Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new holland choice

• 12-03-2012 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭

was chatting to a buddy recently and he is looking at changing his tractor. has a 7610 4wd with loader for about 20 years now, and has been very happy with it but thinks its time to change. was into a dealer and reckons he is getting a good trade in but has a few choices, dosent want something too new (not taking out a loan to cover the difference).

1) 7840 SL
    2) 7740 SLE
    3) 7635

He is going to get a loader fitted but is not too sure which one to get, was asking me but while i know a bit about them i've never had one so not sure what they are like to own and run. They are all 97/98 and in good knick about 4k to 5k hours. I know the 7635 is nice and handy around the yard and good in sheds but very basic, not sure what it is like doing tilling or draft work. the 7840 is good and big and ideal for pulling his 1600 gallon tank and will be good and steady for field work. would the 7740 be a good compromise?

the main jobs will be loader work, feeding silage bales, cleaning out straw bedding and stacking & drawing bales. agitating and spreading slurry with a 1600 gallon tank. topping, spreading fertizler, and some tilling (4 board plough, spike rotovator, harrow and rolling). plus all the usually bits and bobs. his yard is a bit tight so is a bit wary about the 7840's turning circle, but does like its stability in the field.

he did look at getting a good old 6 cyliber to do the slurry and tilling (7810/8210) but reckoned he'd perfer to have a more modern yoke to do the loader work so wants some thing that can do it all. also he likes his fords so not really looking for a zetor or massey.

any advice to pass on as i might need the same in the future???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Sounds to me like the 7840 is ideal for the workload that he would be doing

However 2 things 1 is its a 6 cylinder compared to the 7740 which is a 4 cylinder so more diesel used, and it aint getting any cheaper. And second if his yard is tight then the 6 cyclinder is a bigger tractor turning

However the 7840 is a way better tractor than the 7740, which lacks a bit of grunt. The 7840 would be a lot more solid pulling trailers and on the plough etc

The 7740 should manage everything he wants to do, the 7840 would be boss of it though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

cheers tipp man, was thinking the same, i do like the 7840 too, have used the older 7810's over the years and always liked them, found them great for the kinda tilling work he'd be doing and pulling trailers but wouldnt be as confindent with a loader out front, would probaly be fine with bales out in the field, but i'd say the walls and sheds could get a battering.

any idea what a 7635 would be like with a plough and tanker? i know the engine is pretty much the same as the 7740 but as its a good bit lighter would it be lighter on juice?

also whats the shuttle like on the 40's for loader work i've heard varying storys about them? some lads says its fine to change away at low revs and speeds but other always use the clutch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Sounds to me like the 7840 is ideal for the workload that he would be doing

However 2 things 1 is its a 6 cylinder compared to the 7740 which is a 4 cylinder so more diesel used, and it aint getting any cheaper. And second if his yard is tight then the 6 cyclinder is a bigger tractor turning

However the 7840 is a way better tractor than the 7740, which lacks a bit of grunt. The 7840 would be a lot more solid pulling trailers and on the plough etc

The 7740 should manage everything he wants to do, the 7840 would be boss of it though

the 7840 is 6cly straight and the 7740 is 4cyl turbo,same as the 7810 and 7610 and in my experience with the 2 of them the 7810 is lighter on diesel

Advertisement