Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping in Killarney NP

Options
  • 12-03-2012 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Two friends and myself were thinking of heading to kerry for 3-4 days for a hike and I was wondering if anyone has camped in Killarney national park before? Obviously your not supposed to but its the best way to experience the mountains in my opinion. We are well aquanted with mountainering (from wicklow) so there shouldnt be any indications that we where there the next day!.

What would happen if we were caught camping?
    Also, any general tips on the trip? Its planned for easter, sometime.

Thanks in advance! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

I was always under the impression that 'wild camping' was no great problem in the national parks here. That is, away from the road, up the hills, you stick up your tent in the afternoon/evening and pack up next morning, leaving no detritus.

What is a problem is camping near amenity areas for several nights in a row and/or leaving rubbish etc.

Whatever about the rights and wrongs of it, it's extremely unlikely that any warden will come across you in an out of the way place, expecially if you just pull in for the night. There's very little difference between this type of camping with a lightweight tent and just bivouacing with a bag, where you lie down in the heather.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭ClimberC

Thats what i was thinking, i have done it for years in wicklow and never had any problems. Thats being said, a tent is more obvious thab a bivvy, but i cant afford one :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

I've actually done this, albeit under a tarp, in the Reeks, Black Valley and around there. The actual national park is quite small and extremely well policed. If you camp in there in the Summer months, you'll be moved on. In the rest of the mountains, it's very easy to find a secluded spot where you'd never been seen and bed down. Anywhere visible from the Kerry Way or any of the other waymarked trails might get you moved on, too, at least in the summer. Tourism is big business, and they protect there image jealously, so discretion is the best path.

Of the two times I was down there camping, the first was back in the big freeze, when just about everything froze, even my dehydrated meals, and my MSR pocket rocket wouldn't light, only flare and go out. I traveled an entire day along the Kerry Way without coming across or seeing another person. It was magical. The other time was about this time of year, with cool, showery weather, and the place was packed. There were coachloads of people anywhere a trail crosses a road, from dawn 'till dusk. There was actually a queue to get onto the trail up by the waterfall at Torc.

The first time, I could have slung my hammock across the main road and been okay, the second time required some stealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Chris O Donoghue

We're just back from a camping trip to the area south of Mangerton/Croghane, around Dromderalough. The area has some of the best scenery in Kerry, tiny lakes, rugged terrain, volcanic rock formations. Its very quiet so you'll have no problems with camping i'd reckon.
    The national park boundary goes through the area so you could maybe stay the legal side of it if you are worried.
    You can walk in from the standard Crohane or Mangerton access routes, or from Galweys Bridge, or from the car park on the Kilgarvan Road at Rossacroonaloo. (044 788)

The National Park has a lot of wardens around, plus a lot of footfall, so there are few very secluded areas apart from where Chris was. Even at that they'd probably see you if you have any light...but there is no road in there from the Park side and it's miles off the old Kenmare/Killarney road that snakes between Torc and Mangerton and under Shaking Rock.

You can also access it via Kenmare and the Knockrower side, and there is an old track up from there near lakes Cummeenslaun and Nambrackdearg...this is outside the National Park and the wardens area so might actually be a better bet. You wouldn't get too many of the local farmers up there really.

The area around the Reeks would provide more camping opportunities, and is not policed by the wardens, but it's much busier than the eastern end of the Mangertons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

I've discussed this with NP wardens in the past and unless there has been a sea change in how they view things, by and large there is no great issue with responsible backpacking/ mountain camping. You stick your tent up for the night and move on next day, leaving 'no trace'. There's a world of difference between that type of camping and the bowsies who drive down for the weekend with a few slabs of beer..

I've also camped in other national parks abroad, Parc National Pyrennes etc. and again never had a problem with mountain camping.

You can also access it via Kenmare and the Knockrower side, and there is an old track up from there near lakes Cummeenslaun and Nambrackdearg...

Conor: I think we crossed that track on our way in: we left the car at the church at Galways Bridge, walked in over Knockrowar, and headed to Lough Nambrackdearg. There is a distinct track that ends at that lough and seemed to have been used by quads. Is that the track from Cummeenslaun?

There is a pretty good track up to Cummeenslaun from the tarred road, have seen vehicles on it as it leads into a forestry on the western side of Knockbrack. It is part of an old famine relief track that leads past Cummeenslaun and actually leads in to Shaking Rock and then over towards the furthest west of the Dromderalough lakes, though it peters out and becomes difficult to find around the lowest point between Knockrower and Shaking Rock. There are one or two poignant ruins of houses along it, under Knockanaguish - the mountain of loneliness. But there is another newer track from Cummenslaun up to Nambrackdearg that is just a quad track.

If you go to osi viewer and click on the old 6 inch Victorian maps, the old road going to Shaking Rock should be on it. Love that area. Its where I started my walking 3 years ago. You're a long way from the madding crowd around there.

If you're back down any time let me know. You won't need any guide but there are a few quirks, the ruins, the 'spike', the Glas Lough and Foardal Bog on the other side, west of the Old Killarney Road etc et

Definitely want to explore that area a bit more: buddy is doing his ML assessment soon so we'll be back to normal days out, not counting every pace, checking our watches and trying to name every leaf and bird that we see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Eyeball Tickler

Hi,

My girlfriend and I are heading down to Killarney for the long weekend and looking for a two day looped hike to take leaving from and returning to Killarney. Right now I'm thinking we'll follow the Kerry Way on the old road and then on to Black Valley, then walk the Gap of Dunloe back, and maybe try to catch a bus or a cab from Kate Kearney's cottage back to town (we don't have a car).

We were thinking of staying in the hostel in Black Valley but wild camping would be even better if we could find a suitable spot. The thing is I'd like to get a bit further than Mangerton on the first day. Does anyone have any experience camping around the upper lake? From looking at the OS Map there seem to be reasonably secluded areas on the north/west side of the lake (not the N71 side). I should say I'm a moderately experienced hiker and have done a bit of wild camping and will always aim to leave any area I've camped in even tidier than I found it.

I'd also be interested in hearing any other suggestions for two day looped walks out of Killarney, or even for separate day hikes. Keep in mind though we don't have a car so are reliant on walking, renting bikes, buses or (short/cheap) taxi trips. I suppose just spending two full days around Mangerton/the old road would be another option.

I've hiked and cycled a reasonable amount of the area but it's my girlfriend's first time down there, so I'm trying to strike a balance between showing her the best bits and escaping the crowds. She has a bit of an issue with steep heights so I was planning to avoid the reeks. Thanks in advance for any advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement