Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Subject Choice - Is this too much?

• 12-03-2012 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭

Without being cocky, I think I am a fairly smart student. I got 7 As in the Junior but didn't A things like Irish, English, TG and Religion.

I am planning on doing 9 Leaving Cert subjects to try and maximise my points and I want to know what your opinions are on this.

Basically, these are what I'm planning to do:

Maths
    Irish (Will do OL so I don't have to spend so much time at Irish).
    English (Not something I am strong at but will work at).
    French (Speak it anyways due to previously living abroad).
    Physics
    Economics (External).
    Accounting
    Applied Maths
    Biology/Business

I was thinking that the fact I wouldn't be putting much into Irish and I don't need to work so much for French that the fact it is 9 subjects doesn't truly reflect on the work I will have to do.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Why do 9 subjects of only 6 are counted? You'll have to take time to do 3 extra subjects, which could easily be invested into 6 - 7 subjects to maximise your points.

Just work on your top 7 and branch off into preferred 6 into final months of leaving cert!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

To maximise my points mate.

I am very weak in Irish and I struggle to get high Bs in English so already, that's reducing the amount of points I can get at maximum.

The fact I won't have to put much work into French and Irish means that I have time to pick up another subject that I can get an A in with the right work.

I'm aiming high with points as the courses I want are nearly all at least 545 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

I do 8 and I find that to be quite enough. There's no point whatsoever in doing nine, to be frank. Do 7 or 8, work at them and get high marks rather than getting 9 C3's or something, unless of course you have your heart set on doing nine. But personally, I believe it's far easier to maximize one's points by doing 7 or 8 subjects well rather than spreading yourself thin over 9; They'll only count 6 anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

Pick up Chemistry aswell, don't bother going to English or Irish. A well known method used by alot of students is 3 sciences maths applied maths and language to get the 600, you could try that, it generally works for people if you work. Don't see the point in the Business. G'luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Why do you want to do nine subjects? If you really must do an extra one surely eight would be more than enough!

And I know you said you weren't cocky but try not to get complacent. I got seven As in my Junior Cert too. It was the worst thing that ever happened to me! I ended up not working and getting 435 in the Leaving, which was a lot less than what I'm capable of. So just try to forget about your Junior Cert results. The Leaving Cert is a whole other ball game.

• Advertisement

Togepi wrote: »
    I ended up not working and getting 435 in the Leaving, which was a lot less than what I'm capable of. So just try to forget about your Junior Cert results. The Leaving Cert is a whole other ball game.

Aye, I understand that. I say it myself too. Though after the JC Mocks (I know, a different ball game) I woke up as regard work rate in school.

But as I said, just looking for advice guys. Not asking for sharp questions as to why I'm considering 9. For all the little experience I have, I might as well do 12...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I got 9 As in the junior cert, and believe me, what you got in the junior cert is pretty irrelevant when it comes to the leaving. There's no comparison at all in the amount of work. I was thinking about doing 9 subjects too in fourth year, but I'm quite glad I stuck with 8. 9 would've just stressed me out, although my 8 are all at higher level. I'm in a similar situation as regards European language - don't do any work for German.

Hmm, I can't see any real issue with starting out doing 9 subjects, if you find that you hate one of them or are really struggling with it, you can always drop it. If you're certain that English isn't going to be in your top 6, you could consider doing pass, as honours takes a lot of time and work.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Doing 9 subjects won't max out your points. Getting A1s in 6 subjects will.

finality wrote: »
    I got 9 As in the junior cert, and believe me, what you got in the junior cert is pretty irrelevant when it comes to the leaving. There's no comparison at all in the amount of work. I was thinking about doing 9 subjects too in fourth year, but I'm quite glad I stuck with 8. 9 would've just stressed me out, although my 8 are all at higher level. I'm in a similar situation as regards European language - don't do any work for German.

Aye, this is the type of experience I was looking for in the thread :o I already know about the JC to LC craic. Been told it a lot and it's gotten to the stage that I'm already telling 3rd years it :D

But as for the workload you're advising me on, cheers. Chances of me doing 9 are very little now!

reznov wrote: »
    Doing 9 subjects won't max out your points. Getting A1s in 6 subjects will.

Aye, I know that but there is less than a 5% chance that I could get an A1 in Irish or English, even with tonnes of effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

leaving cert is a completely different ball game than the junior cert. Dont get your hopes up. I have a friend who got 6 As in the j.c and she only got 495 points last year and she worked every day in fifth and sixth year.

• Advertisement

Mr.Fun wrote: »
    leaving cert is a completely different ball game than the junior cert. Dont get your hopes up. I have a friend who got 6 As in the j.c and she only got 495 points last year and she worked every day in fifth and sixth year.

Did you read my post above yours? :mad: :D

As I said (twice :) ) I know it's a completely different ball game. Thanks anyways :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Without being cocky, I think I am a fairly smart student. I got 7 As in the Junior but didn't A things like Irish, English, TG and Religion.

I am planning on doing 9 Leaving Cert subjects to try and maximise my points and I want to know what your opinions are on this.

Basically, these are what I'm planning to do:

Maths
    Irish (Will do OL so I don't have to spend so much time at Irish).
    English (Not something I am strong at but will work at).
    French (Speak it anyways due to previously living abroad).
    Physics
    Economics (External).
    Accounting
    Applied Maths
    Biology/Business

I was thinking that the fact I wouldn't be putting much into Irish and I don't need to work so much for French that the fact it is 9 subjects doesn't truly reflect on the work I will have to do.

Thanks in advance :)
    Hi, I only do the bare 6 Higher Subjects (English, Geography, French, Business, Music, Economics).
    I didn't do an awful lot of work for the Mocks and got 510 points. With the French Oral, Music Practical, Geography Project and 3 months of Serious revision i'd say I could easily go to 550.

You say you need 545 points, my advice to you. Pick your strongest 7 not 9 as I honestly think that's too much and work at them from day 1 in 5th year. There's no doubt in my mind that if you are diligent, study hard and choose subjects your good at that you won't achieve 545 points.

I won't patronise you as I can see your willing to work, but it's a hard slog with 6/7 HL Subjects, I wouldn't go adding on extras if at all possible!

P.S. Do Business and Economics, they compliment eachother so well and if you have an interest and work hard at them there's little doubt in my mind you'll achieve less than an A2 in both of them!

You say you need 545 points, my advice to you. Pick your strongest 7 not 9 as I honestly think that's too much and work at them from day 1 in 5th year. There's no doubt in my mind that if you are diligent, study hard and choose subjects your good at that you won't achieve 545 points.

I won't patronise you as I can see your willing to work, but it's a hard slog with 6/7 HL Subjects, I wouldn't go adding on extras if at all possible!

P.S. Do Business and Economics, they compliment eachother so well and if you have an interest and work hard at them there's little doubt in my mind you'll achieve less than an A2 in both of them!

Cheers! The problem with picking my strongest 7 instead of 9 is that if I do 7, that includes English and Irish, two subjects I have always struggled at, regardless of the effort I put in. So I'd prefer to have 6 definite subjects that I can get A1s in (maximum) as opposed to English and Irish being in my top 6 where the maximum is B2 or so, if you know what I'm getting at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Aye, this is the type of experience I was looking for in the thread :o I already know about the JC to LC craic. Been told it a lot and it's gotten to the stage that I'm already telling 3rd years it :D

But as for the workload you're advising me on, cheers. Chances of me doing 9 are very little now!

Aye, I know that but there is less than a 5% chance that I could get an A1 in Irish or English, even with tonnes of effort.

I do know what you mean, I don't think I'm capable of an A in Irish no matter what I do. It's handy to have an extra subject that I could actually potentially do well in, just in case I mess something up on the day. If you do ordinary level Irish and English that would really reduce the workload - then I would consider doing 9 subjects, but if you're keeping them at honours I would stick with 8. You also have to consider the fact that doing 9 subjects will involve taking up 2 subjects outside school - it's pretty time consuming just doing one extra. If you do 8 subjects you won't have to count Irish or English anyway, so to me it does seem like the best option.

finality wrote: »
    I do know what you mean, I don't think I'm capable of an A in Irish no matter what I do. It's handy to have an extra subject that I could actually potentially do well in, just in case I mess something up on the day. If you do ordinary level Irish and English that would really reduce the workload - then I would consider doing 9 subjects, but if you're keeping them at honours I would stick with 8. You also have to consider the fact that doing 9 subjects will involve taking up 2 subjects outside school - it's pretty time consuming just doing one extra. If you do 8 subjects you won't have to count Irish or English anyway, so to me it does seem like the best option.

For me, it would be 9 subjects (if I were to do so) with only 1 outside school.
    Applied Maths is taught in our school. 2 classes a week and taught to do 6 of the 10 questions on the course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 aki

Hello im currently in fifth year and am doing eight subjects for the leving cert.
    I hope to do medicine and achieve close to 600.

I am usually very good at most of my subjects (Biology, chemisrty, ag science, german and french.

Average at english and irish and maths.

Generally i do well in the subjects where you are rewarded purely for excellent study.

Im hoping to pick up an extra subject in the summer in order to increase my chances of getting more A's.

However, i am torn between which subject to choose as i have no experience.
    I was thinking about economics, businees or geography
    Which do you think is the best for self learning and which one rewards you a lot for a lot of hardwork(study)?
    Which one can i realistically pick up in the summer and get on with?
    I am a hardworker but dont have any real interest in them.
    I study purely for grades.
    Your help would be greatly appreciated .
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I'd go with Geography purely because you already do Biology and Ag, and those three are supposed to be a good combination because there's some overlap between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Are you mad? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

aki wrote: »
    Which do you think is the best for self learning and which one rewards you a lot for a lot of hardwork(study)?
    Thanks.

Careful!! Geography has a project that needs to be signed off by a teacher!

I wouldn't go picking a subject you've no interest in.. :/ You'd get bored too easily.. :P

Look here... http://www.curriculumonline.ie/en/Post-Primary_Curriculum/Senior_Cycle_Curriculum/Leaving_Certificate_Established/

There's tons of different subjects.. try to go for one you like! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

To the OP

If I were you then I would drop physics and take on both business and biology.
    I did business and economics and despite there not being much overlap in the courses there is a good advantage in doing both.
    Biology isn't too bad a subject aswell I hear if you put in the work, there are statistics on grades IIRC on the examinations website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruadhan

aki wrote: »
    Hello im currently in fifth year and am doing eight subjects for the leving cert.
    I hope to do medicine and achieve close to 600.

I am usually very good at most of my subjects (Biology, chemisrty, ag science, german and french.

Average at english and irish and maths.

Generally i do well in the subjects where you are rewarded purely for excellent study.

Im hoping to pick up an extra subject in the summer in order to increase my chances of getting more A's.

Thanks.

A MUCH better idea instead of wasting loads of time picking up a new subject would be to try study up on irish or english or maths. I don't know what what you're like so i can't say which would be best but if you're good at french and germanthen obviously you should be good with languages. All the those new subjects you mentioned take you a lot of extra work and study which would just end up taking away from your current subjects. Surely maths is something that rewards you if you study hard?? and you must be smart if you want to go for medicine and I don't know any medics or people with such high points personally that didn't do higher maths well.

Anyway, I'd listen to me if I were you, considering I got 600.
    And to OP, I wouldn't count on doing a subject by yourself i.e. economics, its not always a good idea. Just do 8 subjects you might be better off. though if you do ordinary irish it might be doable. I did 8 higher subjects and aced them all, it all depends on you and your abilities really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

When I did the LC I did 8, same as what you're looking at except no accounting. I took all Higher Level though. If you're planning on Higher Level Maths and/or Higher Applied Maths, I would say limit yourself at 8. Those subjects have a lot in them. All of them do really. If you take on too many subjects, you will tire yourself out and have a too heavy workload and end up getting less points than if you just try to focus & work hard at a smaller number of subjects.

From personal experience of having taken 8 subjects, don't take on more than that. You will just limit how much you can actually achieve in each subject by having to spread out your time more.

Advertisement