Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loss of toliet training?

• 12-03-2012 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

6 months ago we got a second dog, a golden retriever, for the family to go along with our Cavalier King Charles Spanniel. Unfortunately our spaniel, who we have had for 5 years has began to pee in the house even though she never did it in the years previous. Is there any way to try and stop this and why is this happening now?

Sandys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Have you taken her to the vet to be checked for medical causes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sandys

No, as I didn't think it was a very serious issue, but if it is something that needs medical attention I will book an appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

You need to rule that out first, urinary tract infections can be quite common.

Thank you i will

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Sandys wrote: »
    Thank you i will

+1 on the vet check. Almost all sudden changes in toileting behaviour are due to a medical cause.. could be uti, could be something not directly related to the urinary tract, but vital to get checked out.
    Also, in what way does this relate to the arrival of the new dog? The the problem start then?
    Is the cav neutered?
    Will you let us know how you get on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Definitely +1 on the vet check.

On another note, is the Golden house trained? If not perhaps your Cavalier can smell the urine and thinks its ok to pee inside. (it takes a serious amount of scrubbing to ensure a dog can't smell it, use BIO washing powder to break down the enzimes in pee or poop).

DBB wrote: »
    +1 on the vet check. Almost all sudden changes in toileting behaviour are due to a medical cause.. could be uti, could be something not directly related to the urinary tract, but vital to get checked out.
    Also, in what way does this relate to the arrival of the new dog? The the problem start then?
    Is the cav neutered?
    Will you let us know how you get on?
    The problems started soon after the arrival of the Golden, my cavalier is neutered. I have not been to the vet yet, I have been very busy at work but hope to schedule an appointment soon. My friends say that this is normal, as the cavalier may be looking for attention. Thoughts?

evilmonkee wrote: »
    Definitely +1 on the vet check.

On another note, is the Golden house trained? If not perhaps your Cavalier can smell the urine and thinks its ok to pee inside. (it takes a serious amount of scrubbing to ensure a dog can't smell it, use BIO washing powder to break down the enzimes in pee or poop).
    Yes she has a few times urinated in the kitchen, but the Cavalier is doing it upstairs on the landing. I am using dettol wipes to clean the urine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I think you just need to get the dog to the vet. There is no point in considering any behavioural reasons until medical reasons have been ruled out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Vet first and foremost - any significant change in toilet behaviour should warrant a trip to the vet, even if it is to only rule things out.

Regarding dettol wipes, personally, you might as well be using kitchen towel.

It takes a hell of a lot of cleaning to get the smell out, particularly if you have carpet. The advice on the washing powder and elbow grease is tried and tested in our house - 2 years pee free and counting!

• Advertisement
Advertisement