Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bored in Knocklyon

Options
  • 12-03-2012 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

Seriously what is their to do here I'm just off the ballycullen road and OMG I miss Rathmines....there is nothing to do here, how am I going to survive the summer....dont drive so only buses :(

any suggestions greatly welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well as an example, what would you do in Rathmines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I am a full time mammy and there is lots to do in rathmines with a toddler, like go to belgrave park, stroll into town and feed the ducks, visit the family I have that live there, sit in a coffee shop and watch the world go by, bring toddler to the cinema, go swimming, all without having to drag a buggy on the bus and within 5 mins of your door step....Whats there to do with a toddler in Knocklyon a big fat nothing, nothing is within walking distance nothing.....playgrounds are on bus routes, there are no coffee shops apart from a crap one over at superquinn but its not buggy friendly and you certainly cant watch the world drive by, no cinema within walking distance, no shops to stroll around not even a gymbaree for the toddler NOTHING bored bored bored sick of looking at fields

any suggestions from someone who lives here and knows of activities appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

One would have to ask why you moved out there especially with no access to a car. There is loads of things nearby but you do need a car, plenty of parks, mountains, Dundrum Town centre, square are all a few mins away if you have a car. Tymon, marley, Rathfarnham and bushey parks are close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

edellc wrote: »
    I am a full time mammy and there is lots to do in rathmines with a toddler, like go to belgrave park, stroll into town and feed the ducks, visit the family I have that live there, sit in a coffee shop and watch the world go by, bring toddler to the cinema, go swimming, all without having to drag a buggy on the bus and within 5 mins of your door step....Whats there to do with a toddler in Knocklyon a big fat nothing, nothing is within walking distance nothing.....playgrounds are on bus routes, there are no coffee shops apart from a crap one over at superquinn but its not buggy friendly and you certainly cant watch the world drive by, no cinema within walking distance, no shops to stroll around not even a gymbaree for the toddler NOTHING bored bored bored sick of looking at fields

any suggestions from someone who lives here and knows of activities appreciated

Move back to Rathmines if living in Knocklyon is making you so unhappy.

In reality that's price you pay for moving out of the city. You get bigger properties, smaller densities and more wide open spaces, but you have the disadvantage of not being 30 seconds from everything you need.

The Ballycullen Road itself is actually quite a long walk - 15 minutes or more from bottom to top. So where you live on it can actually make quite a big difference. In most cases though you're a five-minute walk from a nice wide open space, and outside of peak times the bus will take you to Terenure village in 20 minutes and Rathmines in 30 minutes.

Once you get over the idea of having everything on your doorstep, you might get to like being away from the crowded streets in Rathmines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

thegen wrote: »
    Move back to Rathmines if living in Knocklyon is making you so unhappy.

Very helpful. :mad:

I'm guessing that a car may not be financially viable at the moment. You might think about getting a bike with a child seat. You could get something second hand for €100-€200. You'll have the freedom to zip down to the park or the local library or a coffee shop whenever the mood takes you.

I moved out here cause I lost my job through no fault of my own, fell pregnant and could not afford my apartment any more nor could I afford any suitable accommodation to bring a baby up in, in Rathmines. Not that I need to explain myself to anyone on here, I moved to Knocklyon because I wanted to still be on a bus route to my mam as she was very ill but has since passed away and now I find myself in no man's land with nothing to do and nowhere to go.....and wanted to know if there was any social clubs....or any activities that I just seemed to be missing that are here but from the rather unhelpful posts bar a couple I see that I am right there is nothing to do in Knocklyon and it might as well be a rural town in the middle of nowhere and even then you'd still find a playground and have a close community.

Thought boards would be helpful but obviously not

Very helpful. :mad:

I'm guessing that a car may not be financially viable at the moment. You might think about getting a bike with a child seat. You could get something second hand for €100-€200. You'll have the freedom to zip down to the park or the local library or a coffee shop whenever the mood takes you.

I was replying in the same tone as the OP posts. It was not a request for advise on what is available in the area more a moan at what she was missing from Rathmines.

From Knocklyon you can get to as has been suggested Bushy Park (Playground and feed Ducks), St Endas Park (Coffe Shop, musuem and feed Ducks), Marlay Park (Playground, coffe shop and feed ducks). I'm sure there are plenty of parent and toddler groups in the area. Might be an idea to post something in Parenting forum requesting info on them. I am not from Knocklyon, but have lived in Ballyboden/Rathfarnham area for 40+ years and to say there is nothing to do is not correct.

OP, what age is your toddler? Is he/she near school going age? School is a great way of meeting other parents. Join a local sports club will also get you in contact with parents of other kids. If to young for activities like them a parent and toddler group is the way to beat the boredom.

to say there is nothing to do is not correct.
    I agree with this, but to be fair you have to be willing to walk a lot more (Bushy or St Enda's will take a minimum of 45 minutes to walk with a buggy) or spend more time on a bus. If you're coming from Rathmines where everything you need takes 10 minutes or less to get to, that's going to require a period of adjustment.

I remember when I moved from Knocklyon to Lucan in the early 00's I couldn't believe that there wasn't even a petrol station within a ten minute walk from the house. I was even bummed out that I had to walk ten minutes to get to a bus stop, when I'd been used to having one one my doorstep :D
    It's all about getting used to where you are. Taking buggies on a bus is not that much hassle once you've gotten good at it.
    OP, what age is your toddler? Is he/she near school going age? School is a great way of meeting other parents. Join a local sports club will also get you in contact with parents of other kids. If to young for activities like them a parent and toddler group is the way to beat the boredom.
    Indeed, it's a young area, tonnes of families, there is plenty to do and plenty of people to meet if you can get involved in the local scene.

Thanks for the reply, I'm really not just having a bitch about Knocklyon...I am from Rathfarnham and due to circumstances moved here but where I moved to I had to be on a bus route to my mam due to her terminal illness. I know there is plenty to do in Rathfarnham, Marley, St Enda, Meadowmount, Nutgrove, even Dundrum down the road.....I just never really thought that Knocklyon didnt even have a playground for the kids, yes there are plenty of fields with football posts but no one playing football and the view of the mountains lovely

My child is no where near school going age and I have looked into clubs in the area but their arent any there isnt even anywhere to have a club other than say Ballyboden gaa club on the firhouse road who hold bingo every monday night :rolleyes: im not that old yet

am going over to the iona centre tomorrow to see whats there as this seems to be the local meeting point

think i just feel isolated as i am so far away from my family now and everything i knew as i have lived in rathmines for the last 12years and having a baby, loosing my mam and moving to somewhere I didnt know too well due to my financial situation where just big things to happen within a year so i know a period of adjustment is needed.....

• Advertisement

I heard a rumour that a Starbucks had opened up in the Firhouse community centre. Someone suggested bike with babyseat would be good for you.
    Tymon Park is a great park for young kids- I am from Rathfarnham and never even knew about it. It is right beside the Spawell and St Judes - they have a duck pond as you walk in and kids playground just past that, there is also a forest playground a little bit further in. Also go on www.neighbours.ie to see where you are living is on there and people there might be able to give you other suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,720 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The 65b will take you from Ballycullen to close to the Spawell for Tymon Park.

The 75 can take you across to Rathfarnham for the Village there and the Castle where there's a nice coffee shop, or close to Marlay Park as well which I'm sure you know about.

You may just need to accept that you will need to take a short bus journey to avail of these. Remember that you can use a Travel 90 10 Journey ticket which costs €21.50 and allows you 90 minutes unlimited travel - so you could take (for example) a 49 or 65b to Firhouse Road and then a 75 to Ballinteer for Marlay Park and the whole trip will only cost you €2.15 each way.

Went over to Tymon Park yesterday and it is lovely bit of walk to get there but in the nice weather don't mind walking so it was great, little fella loved it so happy days......I know I can get the bus over to Marley and Rathfarnham Castle but just wanted to know what was in the immediate area...

Now to find out where the firhouse community centre is....I know there is a coffee shop up in the victory centre but I dont feel comfortable with going into that centre as the kinda push their beliefs on you so dont like that.....so firhouse community centre it is fingers crossed a starbucks has opened oh how i have missed coffee in a paper cup with a plastic lid seriously I have...its the little things in life :D

And think their is a mother and baby thing in the iona centre on a wednesday so will go over next week and see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Things are further away in the suburbs shocker!

Just googled it and seems to be in that Victory centre never been in it so don't know what it is like

http://vcc.ie/r_starbucks

Firhouse community centre is up ballycullen road towards M50 turn right where the 49 comes from and on the left about 500m in. They do lots of stuff there I see they have a Toddler and Mum group etc .
    http://connect.southdublin.ie/fclc/

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Now to find out where the firhouse community centre is....I know there is a coffee shop up in the victory centre but I dont feel comfortable with going into that centre as the kinda push their beliefs on you so dont like that.....so firhouse community centre it is fingers crossed a starbucks has opened oh how i have missed coffee in a paper cup with a plastic lid seriously I have...its the little things in life :D

Firhouse community centre is here:
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.27745&lon=-6.34033&zoom=17&layers=M

There's a pub upstairs but I've never been in it. They are running 'Angela Ballerina' ballet classes in Firhouse CC starting at 3 years.

The Starbucks is in the Victory centre. I've been there a few times and never had any 'pushing'. Perhaps avoid on a Sunday as it is quite busy then.

Another useful spot is the Nature Room in St Enda's. You just drop in and look at the stuffed animals and toys and do colouring. Worth keeping an eye on their website as they regularly run events for small kids.

Thanks for the reply, I'm really not just having a bitch about Knocklyon...I am from Rathfarnham and due to circumstances moved here but where I moved to I had to be on a bus route to my mam due to her terminal illness. I know there is plenty to do in Rathfarnham, Marley, St Enda, Meadowmount, Nutgrove, even Dundrum down the road.....I just never really thought that Knocklyon didnt even have a playground for the kids, yes there are plenty of fields with football posts but no one playing football and the view of the mountains lovely

My child is no where near school going age and I have looked into clubs in the area but their arent any there isnt even anywhere to have a club other than say Ballyboden gaa club on the firhouse road who hold bingo every monday night :rolleyes: im not that old yet

am going over to the iona centre tomorrow to see whats there as this seems to be the local meeting point

think i just feel isolated as i am so far away from my family now and everything i knew as i have lived in rathmines for the last 12years and having a baby, loosing my mam and moving to somewhere I didnt know too well due to my financial situation where just big things to happen within a year so i know a period of adjustment is needed.....

Don't be knocking Boden, we'll have your young lad down there when he's older!!!!

I am not a bingo fan BTW!!!

Don't be knocking Boden, we'll have your young lad down there when he's older!!!!

I am not a bingo fan BTW!!!

Nah if she has any sense she will bring up to Road to Marys RFC to play mini rugby :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Things are further away in the suburbs shocker!

Notatall ;)

The mountains, the fields, the M50, retail parks, Dundrum Shopping Centre, Tallaght and civilization are all so much closer!

What was it Joyce said? - "if you're tired of Knocklyon, you're tired of life" :D

wouldnt say im tired of Knocklyon just find it boring, dont have a car so most of what you point out is irrelevant to me.....just glad the buses are regular enough so I can get the hell out of here daily

oh and what is peoples fascination with fields, there are lots of them here, you would think that the council would put a playground in one of them considering the amount of families but I suppose that would be common sense which our CC and govt have never had :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

wouldnt say im tired of Knocklyon just find it boring, dont have a car so most of what you point out is irrelevant to me.....just glad the buses are regular enough so I can get the hell out of here daily

oh and what is peoples fascination with fields, there are lots of them here, you would think that the council would put a playground in one of them considering the amount of families but I suppose that would be common sense which our CC and govt have never had :rolleyes:

It is your attitude that puts me off. Life is what you make it, you are lucky to be living in a nice area, a lot of people live in places that don't have a lot of things on their doorstep. You should be grateful that you have a roof over your head and the ability to get to places you want to go to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

oh and what is peoples fascination with fields

Ask not for whom the bell trolls......:rolleyes:

Oh Vahevala chill-out of course I know that I am very lucky to live in a nice area, believe me it took a lot of looking and fingers crossed and being super nice to the landlady to get it and I am so grateful that we are here especially with a little boy, I am well aware of what could happen through no fault of my own if we lived further down the road in one direction or the other. I am also so grateful to dublin bus for re-routing the 65b near to where i live so it brings me down to my family in rathmines and to the 75 which brings me back to rathfarnham....I am also well aware that life is what you make of it all I asked is what amenities there are in Knocklyon and it is plainly clear there are none, there are plenty in the surrounding areas I am well aware of that and of the amenities they offer.

I just wanted to know if I was missing something in Knocklyon if there was a community network here like in Firhouse, Rathfarnham, Templeogue and so and but no Knocklyon doesnt have that which is fine, if I need to travel I will I dont have a problem doing that

But I am right in saying there is no activites for kids or adults alike in Knocklyon its just a place with housing, and bus routes and road out of here oh and lots and lots of fields :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

There's a parent toddler group in the Firhouse Community Centre every Wednesday and Friday mornings. Thinks it's from 10:30am but might be 10am. My wife goes with our kids and they love it.

The park down by Scholars pub has loads of ducks to feed.
    There's 2 great playgrounds in Marley Park which the 75 goes past.

It's a bit silly trying to compare Rathmines and Knocklyon.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

Oh Vahevala chill-out of course I know that I am very lucky to live in a nice area, believe me it took a lot of looking and fingers crossed and being super nice to the landlady to get it and I am so grateful that we are here especially with a little boy, I am well aware of what could happen through no fault of my own if we lived further down the road in one direction or the other. I am also so grateful to dublin bus for re-routing the 65b near to where i live so it brings me down to my family in rathmines and to the 75 which brings me back to rathfarnham....I am also well aware that life is what you make of it all I asked is what amenities there are in Knocklyon and it is plainly clear there are none, there are plenty in the surrounding areas I am well aware of that and of the amenities they offer.

I just wanted to know if I was missing something in Knocklyon if there was a community network here like in Firhouse, Rathfarnham, Templeogue and so and but no Knocklyon doesnt have that which is fine, if I need to travel I will I dont have a problem doing that

But I am right in saying there is no activites for kids or adults alike in Knocklyon its just a place with housing, and bus routes and road out of here oh and lots and lots of fields :)

I am getting really fed up reading your whinging about living in Knocklyon, if you bothered to make an effort you would see that there is LOADS to do in knocklyon for adults and teenagers. Have you gone down to Knocklyon community hall where there is some type of club going on every day. There is also a great community network in Knocklyon...
    Count your blessings when I moved to Knocklyon there was only three buses a day and none at the weekends. So instead of coming on here with attitude, get your child and start looking at what is available in Knocklyon !!

I would not and have not compared Rathmines to Knocklyon as that would be silly there is absolutely no comparison, I was asked what would I be doing if I where in Rathmines and I merely pointed out the amenities.

As for attitude I never intended there to be any.....as I said my mam was terminally ill and I lost my job and had to move from Rathmines I wanted to be close to my mother or on a bus route to her. At the time being there and helping make her last few months comfortable where the most important thing for me, while making sure I didnt move somewhere rough where I would feel unsafe especially with a young child. My Landlady was super nice she even helped me move to her rental house and Knocklyon is a lovely place to live in ,it just has no amenities, no playground specifically.

As I have pointed out I am from the suburbs...Rathfarnham....and know of all the things to do over there and in the surrounding area, I have also been aware of Knocklyon and knew it was a nice area to live in I however did not know of the amenities and came onto boards to find out if there was any in Knocklyon. I just presumed that an area that has been in existence as long as Knocklyon has would have things to do for young families considering there seems to be a lot of them.

As many of you have confirmed Knocklyon has no amenities, Firhouse does, Tempelogue, Rathfarnham and Tallaght do but Knocklyon does not which is fair enough as my question was what is there to do in Knocklyon NOT the surrounding areas. For the record this paragraph is not meant to have attitude (for all you hyper sensitive ones out there ;)) I am just trying to make it crystal clear that I wanted to know what there was in Knocklyon and NOT the surrounding areas.....

I thank most of your for your helpful replies and will be checking out the mother and toddler group recommended, we will also be paying a visit to starbucks (but not on a sunday :D what with the god squad), and I have looked into enrolling my fella into local schools which is a good few years away yet. I have paid more that one visit at this stage to Tymon Park which is lovely and was suprised at the amount of GAA clubs and football clubs around (In Templeogue/Greenhills)

And remember try not mistake sarcasm for attitude, twas all meant in a light hearted fashion but clearly no humour on here....peace and love peeps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

I think you are right - Knocklyon doesn't have much within foot distance except parish centre stuff - I think you will have to use the bus to go to places.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

stoneill wrote: »
    I think you are right - Knocklyon doesn't have much within foot distance except parish centre stuff - I think you will have to use the bus to go to places.

You need to go to the community hall, beside the parish centre, there is always something going on and plenty of leaflets giving out info.

If you live just off the Ballycullen road then one side is Knocklyon the left hand side coming from Mortons and the right hand side is Firhouse so which side are you on ;) At the top of the Ballycullen road you also have the 15 bus which goes every 10 mins which will bring you to Bushey park and 15b which goes past Rathfarnham castle and park.

• Advertisement

I'm on the knocklyon side ;) Yeah the 15 is a good service so is the 65b, 49 and 75 the 15b goes nowhere near me

Advertisement