Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get involved in Trad Sessions

Options
  • 12-03-2012 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi all,

I've been playing fiddle a little over a year now after playing guitar for many a moon. I picked up the fiddle relatively quickly and am wondering how I would go about joining in a session. I've often been as a listener but I wouldn't be brazen enough to bring my fiddle along (do I know enough, am I good enough etc)

How did everyone else start playing in sessions? are there beginner ones?

Hoping somebody could help me out/point me in the right direction.

Cheers,
    Ro
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Where are you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 KA_Fel

/facepalm

I guess that would have been a start

I'm based in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 allabouttrad

I started by joining my nearest comhaltas group. Most branches run either a slow session (for beginners) or just a regular session that anyone can join in. All you need is an instrument and the confidence to introduce yourself to someone in the room. I would recommend trying the culturlann in Monsktown, or Aras Chronain in Clondalkin. It's all very friendly...... good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Slow set tonight at Comhaltas in Monkstown. Kick of at 9pm. All welcome, no fee, no membership, just turn up an play.

Set list for tonite

1 Lark in Morning Jig

2 Jim Wards Set Jigs

3 Concertina Reel Set Reels

4 Queen of Fair Set Jigs

5 Miss Mc Leods Set Reels

6 O Callaghans Set Hornpipes

7 Mairbhe Luimni / Phis Fliuch

8 Sailor on Rocks Set Reels

9 Dusty Windowsills Set Jigs

10 Star above Garter Set Slides

11 Terry teehans Set Polkas

12 Cooleys Set Reels

All sets are taken from the Foinn Seisiún music books, some one will lend you the note.

Off tonite so I should make it myself. I'm the left handed box player. say hello.

I hear Aras Cronan is good also.
    Check out this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056527347

That sounds like it could be great craic, unfortunately I was both busy tonight and I'm on the other side of the city :-/

I will check the other suggestions though, thanks guys. Keep the ideas/recommendations coming :D

• Advertisement

There's also a slow set in Clontarf in Classac
    http://www.clasac.ie/

Slow set starts at 8pm.

Trad you must have been keeping an eye on what I was up to tonight. I came across clasac when someone had suggested checking the local comhaltas group. And I headed down there this evening. I knew very few of the tunes but I was welcomed in all the same :)

Thanks again guys for pointing me in the right direction

Well, if you weren't Southside and you weren't Westside then it had to be the Northside.

Glad you enjoyed it and hope you came home with a tune list for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Roguery

Which night(s) is the slow session in the Classac? Are there many there - friend of mine went there last year and he was the only one who turned up.

Advertisement