Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Library Thefts

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Snako wrote: »
    Was talking to the Libro Cops, apparently they have busted the culprits guilty of the recent flurry of library thefts,

An organised group apparently, causing diversions by making false claims of thefts and then sneaking laptops under the barrier,

This is by no means official word, or a declaration of the library now being safe, just thought you guys might be interested to hear,

Kensington locks are handy, a deterrent more than a complete prevention, I believe they plan to stock them in the SU shop soon enough,

So lock them, carry them with you, or always sit beside someone with a Mac Book, surely it will be stolen first :P

Any idea how they access the library? If they were talking to security and coming in and out they must be students?

How the fu*k can you not police a library though in fairness....they need more cameras...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

When I was last in UCD a few years back, LibroCop and his minions used go around at busy periods and pop a notice on desks with pens and notes but no student. If, in half an hour, the desk was still without a student, Libro Cop et al would remove notes and pens and open the desk for others.

Does that not happen anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How easy is it to tailgate into the library, or does everyone have to show their ID? I'm thinking at how easy it would for someone to walk in, swipe a laptop, and fence it off to pay for the months rent and have cash left over for some drink if ID's aren't checked.

As this sounds to be the case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

the_syco wrote: »
    How easy is it to tailgate into the library, or does everyone have to show their ID? I'm thinking at how easy it would for someone to walk in, swipe a laptop, and fence it off to pay for the months rent and have cash left over for some drink if ID's aren't checked.

As this sounds to be the case!

Not easy for James Joyce Library I would think unless you are using someone elses lost or stolen card. However if you had the student ID and personal details of a student and also looked a lot like them in their ID photo or could change your appearance I'd say it would be possible in theory to con your way in with identity theft using the I forgot my card today excuse. But this would also mean you drawing attention to yourself. It would be pretty sad if some of the most educated and advantaged in the country were thieves. I thought it was only those who will become politicians who we had to worry about...

Anyone know if those Kensington locks are easily cut ? They look weaker than cheap bicycle locks to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Not easy for James Joyce Library I would think unless you are using someone elses lost or stolen card.

When was the last time you saw a face being matched the card? They aren't. So if you have a stolen card, you can easily get in and out. Tail gating isn't possible as the turnstiles rotate only once. Adding to that the fact you can clone the barcodes (Its a standard barcode format) and you can very easily defeat the system. I tried it with a piece of paper and my own student number, worked perfectly.
    Anyone know if those Kensington locks are easily cut ? They look weaker than cheap bicycle locks to me.

Knife though butter, but you'd attract a lot of attention doing it. They are a deterrent and nothing more. If someone wants your laptop, they'll get it. Its kinda like having a high wall on your house, your hoping the robber will move on to an easier target.

Laptop theft is a decent game because if you get one laptop out, you could be up €500+ For a prosecution you have to actually prove they intended to steal your laptop. A decent lawyer could argue if someone walked out with it, they could have mistaken ownership and intended to return it. Thats why I always put stickers on my laptop, so you can instantly know its unique.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Karpops

One thing I kind of take comfort in is the fact that everyone in the Library has a much nicer and more expensive laptop than me. I don't think anyone would ever bother taking mine. There is an upside to not having nice things :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Karpops wrote: »
    One thing I kind of take comfort in is the fact that everyone in the Library has a much nicer and more expensive laptop than me. I don't think anyone would ever bother taking mine. There is an upside to not having nice things :-D

Same here but I cant take the risk of losing priceless months of work due to a criminal being stupid enough to choose my bargain basement netbook over someone elses top of the range mac so I just take it with me whenever I go but leave the cables on the desk. I can never justify leaving a desk abandoned for hours like some pathetic ignoramuses do especially since free time is a luxury towards exam time but 20 minutes for a coffee and a bathroom break seems reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

psychward wrote: »
    Same here but I cant take the risk of losing priceless months of work due to a criminal being stupid enough to choose my bargain basement netbook over someone elses top of the range mac so I just take it with me whenever I go but leave the cables on the desk. I can never justify leaving a desk abandoned for hours like some pathetic ignoramuses do especially since free time is a luxury towards exam time but 20 minutes for a coffee and a bathroom break seems reasonable.

Get yourself an external hard drive and back up every night, it's well worth the money. Even a memory stick is handy, they hold a suprising amount of data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Or do your collegework in a Dropbox* folder, and it'll automatically copy everything you do to their servers. Provides a gig of storage free, which is more than enough to keep all your college stuff on.

*this is a referral link - signing up to the service from here gives both you and me more 250MB more storage.

Advertisement