of the Millennium" by BBC News Online readers and McCartney's song "Yesterday" is thought to be the most covered song in history with more than 2,200 recorded versions[3] and according to the BBC, "The track is the only one by a UK writer to have been aired more than seven million times on American TV and radio and is third in the all-time list. Sir Paul McCartney's Yesterday is the most played song by a British writer this century in the US."[4] After its 1977 release, the Wings single "Mull of Kintyre" became the highest-selling record in British chart history, and remained so until 1984.[234] (Three charity singles have since surpassed it in sales; the first to do so, in 1984, was Band Aid's "Do They Know It's Christmas?" in which McCartney was a participant.)
    On 2 July 2005, he was involved with the fastest-released single in history. His performance of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" with U2 at Live 8 was released only 45 minutes after it was performed, before the end of the concert.[235] The single reached number six on the Billboard charts, just hours after the single's release, and hit number one on numerous online download charts across the world.[236] McCartney played for the largest stadium audience in history when 184,000 people paid to see him perform at Maracanã Stadium in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on 21 April 1990.[237]
    McCartney's scheduled concert in St Petersburg, Russia was his 3,000th concert and took place in front of 60,000 fans in Russia, on 20 June 2004.[238] Over his career, McCartney has played 2,523 gigs with The Beatles, 140 with Wings, and 325 as a solo artist.[239] Only his second concert in Russia, with the first just the year before on Moscow's Red Square as the former Communist U.S.S.R. had previously banned music from The Beatles as a "corrupting influence", McCartney hired three jets, at a reported cost of $36,000 (€29,800) (£28,000), to spray dry ice in the clouds above Saint Petersburg's Winter Palace Square in a successful attempt to prevent rain.[240]
    The day McCartney flew into the former Soviet country, he celebrated his 62nd birthday, and after the concert, according to RIA Novosti news agency, he received a phone call from a fan; then-President Vladimir Putin, who telephoned him after the concert to wish him a happy birthday.
    220px-Mccartney_gershwin.pngmagnify-clip.png
    McCartney receiving the Gershwin Award from President Barack Obama in the White House, June 2010

In the concert programme for his 1989 world tour, McCartney wrote that Lennon received all the credit for being the avant-garde Beatle,[71] and McCartney was known as "baby-faced", which he disagreed with.[241] People also assumed that Lennon was the "hard-edged one", and McCartney was the "soft-edged" Beatle,[23] although McCartney admitted to "bossing Lennon around."[242] Linda McCartney said that McCartney had a "hard-edge" – and not just on the surface – which she knew about after all the years she had spent living with him.[23][243] McCartney seemed to confirm this edge when he commented that he sometimes meditates, which he said is better than "sleeping, eating, or shouting at someone".[179]
    The minor planet 4148, discovered in 1983, was named "McCartney" in his honour.[244]
    On 18 June 2006, McCartney celebrated his 64th birthday, a milestone that was the subject of one of the first songs he ever wrote, at the age of sixteen,[245] The Beatles' song "When I'm Sixty-Four". Paul Vallely noted in The Independent:
    Paul McCartney's 64th birthday is not merely a personal event. It is a cultural milestone for a generation. Such is the nature of celebrity, McCartney is one of those people who has represented the hopes and aspirations of those born in the baby-boom era, which had its awakening in the Sixties.
    —Paul Vallely, 2006[246]
    McCartney received his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on 9 February 2012, the last one of the Fab Four to receive the honor.[247]
    McCartney will receive the MusiCares Person of the Year honour on 10 February 2012.[67]

I didn't say that he didn't achieve any accolades, I meant his own music since the (overrated) Beatles is shiite. Selling out arenas and having 30 top 10 songs or whatever is no sign of quality, mediocrity sells in this world unfortunately. Leonards Cohen's humour, clever wordplay and insight into the human condition make him still relevant today. Plus his new album is great unlike any of Paul Mc Cartneys since Sgt. Peppers.

leonard cohen now theres a boring old fart,

"On 2 July 2005, he was involved with the fastest-released single in history. His performance of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" with U2 at Live 8 was released only 45 minutes after it was performed, before the end of the concert."

Says it all. Rehashing old Beatles tracks. This is 50 year old material. And, that track is pretty poor anyway. Music fans today are gluttons for mediocrity. They'll grab at anything.

That Live 8 concert was pretty dour. And, he was pretty dour on it. Him and that poncy poser, Bono. The egos on them.

leonard cohen now theres a boring old fart,

People with taste would disagree, anyway, I'll leave you to the Frog Song and Mull of Kintyre.

• Advertisement

"McCartney received his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame" So did Mr. Ed the talking horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

Paul McCartney a has been?

Sure he's losing his voice and Bob Dylans is long gone but they are still legends! And nothing since the Beatles??? What about that little ten-year fling known as wings?!?!? Now that was something to be proud of!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I didn't say that he didn't achieve any accolades, I meant his own music since the (overrated) Beatles is shiite. Selling out arenas and having 30 top 10 songs or whatever is no sign of quality, mediocrity sells in this world unfortunately. Leonards Cohen's humour, clever wordplay and insight into the human condition make him still relevant today. Plus his new album is great unlike any of Paul Mc Cartneys since Sgt. Peppers.

Yeah well, thats just like, uh, your opinion man.

Paul McCartney a has been?

Sure he's losing his voice and Bob Dylans is long gone but they are still legends! And nothing since the Beatles??? What about that little ten-year fling known as wings?!?!? Now that was something to be proud of!

Wings were a snooze fest, no one mentions them anymore and apart from their Crimbo song you never hear them anymore either.

People with taste would disagree, anyway, I'll leave you to the Frog Song and Mull of Kintyre.

and ill leave you to sisters of mercy, lol.....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I saw Macca a few years ago in the o2 and he was the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

you never hear them anymore either.

That obviously must mean they are a failure, of course. Yet you hear **** like one direction and katy perry nowadays... What were you saying about snoozefests?

and ill leave you to sisters of mercy, lol.....:eek:

Cheers one of my favourites by Lenny.

Yeah well, thats just like, uh, your opinion man.

"Ain't nuttin but a thang" as the man said.

Cheers one of my favourites by Lenny.

omg you poor thing,:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I saw him play the Liverpool Echo Arena last december where he sang 45 songs from the Beatle /Wings back catalogue, including 'The Night Before ' from the Help album which until this tour, he had never sang live before .

One of the best concerts I've ever attended which will live long in the memory ,the mans a legend and one of the few still around who can fit into that elite .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

And nothing since the Beatles??? What about that little ten-year fling known as wings?!?!? Now that was something to be proud of!

The band The Beatles could have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

Latchy wrote: »
    I saw him play the Liverpool Echo Arena last december where he sang 45 songs from the Beatle /Wings back catalogue, including 'The Night Before ' from the Help album which until this tour, he had never sang live before .

One of the best concerts I've ever attended which will live long in the memory ,the mans a legend and one of the few still around who can fit into that elite .

I was there too. I have never seen anything like it in my life. Paul is the last of his kind. There is no one who can compare. I'm glad I saw him in Liverpool.
    Saw him 4 times now, hope he comes to Dublin again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Superbus wrote: »
    The band The Beatles could have been.

thank christ that didn't happen

why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,887 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Wings were a snooze fest, no one mentions them anymore and apart from their Crimbo song you never hear them anymore either.

I don't know about you but I've often heard that being played on the radio

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭Rigsby

FFS, people !!! :rolleyes: The OP asked a simple question as to whether anyone knew if McCarthney was coming to Dublin again.

OK, those who dont like him, obviously could not care less whether he does or not. That's fair enough. There are a LOT of people who do care however.

To each their own. It would be a boring old world if we all liked the same things. So give up the childish "X is better than Y" bickering, and answer the OP's question if you know for sure that he is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

OK folks big fan of McCartney here saw him twice in Dublin, in the Hammersmith Apollo and the Echo Arena in liverpool.
    This is all I know right now, there are no Dublin rumours right now but he had been scheduled to do some shows in Denmark in July but he cancelled them because he wants to reschedule them later on as part of a European tour. So hopefully this winter or next spring he will do another mini tour of Europe and include Dublin.

He was absolutely unreal both times I saw him in Dublin, he seemed a lot different and happy than he did when I saw him in England! The O2 was maybe a better gig because that is the best venue in the world in my opinion. But I lean towards the RDS show because I had a front row ticket :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I was there too. I have never seen anything like it in my life. Paul is the last of his kind. There is no one who can compare. I'm glad I saw him in Liverpool.
    Saw him 4 times now, hope he comes to Dublin again soon.
    Yes ...that was my expierence and everybody I spoke to who was there on the night .I suppose like many Beatle/Wings fans I grew up with all the songs so to finally see him in concert was one of the highlight of my life and people can diss him all they like , I take no notice .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

I would not be a big Beatles fan but Wings were a great band with a few great albums. I saw McCartney in the RDS in 04 and I was at the 02 show in December a few years back and both shows were superb. I hope he returns again.

Advertisement