Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deck Pads

Options
  • 12-03-2012 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hey, pretty new here and to surfing, so will probably be asking a lot of stupid questions... apologies in advance :p.

I'm just wondering is there anywhere to get cheap deck pads, as 20 quid is a bit much to spend on a bit of rubber. Or else does anybody use anything as an alternative?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

If its too much, dont buy one?
    You dont need it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Pipz wrote: »
    Hey, pretty new here and to surfing, so will probably be asking a lot of stupid questions... apologies in advance :p.

I'm just wondering is there anywhere to get cheap deck pads, as 20 quid is a bit much to spend on a bit of rubber. Or else does anybody use anything as an alternative?

Welcome to the forum! Just use wax man, don't really need a tail pad imo, especially if you're only a beginner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

20 quid about as cheap as they get! Wouldn't agree that their not for beginners. Even if you not :pac:killin the lip there good for getting your back foot in the right spot over the fins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭BGOllie

20 quid about as cheap as they get! Wouldn't agree that their not for beginners. Even if you not :pac:killin the lip there good for getting your back foot in the right spot over the fins.

Never used a deck pad. Wax does the job enough.
    Problem with a deck pad is that you have to put the back bump in the right place because once it's down it has a tendency to lock your back foot to one spot only.
    But if you decide to get one, get a proper one , not a cheap "£20" one. a cheap one will get water logged, it'll add weight to the back of the board and de laminate quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

take that €20 and spend it on a ding repair kit. you're going to get a few knocks and scrapes on the board over time. it's a good skill and is very rewarding to fix your own board. loads of online stuff on how to do it and videos on you tube.

i've surfed shortboards with and without tailpad, no difference as far as i could tell. the point about more flexibility in your back foot position is a good one. i also felt the pads are uncomfortable for paddling.

not a stupid question either, keep asking and you'll learn quickly in surfing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Never thought i was good enough to warrent one:D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bagus

Tailpads make a big difference in warmer climates for feel and grip (no boots).
    Especially if you are right back on the tail in your turns.

It's very important to put them on correctly. The spot is usually right back as far as the leash cup. That usually results in the back foot being above the fins.

If you place it too far forward you will slow your turn down. The board will fight the turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

Awesome, thanks for all of the advise guys. I think i'll leave it for now so, and see how i get on with just the wax. =]

Advertisement