Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Give an account of...

• 12-03-2012 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

"Three functions of the lymphatic system."

I'm using this question as an example but what exactly are examiners looking for in 'give an account of...' type questions? :) On the marking scheme it says that if 6 functions are written, full marks are awarded i.e 6x3=18marks. Is that all you have to do though, jot down the functions and that's it? thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

"Three functions of the lymphatic system."

I'm using this question as an example but what exactly are examiners looking for in 'give an account of...' type questions? :) On the marking scheme it says that if 6 functions are written, full marks are awarded i.e 6x3=18marks. Is that all you have to do though, jot down the functions and that's it? thanks :D

I have done countless exam questions and I have learned a lot with regards to exam terminology. "Give an account" ALWAYS means 2 pieces of information, whereas "Outline" would usually be 3 pieces. You'll notice that for that particular question you need two pieces of information under each function. Therefore, 2 pieces of info, 3 functions = 6 points in total @ 3 marks = 18. (Sorry for going all equation :pac:) Hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Boeing777 wrote: »
    I have done countless exam questions and I have learned a lot with regards to exam terminology. "Give an account" ALWAYS means 2 pieces of information, whereas "Outline" would usually be 3 pieces. You'll notice that for that particular question you need two pieces of information under each function. Therefore, 2 pieces of info, 3 functions = 6 points in total @ 3 marks = 18. (Sorry for going all equation :pac:) Hope that helps

I getcha, so usually they're looking for a mix of general info and technical functions :) thanks man :D

Advertisement