Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parking a 18 foot ft boat housing estate

• 12-03-2012 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Are there rules governing parking a boat in a housing estate for the Summer.
    The road in this theoretical example has no yellow lines and two cars will fit either side - each house has a driveway but sometimes a car will park outside their house on the road limiting one car access at at time to pass each other at the same time.

If i parked my boat on the other side of the road away from a house and the householder parked outside there house too, nobody could get passed.

The trailor and boat are 24 foot

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

IS there a line down the centre of the road and what is it?

The trailer should be parked in the direction of travel and in the UK the trailer has to be lit at night. Hard to find the rules.

The only way out is that it is causing a public nuisance or obstruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

- No line down the middle of the road
    - There is a trailor board on the back of the boat trailor

If u have a private driveway who has the ownership rights to park outside your house on the road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Check your estate conveyance or transfer - some of these have clauses re bringing items onto the estate

afaik there usually are no ownership rights outside the curtilege of your property

So if one parked on the opposite side of the road outside someone's house in a housing estate, and the house owner complained to the boat owner, he could request to see their conveyance deed which proves ownership of the road directly outside their house? If so then if he parked opposite their house he would then be causing an obstruction! So it seems that the crux of the matter for nuisance and or obstruction to the traffic in and out of the private estate is whether:
    (1) The dwelling house owns the road or parking space directly outside their house in the title deed?
    (2) If there is a covenant in the title deed?
    (3) If the estate forbids boats in it - title deed?
    (4) If they changed the rule now i bought a boat?

I wouldnt dream of parking the boat on the road directly outside someones house whether they own it or not - thats just cheeky - its just what about the other side of the road on a 2 vehicle passable private estate road its prob just gonna have to go somewhere where a car can park outside their house whether they own it or not and it doesnt obstruct other cars or cause a nuisance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

If there is pay and display parking, it does not apply to a boat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In the summer, why isn't the boat in the water? If it can't be in the water, surely there are plenty of boat yards that are empty for the summer to keep it in?
    If there is pay and display parking, it does not apply to a boat!
    It just might apply to the trailer.

It is quite conceivable that the boat would be considered a hazard. The public might also be a hazard to the boat.

Depending on where you live, it may be an offence to park a vehicle (includes trailers) over 3 tonnes on a public road. That it is a private estate would not save it.

While someone may own the land under the road, residents generally don't own the road in front of their property. They can't prevent someone from parking outside their garden wall.

It is an offence to obstruct a road or an entrance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,716 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Ned_led16 wrote: »
    If u have a private driveway who has the ownership rights to park outside your house on the road?
    In general anyone can park on the public highway, provided they are not infringing a parking regulation (no-parking signs, yellow lines, parking in a metered area without paying) and providing they are not causing a nuisance or an obstruction. or infringins a specific local by-law. The owner of the adjacent land has no prior or superior right to park on the road passing his land. It makes no difference whether he has a driveway or not. It’s good manners, not law, that prevents you parking constantly outside your neighbour’s house.

But note that a boat is a different creature than a car. Cars travel along the highway, and parking them from time to time is an aspect of their ordinary, routine use. But boats are not ordinarily used on the highway at all, and if you leave your boat on the side of the road you’re not so much parking it as storing it. There is no general right to store your goods in the public highway, even if you have put them on a trailer. Plus, leaving anything in one place on the side of the road for weeks or months on end goes beyond parking as an incident of using the road for travel, and becomes storing on the highway because you’re too cheap to provide a place to store your own stuff. At a pinch it could even be seen as abandoning your goods on the highway, and you wouldn’t want anybody to take that view, would you?

The bottom line is that, if your neighbours don’t mind you leaving your boat on the side of the road for the summer, and road users don’t find it to be a nuisance or an obstruction, you’ll get away with this. But if anybody challenges you I think you’re on weak ground; it really is your responsibility to find a place to store your boat.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    In general anyone can park on the public highway, provided they are not infringing a parking regulation (no-parking signs, yellow lines, parking in a metered area without paying) and providing they are not causing a nuisance or an obstruction. or infringins a specific local by-law. The owner of the adjacent land has no prior or superior right to park on the road passing his land. It makes no difference whether he has a driveway or not. It’s good manners, not law, that prevents you parking constantly outside your neighbour’s house.

But note that a boat is a different creature than a car. Cars travel along the highway, and parking them from time to time is an aspect of their ordinary, routine use. But boats are not ordinarily used on the highway at all, and if you leave your boat on the side of the road you’re not so much parking it as storing it. There is no general right to store your goods in the public highway, even if you have put them on a trailer. Plus, leaving anything in one place on the side of the road for weeks or months on end goes beyond parking as an incident of using the road for travel, and becomes storing on the highway because you’re too cheap to provide a place to store your own stuff. At a pinch it could even be seen as abandoning your goods on the highway, and you wouldn’t want anybody to take that view, would you?

The bottom line is that, if your neighbours don’t mind you leaving your boat on the side of the road for the summer, and road users don’t find it to be a nuisance or an obstruction, you’ll get away with this. But if anybody challenges you I think you’re on weak ground; it really is your responsibility to find a place to store your boat.

I suppose if one neighbor complains i could just move it in the estate until they dont complain! but i really wanted to know the legal position around this myth about owning the car parking space outside your house on a public or private road - especially on the opposite side of the road adjacent or parallel to the house when if one parks there and the householder also parks on the road directly outside their house - what is the position - who is obstructing who?

I suppose a Judge would find in favor of the householder even if they didnt own the parking space

Ill be insured on a mooring from the 31st March! and i dont want my new boat in a boat yard i want it next to my house where i can see it and faf about with it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

but i really wanted to know the legal position around this myth about owning the car parking space outside your house on a public or private road - especially on the opposite side of the road adjacent or parallel to the house

It is just that; a myth. There is an offence of obstructing an entrance. that can be done on the same side or the opposite side of the road. A person exiting their driveway needs to be able to do so safely. they need visibility and turning space. Obstruct these and an offence is committed. A boat on the public road is effectively litter and can be dealt with as such. Annoying the neighbours is a surefire way of attracting unwanted attention from the litter wardens.

You have to be jokeing a litter warden could give me a ticket for having a speed boat parked in a housing estate - it doesnt block anyone or anything unless someone parks opposite the boat - and technically they are then obstructing?

What a pain in the a** i could pay to store in the boat yard but i dont want to - i have stoorage for the winter which is fine - but also dont want to annoy neighbors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭jargon buster

Park it in a boat yard like a good neighbour would.
    If you parked it outside a neighbours house who took offence you might find out it had sprung a few leaks when you got it back on the water.

Park it in a boat yard like a good neighbour would.
    If you parked it outside a neighbours house who took offence you might find out it had sprung a few leaks when you got it back on the water.

I think your right! in fairness - the law is irrelevant here its about doing whats right morally and keeping your neigbours sweet!

Its a pitty cause its 2 foot too long to fit in my parking space but your right! No point rocking the boat and in fairness theres an implied right to park outside your house that goes far beyond any legal rules! Its about doing the decent right thing!

Ballix gonna cost me more money!!

Really dont want to upset the neighbours after all i have to live here!
    You win i lose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

Bloody useless Council. This flooding is getting out of hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

The two things that come to mind are the offences of dangerous parking and endangering traffic. Possibly obstruction too. You should also check the local bylaws as they often have rules in relation to parking large vehicles.

You have to be jokeing a litter warden could give me a ticket for having a speed boat parked in a housing estate - it doesnt block anyone or anything unless someone parks opposite the boat - and technically they are then obstructing?

What a pain in the a** i could pay to store in the boat yard but i dont want to - i have stoorage for the winter which is fine - but also dont want to annoy neighbors.

I suppose one way to look at it is that just because it's on a trailer and can be towed does not make it any different to any other object.

Plonking your trailer on a boat on the side is probably no different to plonking a sea container on the side of the road or building a pyramid of TV sets.

The other thing to note if it is left there for a period of time your neighbours could ring it in as a abandoned and get the waste department to remove it.

There's also no implied right to park outside your house. It's a public street and anybody can park on it within the law. Why not stick your boat on a section of the street that has no houses or entrances.

Its a pitty cause its 2 foot too long to fit in my parking space but your right! No point rocking the boat and in fairness theres an implied right to park outside your house that goes far beyond any legal rules! Its about doing the decent right thing!
    In most neighbourhoods there is an understanding that you should be given a certain amount of leeway about parking outside your own home, and that your neighbours should try not to take that space. (Your space is fair game for visitor parking, though!)

But I’m not sure that your neighbours would agree that this extends to leaving a boat and trailer there for weeks or months. A boat and trailer has a much bigger profile than a car and is more likely to be regarded as a nuisance or an eyesore, and obviously you’re not leaving it there for the convenience of not getting wet when you want to drive to the shops. Plus, if you leave it there day and night then the space is never available for use by visitors to your neighbours. All in all, I think they’d take exception.
    Ballix gonna cost me more money!!
    That’s boats for ya!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

A car which has no number plate on it is considered litter. When the number plate comes off the council will take it away. there are planning regulations about storing boats in front of houses.

CLASS 8

The keeping or storing of a caravan, campervan or boat within the curtilage of a house.
    1. Not more than one caravan, campervan or boat shall be so kept or stored.
    2. The caravan, campervan or boat shall not be used for the storage, display, advertisement or sale of goods or for the purposes of any business.
    3. No caravan, campervan or boat shall be so kept or stored for more than 9 months in any year or occupied as a dwelling while so kept or stored.

Kosseegan wrote: »
    A car which has no number plate on it is considered litter. When the number plate comes off the council will take it away. there are planning regulations about storing boats in front of houses.

CLASS 8

The keeping or storing of a caravan, campervan or boat within the curtilage of a house.
    1. Not more than one caravan, campervan or boat shall be so kept or stored.
    2. The caravan, campervan or boat shall not be used for the storage, display, advertisement or sale of goods or for the purposes of any business.
    3. No caravan, campervan or boat shall be so kept or stored for more than 9 months in any year or occupied as a dwelling while so kept or stored.

Where did you find the above?

Also the public street wouldn't be considered the "within the curtilage of a house".

Even a car with a number plate can be considered abandoned and you can ask for it to be removed. Anyway this is a trailer, the number plate is only needs to be displayed if it's being towed.

BrianD wrote: »
    Where did you find the above?

Also the public street wouldn't be considered the "within the curtilage of a house".

Even a car with a number plate can be considered abandoned and you can ask for it to be removed. Anyway this is a trailer, the number plate is only needs to be displayed if it's being towed.

Councils won't take away a car which has a number plate on it. It is deemed to be parked. Once the number plate goes off it is deemed litter.
    Given that planning permission is needed to store a boat within the curtilage of a house for longer than 9 months, nobody is going to be allowed use the public road as a store.

Other factors aside, I don't see much of a difference between storing a car and storing a trailer on a road.
    A boat on the public road is effectively litter and can be dealt with as such. Annoying the neighbours is a surefire way of attracting unwanted attention from the litter wardens.
    No, to be litter, there has to be an intention to abandon.
    I suppose if one neighbor complains i could just move it in the estate until they dont complain! but i really wanted to know the legal position around this myth about owning the car parking space outside your house on a public or private road - especially on the opposite side of the road adjacent or parallel to the house when if one parks there and the householder also parks on the road directly outside their house - what is the position - who is obstructing who?
    If a road is wide enough for two vehicles and two vehicles are parked near each other, one on either side, the the second vehicle so parked is causing the obstruction.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    No, to be litter, there has to be an intention to abandon.

LITTER POLLUTION ACT, 1997

"litter" means a substance or object, whether or not intended as waste (other than waste within the meaning of the Waste Management Act, 1996 , which is properly consigned for disposal) that, when deposited in a place other than a litter receptacle or other place lawfully designated for the deposit, is or is likely to become unsightly, deleterious, nauseous or unsanitary, whether by itself or with any other such substance or object, and regardless of its size or volume or the extent of the deposit;

Kosseegan wrote: »
    is or is likely to become unsightly, deleterious, nauseous or unsanitary
    A boat is no worse than a car.

A boat is no worse than a car.

A car without a number plate is litter. Cars are not 18 feet in length.

Other factors aside, I don't see much of a difference between storing a car and storing a trailer on a road.
    “Other factors aside, I don't see much of a difference between storing a car and storing a haystack on a road.”

You need some basis for dismissing the “other factors”. At common law, your right on the public highway is basically a right to travel, with or without a vehicle of some kind. It’s a natural incident of travelling in your car that, when you get to where you’re going, you’ll want to get out of your car and leave it for a time while you attend to your business. Hence parking a car is a normal incident of using it.

But the analogy for a boat is mooring it, and that doesn’t happen on the public highway. The reason you would want to leave your boat on the highway is not as an ordinary incident of using it as a boat, but the reverse - it’s because you’re not using it as a boat; you’ve taken it out of the water. And now you want somewhere to store it while you don’t use it.

The fact that boats don’t belong on roads, and cars do, is an “other factor” which can’t be simply pushed “aside” for no reason.

The same goes, I think, for trailers. You use a trailer for carrying stuff from A to B. Parking it on the side of the road while you load and unload, or because you are breaking your journey from A to B for some purpose, is an incident of using it. Leaving it on the side of the road for six months because it’s got your boat on it and that’s where you’ve decided to store your boat, is not. Quite simply, you’re not using it for carriage if you’re not carrying things on it.

We are not talking about a public highway!
    this example is a private housin g estate which the council wont work on because they say its not within there scope. Its the building developers scope who is now deceased - so i dont think any law applies - i think you can drunk drive with no tax insurance or nct as its private?

this example is a private housin g estate which the council wont work on because they say its not within there scope. Its the building developers scope who is now deceased - so i dont think any law applies - i think you can drunk drive with no tax insurance or nct as its private?

If it is private, there will be conditions in the conveyance regarding the use to which common areas can be put. If not, the developer will have the right to regulate the use of the common areas of the estate.

The ownership of the land is irrelevant; privately-owned land can be a public highway, and in fact lots of highways run on privately-owned land.

If your estate is open so that anyone who cares to can walk or drive in, then it's a "public place" so far as the Road Traffic Acts are concerned, so all the rules regarding drunk driving, insurance, obeying the rules of the road, etc, apply in full.

The road are (probably but not definitely) also public highways, in that the public have a right to use them as highways, and can't be prevented from doing so by the owner of the land. You won't get a definite ruling on this unless someone tries to stop members of the public from using the estate roadways, and the dispute goes to court. But the likelihood is that the roads are highways, and it would be prudent to proceed on that basis.

If the roads are not highways, then whether you can park your boat there (or, for that matter, your car) will be regulated by the terms of your agreement with the landowner of the roadways, which is one of the bundle of documents than can when you bought the house.

(The fact that the council won't maintain the road means that they haven't been "taken in charge" of the council. But that doesn't mean that they aren;'t public highways. The issue is not whether the council are obliged to maintain them, but whether the public are entitled to use them.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

this example is a private housin g estate which the council wont work on because they say its not within there scope. Its the building developers scope who is now deceased -

If it's a private estate you need to read the house rules to see what can be parked where. I doubt the house rules allow boats to be parked at all as most ban commercial vehicle parking.
    so i dont think any law applies - i think you can drunk drive with no tax insurance or nct as its private?

The only thing which doesn't apply in private estates is abandoned vehicles, all the other road traffic laws apply as it's considered a public place. The only way you can drink drive legally is on a private road with no public access and there are very few of them around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I had my boat parked up for 2 months while I was prepping it for the water. But I parked it inside my driveway! I wouldn't have dared park it on the street. Put it in your driveway, if it doesn't fit - then you'll have to put it in a boatshed. You can't start blocking up an entire street.

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »
    I had my boat parked up for 2 months while I was prepping it for the water. But I parked it inside my driveway! I wouldn't have dared park it on the street. Put it in your driveway, if it doesn't fit - then you'll have to put it in a boatshed. You can't start blocking up an entire street.

Your missing the point dlofnep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Your missing the point dlofnep!

I don't believe I am. If 2 regular sized cars on opposite sides of the street don't block the street, but your boat and another car does - then it's your boat that's obstructing, not the other car.

Why isn't it in the water for the summer anyways? These are the best months for boating my good man!

You need some basis for dismissing the “other factors”.
    Bye-laws or simialr restricting parking.
    At common law, your right on the public highway is basically a right to travel, with or without a vehicle of some kind. It’s a natural incident of travelling in your car that, when you get to where you’re going, you’ll want to get out of your car and leave it for a time while you attend to your business. Hence parking a car is a normal incident of using it.
    That sounds more like the dominant discourse of motoring doing a bit of self-justification than the law.

dlofnep wrote: »
    I don't believe I am. If 2 regular sized cars on opposite sides of the street don't block the street, but your boat and another car does - then it's your boat that's obstructing, not the other car.

Why isn't it in the water for the summer anyways? These are the best months for boating my good man!

2 cars on opposite sides of the street do block on coming traffic. One car wont, or one boat wont - so the point is, the property owner doesnt own the space outside their house, nor do they own the space across the road from their house yet someone cant park a car boat or caravan across from someone's house even of they dont own it!

So a Judge would tend to hold in favor of the property owner because of an implied assumed fabricated inexistent property right. I agree not to park the boat there - but i am trying to tease it out to see actually do i have every right to park my boa,t in the housing estate in which i reside in and pay my rent and taxes! I think i ought to have that right for 6 months of the year? But it seems that the law favors a person who has off street parking to monopolize 2 sides of the road parking spaces for their own use even though they dont have any legal right to it.

So a Judge would tend to hold in favor of the property owner because of an implied assumed fabricated inexistent property right. I agree not to park the boat there - but i am trying to tease it out to see actually do i have every right to park my boa,t in the housing estate in which i reside in and pay my rent and taxes! I think i ought to have that right for 6 months of the year? But it seems that the law favors a person who has off street parking to monopolize 2 sides of the road parking spaces for their own use even though they dont have any legal right to it.

Unless yours is a private estate with unusual rules, nobody has a particular right to park outside his own house, or to prevent others from doing so. If you are paying rent, you are renting the house, not the street in front of it. If you bought your house, you bought your house and not the street in front of it, or any particular right in relation to the street in front of it.

It’s good manners and social convention which dictate that we park outside our own houses, and try not to park outside our neighbours’ houses. And the larger the vehicle we want to park, the more sensitive we have to be about where we park it, and how long we leave it there. A boat on a trailer does raise more concerns because (a) it takes up more space and has a higher profile than a typical car, and (b) the practical need to keep it on the street and near to your house is much less than in the case of your car, which is used on the street and which most people use daily, if not more than once a day.

If you leave your boat on the street outside your house for weeks on end, you have three potential problems.

(a) Risk of vandalism/damage/curious poking around. (This alone would deter me from doing what you are suggesting.)

(b) Social problems with your neighbours.

(c) Legal problems, if you can’t resolve the social problems.

If it does get legal, the fact that you own, or rent, a house in the street is completely irrelevant (barring unusual rules in a private estate). In general, what you can and can’t do in the public highway doesn’t depend at all on where you live, and whether you own, rent or live in a property belonging to someone else.
    That sounds more like the dominant discourse of motoring doing a bit of self-justification than the law.
    Not all all! I’m a cyclist; I get quite pissed off at motorists and their careless parking habits!

What I’m coming from is that the classic common-law statements about the use of the highway and public rights over it don’t mention parking at all; they talk only about moving along it, without obstruction. And, historically, this makes sense; in the days when your choice was travel on foot, ride or drive and horse and cart/carriage, you did not leave your carriage on the side of the road unless your horse was in harness and you expected to be back very shortly to drive it away. Parking in the sense of leaving your vehicle on the road until you next require it simply did not occur, and consequently there was no established right to do it. And, furthermore, the right of others to move along the highway without obstruction suggested that there was a norm of not leaving inert objects in the highway.

So where do we get the idea that there is any right to park anything on the road?

As motoring became more common people started to park their cars. From memory - sorry, no cite - the courts initially regarded this as, basically, negligent. A car was (a) moveable, (b) valuable and (c) potentially dangerous, and simply leaving it unattended on the side of road was regarded as very odd behaviour, and very irresponsible. If inconvenience or damage resulted to anyone, the presumption was that the person who left the car there was at least partly responsible, if not primarily or even solely responsible.

Over time, of course, common sense prevailed. More and more people had cars and, as car ownership moved downwards, in socio-economic terms, fewer and fewer of them were the kind of people who had chauffeurs to drive the car around to the back of the house when they were finished with it, or even the kind of houses that had space for parking at the back. It wasn’t until well into the 1950s or 60s that most new houses were built with garages, or with parking space within the curtilage. So from the middle of the twentieth century onwards lots of people were parking their cars on the road, and this came to be seen as an ordinary incident of using a car (provided you didn't cause an obstruction to other road users). Otherwise, the right to use the public highway at all would, in practical terms, be seriously curtailed for most people.

But there’s no reason to think that this extends into a general right to park anything you like on the road. The factors which combine to develop a right to park your car - basically, the need to use your car on the roads - do not apply to, e.g, boats, helicopters, sea containers, fairground attractions, circus big tops, portable generators, portaloos or other large but moveable things which are not in themselves designed or intended for use on the roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It wouldn't last two months in the estate without the boyos having a go at stealing it

Not for the boat, they don't want the boat but they want the trailer.

The local kids will be messing in your boat all the time
    I suppose if I was a child and there was a boat in the estate I'd be messing around too, it's a novelty

Just a bad idea OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Just something to think about... law or no law...

If an emergency services vehicle couldn't get through to deal with an emergency because there wasn't enough room to pass, eg a fire brigade, then law or no law, I wouldn't like to be the person that delayed or prevented help getting through. The consequences could be greater than a few irrated neighbours. So I believe the OP is making the wise decision to stomp up the storage fees. Good choice Sir/Madam!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭jargon buster

The fire brigade would get through , you can be sure of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I agree with the previous poster. An 18 foot boat on a trailer would not hold up a Fire Brigade - usually at least 6 able bodies men or women in a brigade call out. They deal robustly with anything blocking them.

It may be different for an ambulance or a doctor on call out.

If I were an aggrieved I would mention to certain people that there is a lot of copper in those boars and trailers.

The other thing is that wouldn't the insurance cover be void if left on the side of the road? Plus there's an increased risk of collision if the object is not properly marked/illuminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 GodivaLPP

Here is how this will work......

Car is (presumably) road taxed, insured, and showing reg plates.

Boat/trailer is none of the above. Removing the plates just means they cant (easily) send the litter fine to anyone.... But they will...along with the disposal fee....

Its as said, which is ALLOWED on the road.

GLPP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

GodivaLPP wrote: »
    Here is how this will work......

Car is (presumably) road taxed, insured, and showing reg plates.

Boat/trailer is none of the above.
    All trailers have to have 3rd party insurance, most small car trailers are covered under the car's policy, but a 24' trailer will require it's own 3rd party policy.
    GodivaLPP wrote: »
    Removing the plates just means they cant (easily) send the litter fine to anyone.... But they will...along with the disposal fee....

Its as said, which is ALLOWED on the road.

GLPP

Removing the reg of a car doesn't make it hard to trace the owner, they can trace it through the VIN. It just makes it easier to for the council to remove it. The owner can still be traced and should be to recoup the costs of recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭Departed

BrianD wrote: »

Even a car with a number plate can be considered abandoned and you can ask for it to be removed.
    Under what circumstances? Would the car have to be in bad repair/leaking oil/danger to environment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭Departed

eskimocat wrote: »
    Just something to think about... law or no law...

If an emergency services vehicle couldn't get through to deal with an emergency because there wasn't enough room to pass, eg a fire brigade, then law or no law, I wouldn't like to be the person that delayed or prevented help getting through. The consequences could be greater than a few irrated neighbours. So I believe the OP is making the wise decision to stomp up the storage fees. Good choice Sir/Madam!
    surely anything that would prevent emergency services accessing and could not be moved quickly, like a car, would be breaking some law?

Advertisement