Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kaffir D dentastone / Dental Plaster

• 12-03-2012 8:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know for sure (ie without guessing) of anyplace other that
    Brooks Builders merchant's that sells Denastone in 25KG bags ?

Or more specifically Kaffir D dentastone formula which is much stronger than dental plaster:
    http://www.saintgobainformula.com/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-62/171_read-145/

I normally get it in Brooks but this news has me worried for the place:
    (the last few times I've been in the've been out of stock.)
    http://insideireland.ie/2012/02/16/building-group-go-into-examinership-56107/

One of my uber nerd hobbies is model making using dentastone.
    Have not done it in a few years but looking to get back into the hobby.

Over the years I've searched different DIY/Co-op's/Art suppliers/Dental Suppliers/Building places and so far Brooks on the Ballysimon road was the only place I could get 25kg bags of it.
    (I tend to go through about 75kg at a time)
    Most places wont order a few bags in, they need to order at least a pallet
    or in Brooks case I think they need an order of 25 tonnes before they do a re-stock.

Its not the kinda thing you want to be ordering and paying for postage!
    as the post will be more than the cost of the product itself.

Light Casting Plaster or Plaster of Paris as sold for crazy prices in Art Stores 1kg at a time is useless since its not strong enough.

~B

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Get mine out in Brooks too so will be hoping they get it back in.

The only other place I have ever seen it is from Dental Supplies like www.dmi.ie . Don't think the postage is too bad but they should be able to quote you on it before you make an order.

If anyone knows anywhere else in Limerick that does it it would be handy to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Jofspring wrote: »
    Get mine out in Brooks too so will be hoping they get it back in.

The only other place I have ever seen it is from Dental Supplies like www.dmi.ie . Don't think the postage is too bad but they should be able to quote you on it before you make an order.

If anyone knows anywhere else in Limerick that does it it would be handy to know.

Yeah saw that place before and was almost tempted but dont think they are local so delivery and postage would be a bitch.

Brooks in fairness over the years have been fantastic to deal with its
    just lately the stocks are not being replenished lately. And their prices are great compared to other places.

What do you use the plaster for ?
    I've been curious as when you walk into Brooks to see there is 1bag of plaster left from a pallet of 94+ you kind of think that there is not that
    many dentists in Limerick using the stuff, and the builders/craftsmen that
    do decorations for ceilings etc would use the light casting plaster which is cheaper softer and lighter and uses less powder per water volume. I would
    have thought there was very little demand for it in Limerick but somehow the stuff sells!!

Light Casting Powder = ****e!
    Dental Plaster = most economical price wise but still soft
    Kaffir D = very nice hardness vs price tag.

The old Kaffir was the best I could of expected to obtain in Limerick
    since the better quality plasters nobody in Ireland seems to stock.

Here's what I get upto with the stuff:
    th_431746_2542533137647_1683296550_1741997_1805008013_n.jpgth_409372_2542533897666_1683296550_1741998_1636916674_n.jpgth_405210_2333225825095_1683296550_1666639_2104788272_n.jpg
    th_396015_2333224225055_1683296550_1666638_110830431_n.jpgth_378154_2333226705117_1683296550_1666640_671034970_n.jpgth_PICT0001.jpg
    th_PICT0002.jpgth_PICT0003.jpgth_PICT0007.jpg
    th_PICT0008.jpgth_PICT0011.jpg

~B

Use it for Dental work, casting of mouth impressions etc…..

Ya any time I go in there only ever seems to be a few bags left. I get a bag about once a month as the White casting plaster does for a lot of the work and the Kaffir D is only needed for impressions.

There is probably about 5 or 6 labs in Limerick that get it there but I doubt if many of the Dentists buy it so I don't know who else could be using it. It lasts a good while when it comes in the 25kg bags so someone must be using it for a lot of work.

I know there is some guy that uses the White Casting Plaster and he gets its in Buckleys, usually buys about 10 bags at a time according to the lads in Buckleys.

Pretty cool stuff you've got there Bullets. Have never seen the Kaffir D used for that kind of work.

I could be wrong but the postage would probably be in around the €15 euro mark or may be a little more. I haven't ordered KD from DMI in a year or two so unsure of the current delivery price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

asked someone there for ya bullets but they said your average dentist doesn't use that much of it, maybe one of the labs could do you a deal? That games workshop type place down in Paul st. shopping centre in Cork (if its still goin) would they know where to get supplies?

Just to let you know Bullets I was in Brooks this morning and they had about 8 bags of 25kg KD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Jofspring wrote: »
    Just to let you know Bullets I was in Brooks this morning and they had about 8 bags of 25kg KD.

Cheers thanks for letting me know had planned on checking with them
    Saturday until I realized it they would be closed for St. Patricks Day,
    will try and grab a few bags of it to keep me going next pay day.

Pity the stuff has a shelf life! I had to dump loads of it that I had in storage
    as over a few months it went off and was unworkable. Once it absorbs a little
    moisture from the air it sets up too fast and cant be used for fine high detail castings.

I must try sometime to do a mouth impression! despite using the plaster for years I've never once
    used it for its intended purpose :-)

~B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

bullets wrote: »
    I must try sometime to do a mouth impression! despite using the plaster for years I've never once
    used it for its intended purpose :-)

~B

Well you say you use about 75KG of this stuff at a time so I reckon Kess is your man there :D

Advertisement