Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dominick St.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

new shop on dominick street upper - (at the corner across from Wildes). Grocery and hot food deli.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Cannot understand how the two derelict shops beside the Roisin are not boarded up and some paint applied to them, it must look terrible to the tourists who visit there, very run down looking that part of the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

it's part of the "seedyness" vibe that you would get going up along that street. It adds to the vibe of the area, and keeps the "shiny people" away - thus leaving it for the people that appreciates good music, food, atmosphere and craic without the "we all look the same" conversations and nonsense that goes on up town.

If they turn it into a brand new "shiny" area, it will go downhill fast. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

it's part of the "seedyness" vibe that you would get going up along that street. It adds to the vibe of the area, and keeps the "shiny people" away - thus leaving it for the people that appreciates good music, food, atmosphere and craic without the "we all look the same" conversations and nonsense that goes on up town.

If they turn it into a brand new "shiny" area, it will go downhill fast. :D

Hmm, I dunno. It's a pain in the h*le at night to drive/walk/cycle past the stretch the Róisin is (mainly of the narrowness of the road not just the seediness!), whereas the walking up past Bierhaus, Blue Note etc has a great craic vibe without the same feel. I am with you on the anti-shiny sentiment to a certain extent, but the area that has had a bit more tlc, say up by Crane/Old Forge has a better feel *ourdoors* imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Cannot understand how the two derelict shops beside the Roisin are not boarded up and some paint applied to them, it must look terrible to the tourists who visit there, very run down looking that part of the West.
    Someone is taking your advice..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I saw that alright! About time :)

The Drapery shop last night.. the blinding light is Linda Martin's dress :D (no, not really)
    BL1wVuxCUAEFA1L-1.jpg

Just discovered who owns the Ideal Drapery shop
    Mr Davoren also owns numbers 9, 10 and 11 Dominick Street Upper – the ‘Ideal Drapery’ and adjoining premises beside Róisín Dubh
    http://connachttribune.ie/galway-news/item/770-council-in-crackdown-on-derelict-buildings

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

inisboffin wrote: »
    See my post above. Rouge owns it.
    They lease it.

I see in the Advertiser that 51 Dominick Street is for auction on July 26th with an AMV of €475,000. This being the former home of Cava, now home of Dela.

To shed further light on the Cava situation, the ad says that the sitting tenant has a 25 year lease dating back to 2007, currently renting at €60k PA.

Meanwhile, where Aniar is located is renting at €18,200 on a 10 year lease dating from 2011.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Robbo wrote: »
    They lease it.

I see in the Advertiser that 51 Dominick Street is for auction on July 26th with an AMV of €475,000. This being the former home of Cava, now home of Dela.

To shed further light on the Cava situation, the ad says that the sitting tenant has a 25 year lease dating back to 2007, currently renting at €60k PA.

Yeah I meant own the business there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

They lease it.

Meanwhile, where Aniar is located is renting at €18,200 on a 10 year lease dating from 2011.

So Aniar are paying just €350 per week?!

Easy enough to make a profit at that rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

snubbleste wrote: »
    The Drapery shop last night.. the blinding light is Linda Martin's dress :D (no, not really)

The term unwashed masses springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

So Mr Davoren owns 9,10 and 11 Dominick Street upper. Are any of those in good repair ?

You'd wonder why they aren't sold, it's a pretty good location.

So Mr Davoren owns 9,10 and 11 Dominick Street upper. Are any of those in good repair ?
    You'd wonder why they aren't sold, it's a pretty good location.
    Dunno, they are good example why the Council need to introduce rates on empty commercial premises. He would be forced to either lease them or sell them, which would inject new life into the area.

Has anyone noticed the amount of discarded chewing-gum on the road surface?
    It's unreal, it appears to be done deliberately over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Has anyone noticed the amount of discarded chewing-gum on the road surface?
    It's unreal, it appears to be done deliberately over time.

that's been there forever, it further cheapens look of the place on top of the abandoned buildings, sex shops, cheap unmaintained shop fronts, greasy footpaths.... an architectural gem is Dominick St.!

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

This is just off Dominick St.
    ZjNmNWI5YjRiNDgyODIyN2RkMzNhMzk0MGJjYThlZDilSau01-B7qo7Yjst9-RxwaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmRhZnQuaWUvcHJvcGVydHktaW1hZ2UvSWY1N2cyVXMxVUJQbWFQMmxxdk5lLTdsclcyVlJBcmRBTTlpNW12NFVUaHNQVGd3TUE9PS5qcGd8fDQ1N3x8fHx8aHR0cDovL3d3dy5kYWZ0LmllL2kvd2F0ZXJtYXJrLnBuZz92PTF8fHw=.jpg
    This used to have sweets and stuff in the window but I never went in to see what exactly they sold and what the set-up was. Anyone know what they sold, for how long and when did they sell up?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

This is just off Dominick St.
    ZjNmNWI5YjRiNDgyODIyN2RkMzNhMzk0MGJjYThlZDilSau01-B7qo7Yjst9-RxwaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmRhZnQuaWUvcHJvcGVydHktaW1hZ2UvSWY1N2cyVXMxVUJQbWFQMmxxdk5lLTdsclcyVlJBcmRBTTlpNW12NFVUaHNQVGd3TUE9PS5qcGd8fDQ1N3x8fHx8aHR0cDovL3d3dy5kYWZ0LmllL2kvd2F0ZXJtYXJrLnBuZz92PTF8fHw=.jpg
    This used to have sweets and stuff in the window but I never went in to see what exactly they sold and what the set-up was. Anyone know what they sold, for how long and when did they sell up?

Used to belong to the Lydon family

It's up for rent on Daft atm... no interior pics :(

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭aaronosiochain

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Used to belong to the Lydon family

It's up for rent on Daft atm... no interior pics :(

Its nice inside! Garden at the back also. A rabbit used to live there

• Advertisement

On the market again.
    No. 51 (Dela) now seeking €600k
    No. 53 (Aniar) €350k
    Rents remain the same.

Dunno how Dela turn a profit with rent of €1150pw rent to pay

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement