Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wine questions

Options
  • 12-03-2012 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

So I'm about to embark on a wine kit adventure. I watched craigtube's video on the process and I am left with two questions (so far):

He uses a brew belt to keep the temperature at 22C. Is that necessary, or will it just take a bit longer?

I get the impression that he has a strong preference for a glass carboy. Are they better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

So I did a bit of reading / googling. This is in case anyone else happens upon this thread:

The instructions for the wine say that if you're fermenting below 20C that you just let it ferment an extra 3 days for primary so that's grand. I'd rather do that than use a brew belt / we don't have the room in the hot press / stinking up the towels etc. would remove all sexy time priviliges for at least a month.

On the glass carboy: There is a preference for them alright, but plastic is fine and it's what I'll be sticking with for now (though if this first brew goes well I may invest in a glass carboy for the future).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Khannie wrote: »
    So I'm about to embark on a wine kit adventure. I watched craigtube's video on the process and I am left with two questions (so far):

He uses a brew belt to keep the temperature at 22C. Is that necessary, or will it just take a bit longer?

I get the impression that he has a strong preference for a glass carboy. Are they better?

A glass carboy is personal preference really, technically it should last much longer as it's harder to scratch than plastic so less of a chance of nasties taking up home. One thing that's certain about them is you have to be very careful when moving them, with or without liquid in them or you could end up with large, razor sharp shards of glass embedded in parts of your body.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Khannie wrote: »

Brew belts are really good for stabilising the temperature, especially over ~24 hours. You can also fine tune the temp in a very practical way by adjusting the height of the belt and the kind of insulation underneath them.

A brew belt is also useful for finishing off a ferment (when sugar is low). They are rarely needed at the outset, but I have found them very useful in january and february of this year.

As for 5 gallon glass carboys ... well they are easier to clean thoroughly, and they dont disturb the ferment as much when you shift them around.

Thought tbh, it is actually pretty difficult to clean a carboy in the first place without the right brushes or gear. Unclean carboys == spoiled hooch.

Advertisement