Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography essays MEGATHREAD!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Oh god guys, I'm panicking.

There is no chance any one has notes already typed up on the following topics?

-East of Ireland, tertiary activities
    -Paris Basin, primary and secondary activities
    -Mezzogiorno, primary and secondary activities

I just can't find my notes on them anywhere and that's like five out of the twelve essays I'm studying for the exam. :(

Edit: I meant there for the regional part of the exam. If I was only learning 12 essays I'd have a lot more to worry about. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

what do people think of this for physical?
    - igneous
    - metamorphic
    - sedimentary
    - dams
    - quarrying
    - ox-bow lake
    - v-shaped valley
    - measurements and effects of earthquakes
    - Karst landscape
    - isostatic change

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

Oh god guys, I'm panicking.

There is no chance any one has notes already typed up on the following topics?

-East of Ireland, tertiary activities
    -Paris Basin, primary and secondary activities
    -Mezzogiorno, primary and secondary activities

I just can't find my notes on them anywhere and that's like five out of the twelve essays I'm studying for the exam. :(

Edit: I meant there for the regional part of the exam. If I was only learning 12 essays I'd have a lot more to worry about. :rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056138128

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Sunny!! wrote: »
    what do people think of this for physical?
    - igneous
    - metamorphic
    - sedimentary
    - dams
    - quarrying
    - ox-bow lake
    - v-shaped valley
    - measurements and effects of earthquakes
    - Karst landscape
    - isostatic change
    -How plate tectonics help us understand the global distrinution of earthquakes

Igneous came up last year.

Why is V-Shaped valley even on that list? Afaik you only need to know one landform.

Wesc. wrote: »
    Igneous came up last year.

Why is V-Shaped valley even on that list? Afaik you only need to know one landform.

I seen in a sample paper somewhere they could ask for two landforms?

Could they not just put up igneous again?

Dont like plate tectonics tbh:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

If they asked for 2 landforms couldnt you split your ox-bow lake up? :P

Earthquakes are quite topical atm and havent been up in a while, it'd be a good idea to learn them. Its unlikely they'll re-ask igneous too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

bobjimmy wrote: »

You're a life saver. Crisis adverted! :o Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rkeano5

Wes- are they inky pens? I'm a lefty and any inky pens makes me drag the ink all over the page and on my hand- not good! I'd say i'd get them in Easons in Longford! 'HON LONGFORD..

I feel your pain. Smudging ink has been the bane of many an exam for me, one of the few downsides of being sinister....

Patchy~ wrote: »
    If they asked for 2 landforms couldnt you split your ox-bow lake up? :P

Earthquakes are quite topical atm and havent been up in a while, it'd be a good idea to learn them. Its unlikely they'll re-ask igneous too.

do they not ever throw in tricks in geography? or can you just rely on predictions?

Well of course they do - I actually misread the exam papers and I've learned igneous, but I hadnt planned to. You can always avoid a trick, and they havent done it in the past rrreeeeally. You can never rely on predictions but geography is pretty easy to predict :L

• Advertisement

Well of course they do - I actually misread the exam papers and I've learned igneous, but I hadnt planned to. You can always avoid a trick, and they havent done it in the past rrreeeeally. You can never rely on predictions but geography is pretty easy to predict :L

See question 1 is a write off because of plate tectonics so its 2/3 so ive to cover most things.

Well technically tectonics could come up in all 3, on their own, with volcanoes, with EQs or with fold mountains. It'd be a good idea to learn them tbh, they're useful and its JC stuff really. :)

Well technically tectonics could come up in all 3, on their own, with volcanoes, with EQs or with fold mountains. It'd be a good idea to learn them tbh, they're useful and its JC stuff really. :)

never happened before would want to be very unlucky :L but i would be able to write a couple of srps if they came up so it wouldnt be disastrous

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I keep forgetting to study isostatic change but it came up last year so maybe it won't come up again.
    I have rocks, rivers , earthquakes , plate tectonics , volcanoes sections done just going over them then need to go over the karst.

I have most of regional to learn and practice drawing the maps . Then learn most of the human. I have quite a lot of geography to do. I have 2 geoecology essays done.

I think I can get it all done I do know most of it already it's just remembering it in greater detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

I haaaaaaaaaaate Isostatic Processes. Hate it. Hate.

My teacher last year skipped isostatic processes and said it won't come up and it came up :rolleyes: . I think I have a sample answer on it going to learn it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

What I think us likely in physical:
    •The Standard ones (landform, human interaction with rock cycle & surface processes)... Although they're trying to reduce predictability and they always ask these so they might not put them on this year!!
    • 2 VOLCANIC LANDFORMS
    • LANDFORMS OF FOLDING & FAULTING
    • ROCK TYPE & DISTINCTIVE LANDSCAPE or FORMATION OF SEDIMENTARY
    • HOW PLATE TECTONICS HELPS US UNDERSTAND OCCURENCE OF EARTHQUAKES

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Geo10 wrote: »
    •The Standard ones (landform, human interaction with rock cycle & surface processes)... Although they're trying to reduce predictability and they always ask these so they might not put them on this year!!
    • 2 VOLCANIC LANDFORMS
    • LANDFORMS OF FOLDING & FAULTING
    • ROCK TYPE & DISTINCTIVE LANDSCAPE or FORMATION OF SEDIMENTARY
    • HOW PLATE TECTONICS HELPS US UNDERSTAND OCCURENCE OF EARTHQUAKES

I feel like you're shouting Geography at me. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Munster07

We've had a pretty pathetic geography teacher! Our notes are all over the place etc..anybody have any tips for learning the whole geography course in less than a week? ..and please don't say "Getting off boards would be a start! :P "

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

Please dont say that. I'm DEPENDING ON THEM!!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

•The Standard ones (landform, human interaction with rock cycle & surface processes)

Landform is a waterfall yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Landform is a waterfall yeah?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 SuchGold

I'm not really sure what answer to give for this question:
    2010 biome question:
    Examine the influence of climate on the characteristics of one biome that you that have
    studied.

Do you talk about how the flora and fauna adapt to the climate by changing their behaviour, bodily functions etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

SuchGold wrote: »
    I'm not really sure what answer to give for this question:
    2010 biome question:
    Examine the influence of climate on the characteristics of one biome that you that have
    studied.

Do you talk about how the flora and fauna adapt to the climate by changing their behaviour, bodily functions etc??

Yes but also discuss how soil adapts to the climate aswell.That way you have more to talk about. Also make sure you stick to the influence climate has and don't just talk about the characteristics of a biome :D

Anyone else just learning the essays for geoecology thats in the Exam Skills?
    I've learnt two so far . I do occasionally change the wording of some lines in it. I didn't write one myself as I had no teacher to correct it and he hadn't even started that section yet .

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Anyone else just learning the essays for geoecology thats in the Exam Skills?
    I've learnt two so far . I do occasionally change the wording of some lines in it. I didn't write one myself as I had no teacher to correct it and he hadn't even started that section yet .

I'm using Exam Skills but I haven't learned 1 word for word, I take bullet points of the main points on flash cards and I'm hoping the bits in between come to me on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭clairey__Ox

Hey guys, so for geoecology I'm basically relying on the Exam Skills book (blame an awful teacher and my naivety) and I'm doing a desert region. Seeing as human/economic interaction came up last year will I be okay skipping it for the biome? As the sample answer is on Rainforests and I'll probably end up getting confused :o
    I've covered the rests of soil & biome pretty well, but am I mad to leave it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Darren.993

Just wondering, how would you identity a waterfall on an OS Map? I know a lot of the time they ask the landform development question with the OS Map, and our teacher said you could argue that a waterfall is on there, even if it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Darren.993 wrote: »
    Just wondering, how would you identity a waterfall on an OS Map? I know a lot of the time they ask the landform development question with the OS Map, and our teacher said you could argue that a waterfall is on there, even if it isn't.

It will actually have waterfall written in if there is one there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Darren.993 wrote: »

You would also notice the contour lines bunched up together with a river flowing down the middle

Advertisement