Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Library Thefts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Why leave your laptop unattended? Its a valuable item so its rather just common sense to keep it on your person.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I know of 1person that definitely had their's stolen, left it for few moments. I won't leave mine on its own, but there are times when you have a sudden urge to get to the toilets, there was an alarm going off when I was using the shop, perhaps someone going through emergency exit.

Either way its low, and the one that I know of had been doing work for a group project so it impacts beyond them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

On the plus side the fear of theft might stop people from hogging plugs when they're not using them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

Reckless behaviour altogether. Do ya reckon it was UCD students behind the thefts or maybe stolen student cards being used to enter?

I'd imagine its the former. Out of 22,000 students there is going to be few bad eggs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Hopefully LibroCop is on the case and hunting the perps down as we speak

They have announcements every so often and a sign as you enter warning people, still a girl near me left hers for 30 minutes, came back moved table and left it there for another 20 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jan shyr

It is common sense to take your laptop or other valuables with you or leave it with someone you know in the library. After all, we are not in Japan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I ALWAYS leave my laptop at my desk, especially around exam time, I've even been known to leave my stuff in the library (laptop etc.) and go to a lecture.

Mainly because decent seats are so hard to find and about 10% have plugs, if even, and my laptop can go about 30 minutes without a charge (old and piece of crap to begin with).

I'm very very surprised that anyone would steal them, considering CCTV and you're logged going in and out, all it takes in one person to identify someone who took the laptop, check for them on camera, and check their card as they went in / out of library.

If it was a student they will 100% be caught, without question. If it was a lost or stolen card then maybe not. But I can bank that they will find the person on camera no problem, even if laptop was taken off camera, a description and their movements will be tracked / found, and they will find the card they used to come in / out, as entrance / exit is on camera.

I feel I would notice if someone left their stuff and someone else came over and stuffed it into their bag and walked away.

I seriously doubt it was a student, you'd want to be awful awful stupid to do that.

One thing is for sure though, Libro Cop will not sleep until they feel the full brunt of libro justice.

[Quote=[Jackass];77583843]I ALWAYS leave my laptop at my desk, especially around exam time, I've even been known to leave my stuff in the library (laptop etc.) and go to a lecture.

Mainly because decent seats are so hard to find and about 10% have plugs, if even, and my laptop can go about 30 minutes without a charge (old and piece of crap to begin with).

I'm very very surprised that anyone would steal them, considering CCTV and you're logged going in and out, all it takes in one person to identify someone who took the laptop, check for them on camera, and check their card as they went in / out of library.

If it was a student they will 100% be caught, without question. If it was a lost or stolen card then maybe not. But I can bank that they will find the person on camera no problem, even if laptop was taken off camera, a description and their movements will be tracked / found, and they will find the card they used to come in / out, as entrance / exit is on camera.

I feel I would notice if someone left their stuff and someone else came over and stuffed it into their bag and walked away.

I seriously doubt it was a student, you'd want to be awful awful stupid to do that.

One thing is for sure though, Libro Cop will not sleep until they feel the full brunt of libro justice.[/Quote]

There are plenty of stupid students, plenty who havd gotten themselves in some sort of troubke and decided thievery was the way to go

• Advertisement

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I ALWAYS leave my laptop at my desk, especially around exam time, I've even been known to leave my stuff in the library (laptop etc.) and go to a lecture.

I hope your trolling cos there is so much wrong with that opening sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

BX 19 wrote: »
    I hope your trolling cos there is so much wrong with that opening sentence.

I do pretty often too. Law section though, most people near me know me I do feel they're atleast half keeping an eye on my stuff.

I'd take breaks or go to lectures with my laptop plugged in, probably not so bad because I usually bring in some sort of multiplug or 4way strip so I am not hogging plugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

errlloyd wrote: »
    I do pretty often too. Law section though, most people near me know me I do feel they're atleast half keeping an eye on my stuff.

I'd take breaks or go to lectures with my laptop plugged in, probably not so bad because I usually bring in some sort of multiplug or 4way strip so I am not hogging plugs.

Pretty sure he's referring to the fact that leaving your stuff there for that long and depriving someone else of a seat is **** thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

It is, I agree, but take a stroll around the first floor library, especially all the "good" seats at the front, and most of the time 100% are taken, about 50% have people sitting there, and maybe 10% actually studying....so I don't stroll around like a shmuck anymore for 30 minutes trying to find a plug...i get a desk, i hog it for the entire day, as do so many people...can't beat em, and all that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I don't have to go library anymore ever since we got a common room :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Meow_Meow

This whole thing of wandering away for lunch and 'reserving' your place is just so damn ignorant. It really pisses me off when people do this with the computers on the engineering floor of the library too- at this stage, if a seat is empty and someone has their work open on it and pens etc (to 'mark' it as theirs), I log out from their account and work away on my own stuff. 9 times out of 10 they won't be back before I'm finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SemiMental

I dont see the problem with people going away for lunch and leaving their work there, as long as its not taking the piss.
    During the exam period I would leave my laptop and work at the desk and head off for a half hour lunch. Im usually in before 9am (to make sure I get a socket!) and will be there until near closing time during the exams, I cant be expected to stay at the desk every minute of the day! I dont feel I should have to move all my stuff, just so some chap who wandered in at 2pm can take the spot while I head off to get some food.
    If I knew I was going to be away for more than an hour, I would take my stuff with me, as I know other people will be looking to use the desk.

I never really worry about my laptop being stolen, as I usually have a few friends sitting close by if im away and it is a pile of junk at this stage anyway! I may invest in one of those locks now though as so many thefts have occured.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kkumk

SemiMental wrote: »
    I dont see the problem with people going away for lunch and leaving their work there, as long as its not taking the piss.
    During the exam period I would leave my laptop and work at the desk and head off for a half hour lunch. Im usually in before 9am (to make sure I get a socket!) and will be there until near closing time during the exams, I cant be expected to stay at the desk every minute of the day! I dont feel I should have to move all my stuff, just so some chap who wandered in at 2pm can take the spot while I head off to get some food.
    If I knew I was going to be away for more than an hour, I would take my stuff with me, as I know other people will be looking to use the desk.

+1! If you're not in before 9am don't complain that you can't get a nice desk during the busy periods! I ensure I'm there at that time (even if it means getting up at 6.30) so I'm not left wandering around, stressing out and complaining about all the people who got in before me.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Topper7

kkumk wrote: »
    +1! If you're not in before 9am don't complain that you can't get a nice desk during the busy periods! I ensure I'm there at that time (even if it means getting up at 6.30) so I'm not left wandering around, stressing out and complaining about all the people who got in before me.

+ 2! I used to be the same as other posters here & give out about all the occupied laptop seats but with noone actually sitting at them! Eventually I started gettin up earlier to get a good seat & then I would actually get a good days work done. Id head off for lunch round 12/1 and then again round 5 for tea. I never packed up my stuff. 1/2 d ppl in there would be on FB, youtube etc so dont see anything wrong with it. Of course the whole problem would be solved if there was more plugs in the library or even quiet study rooms with plugs, wifi & printer available in other buildings.

But it sucks fr those who had their laptops robbed. Hope they didnt loose to much work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

This thread makes me glad I have my own desk and computer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Those Kensington locks are a good idea. You can get cheap versions of them in the 2euro shops for...you guessed it... 2euro. They might not be as tamper proof as the official ones, but at least if someone starts reefing the fudge out of a lock in the middle of the library it's not gonna go unnoticed. Just check that your laptop has a Kensington port first.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

You can't rely on other people to look after your stuff, if the bicycle experience is anything to go by, onlookers are happier to rationalise something like "oh he must have forgotten his key or something" than realise there's a theft going on and do something about it.

Leave the notes, take the laptop if you really have to go somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Sometimes it's not always practical to clear up all your stuff though. When I was in UCD I'd often go for a quick smoke or a coffee from 911 and then be back at my desk in about 15-20mins. There's a difference between taking a lock off a bike in an outdoor, sparsely populated area and trying to pull a Kensington off a laptop in a silent library. At the very least it'll make an unlocked laptop seem more appealing to a thief. To be honest, if you're using any kind of ultraportable, like a netbook or macbook air, these locks are fairly essential. I could walk past an unlocked netbook on a desk and probably put it in the pouch of a big hoody and walk out the door without anyone realising.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Snako

Was talking to the Libro Cops, apparently they have busted the culprits guilty of the recent flurry of library thefts,

An organised group apparently, causing diversions by making false claims of thefts and then sneaking laptops under the barrier,

This is by no means official word, or a declaration of the library now being safe, just thought you guys might be interested to hear,

Kensington locks are handy, a deterrent more than a complete prevention, I believe they plan to stock them in the SU shop soon enough,

So lock them, carry them with you, or always sit beside someone with a Mac Book, surely it will be stolen first :P

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭smunchkins

Actually the thefts are still going on.
    Another college has been hit twice now, so they are returning to the same places.
    Keep vigilant.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

35rg7w.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

That really is shocking . I did my postgrad in UCD and I would never leave my laptop but often people would give me the nod to keep an eye on their laptops if they had to pop to the toilet / get a book . This is definately an eye opener .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

If your a Windows User:

http://gadgettrak.com/

Or MacOS:

http://gadgettrak.com/ or http://www.orbicule.com/undercover/mac/ And not forgetting iCloud can track your Mac as well.

Also with Mac you can apply a 'Firmware Password' such that you can't just simply wipe the drive and reinstall the operating system.

Having tested the system in UCD myself, it actually does work very well. The Orbicule one is superb. I also have placed security stickers inside my Mac and my iPhone, so on the off chance they are ever opened for repair, someone might check if they are stolen (http://www.i-trak.com/home.aspx)

Obviously you still stand a slim chance of getting you laptop back, but having a picture, location and possibly a lead is better than an empty desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 golfcruiser

If you're not in early at exam time, you don't get a plug. It's the same with the parking situation all year round. It's hard to blame someone for leaving their laptop unattened if going to a prinet etc. But I've started taking mine with me at lunch time since the robberies started. It's strange how they began in the mid-term break period in March, when you would think it would be easier to catch the culprits due to the library not being as busy as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

I still think the culprits should be thrown into the lake. Then the monster beneath will decide their fate...by monster I mean the killer swans of course.

Advertisement