Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography essays MEGATHREAD!!

Options
  • 09-02-2012 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I'm really confused about this.In class we do hardly anything and my geography teacher is often missing which doesn't help either.. :/ Anyways,i'm just wondering how much time on average should be spent on each part of the geography paper,and how much on average should be written for each essay? Sat the geography mock last week and lets just say it didn't go very well for our class :/ Would appreciate any feedback :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭monkeysarecool

I only know that the 30mark questions should be written under 15mins, in class we do them in 12mins to allow for stress on the day. Theyre meant to be about a page and a half depending on your writing size, they should include 14 SRPs anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lauzie2011

One more thing..this might seem like a stupid question ...
    For the option question i.e geoecology ,wht are they referring to when they say to deal with 3-4 topics rather than giving them a superficial treatment of the points ?

I think it means that, for example if you were writing about the desert biome you have long paragraphs on climate, soil, flora, fauna and talk about them in depth as opposed to just writing 3 non structured pages?

I get it now,thanks for the help :)

• Advertisement

No problem at all! Geography is one of the few subjects where I actually have a good teacher. If you have any other questions just ask

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

What essay would i have to learn for geography in order to be covered. I do Geoecology and the human elective. Any help would be extremly useful!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

I have am studying Geography at the moment and was thinking is there any way to shortcut sections and learn answers that are likely to come up? I looked through each year and there is potentially about 30 answers to be learnt :(

I want an A1 in june and am a very good Geography student but am getting stresses at the moment!

If anyone has some general tips that would be great :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 shanegorman

Yes anyone please help! Geography SRPs are just horrible! For geography you seem to have to learn soooo much to answer so little! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

well for geoecology we covered characteristics of soil:D I find it so easy really hope it comes up in June, was fairly ****ed when it didn't come up in the mocks.. we did deforestation also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

My teacher reckons that either a biome or human effects on soil are dead certs!! Personally hoping the biome pops up :rolleyes: As for Human environment, its always difficult to narrow down, I tried and failed to do that during the mocks :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

We didn't do the human elective, only Geoecology, which is considered easier though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

What are the main questions that I should be learning. I have the Sue Honon revision book, should I learn all them off or is there any ones which are unlikely to come up. Which ones are expected to come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 carnibell

Learn either human interaction with rocks or with rivers. The 2 of them always come up in different questions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Martin_94 wrote: »
    What are the main questions that I should be learning. I have the Sue Honon revision book, should I learn all them off or is there any ones which are unlikely to come up. Which ones are expected to come up.

Physical
    • Human Interaction with Rocks
    • Human Interaction with Surface Processes
    • Weathering ** NEVER CAME UP BEFORE
    • Structures of Deformation
    • Plate Tectonics
    • Limestone Featues

Regional
    • Culture
    • Sketch Map of Ireland
    • Implications of EU Expansion
    • Continental Region

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Physical
    • Human Interaction with Rocks
    • Human Interaction with Surface Processes
    • Weathering ** NEVER CAME UP BEFORE
    • Structures of Deformation
    • Plate Tectonics
    • Limestone Featues

Regional
    • Culture
    • Sketch Map of Ireland
    • Implications of EU Expansion
    • Continental Region

Seeing things in lists like this makes the exam seem so much easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Thanks for the replies,

Just wondering do we need to learn Primary. Secondary and Tertiary activities for BMW, Brazil, Paris and Mezzogiorno. Are we able to leave out one of Paris/Mezzogiorno.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Definitely cant leave any out after last year, its likely theyll ask you to contrast the two in some way.

Do you think it's safe just to study biomes? The questions in the exam papers always have either 2 soils and 1 biome question or 1 soil and 2 biomes. Soils is boring

carnibell wrote: »
    Do you think it's safe just to study biomes? The questions in the exam papers always have either 2 soils and 1 biome question or 1 soil and 2 biomes. Soils is boring
    I doubt it. There's going to be a few shake-ups with the Leaving this year, the SEC has been talking about it for years. And anyway 2 Biome Questions came up last year so I wouldn't be surprised for if there were no Biomes on the paper at all. Even last year with the Characteristics of Biome Question, you could only talk about 3 aspects whereas people usually prepared 4 aspect with 6 SRP'S each. Instead they had to try and squeeze an extra 2 SRP'S out of each aspect minimum to get anywhere near the full marks. Plus if they didn't get minimum 8 SRP'S per aspect and the SRP'S were really thrown together on the day, the candidates lost nearly all the OC marks!

Not trying to be pessimistic here, but i'd imagine we'll be up for a few changes from the Normal Paper layouts for every subject this year

• Advertisement

ahh dammit i hate soils its actually so boring

It's all boring tbh! :(. Still, it's a handy enough A2 with a bit of work! #here's hoping!

I like most of the course it's not the worst subject out there. Yeah I'd love an A2 in it

yeah its hard to know what to study there's too much on the course. What electives and options are you doing?

Doing biomes and soils for option...and Human Geography for elective.
    What are you doing??

is the desert biome easier than the rainforest biome?

geoecology and economic geography. Whats human geog like?

Its pretty handy to be honest.Migration is nearly always a guaranteed question which makes it easier.

thats not that bad :) there's a good few questions in economic geog but there not hard :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MarkTerence

Martin_94 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies,

Just wondering do we need to learn Primary. Secondary and Tertiary activities for BMW, Brazil, Paris and Mezzogiorno. Are we able to leave out one of Paris/Mezzogiorno.

Learn primary and secondary from Paris
    then learn off about 8 or 9 srps from them in Mezzogiorno.. Its not too bad!:)

Watch pop distribution in an Irish Region and development of one tertiary activity in an irish region.. seems like one of them will appear (trend)

Advertisement