Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography essays MEGATHREAD!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Monkeyman1993

I'm only gonna learn flood plains and waterfalls for the physical section and if they don't come up, then they don't come up! I was just wondering how many SRPs everyone thinks are in this, i reckon 14. And does anyone have any extra ones i could use?

Ps. i'm assuming they'll do the with reference to the OS map thing again.

In this answer i will examine the formation of a flood plain.
    This is evident on the OS map at V111 111 by the pale green colour and the lack of contour lines.
    A flood plain is a feature of river deposition and it is the flat area of land on either side of a river. It may be found in the mature or old age stage.
    The processes involved in the formation of a flood plain are flooding and deposition.
    When a river's volume becomes too much it bursts its banks and flood out into the surrounding area.
    When this happens, the load is deposited and large areas of flat, even, flood plain are formed on both sides.
    As a river flows through a valley the meanders swing out and remove any interlocking spurs or raises in the land to produce a flat plain.
    When the river floods the load is deposited, but the water percolates through, leaving a thin layer of sediment known as alluvium.
    Over many years and repeated flooding a deep layer of alluvium will form. This is fertile and is often used for agriculture.
    The edges of the plain which are low hills are called bluffs. These have resisted the erosion and border the plain.
    A very flat flood plain can be found on the River Suit near Clonmel.
    Floodplains are of great importance to a river. During times of heavy rainfall this is where a river will burst its banks are overflow.
    The flatness of the land slows down the water and encourages deposition. This reduces the damage caused by erosion.
    Diagram.

Any one have any other ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Can you identify a levee on an OS map? I did waterfall and levee

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SineadMcc

Does anyone know what essay is "Borders of a region change over time" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

SineadMcc wrote: »
    Does anyone know what essay is "Borders of a region change over time" ?

I think you can talk about how the boundaries of an urban region changed over time e.g the expansion of Dublin or LA
    But I'm not 100% sure... I learned them for the urban region Q but I can't see why they wouldn't be accepted for the change in the Borders of a region

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Geo10 wrote: »
    I think you can talk about how the boundaries of an urban region changed over time e.g the expansion of Dublin or LA
    But I'm not 100% sure... I learned them for the urban region Q but I can't see why they wouldn't be accepted for the change in the Borders of a region

Correct, that's exactly what it is.

• Advertisement

Thank you for your help, I have it here!! * The nerves are getting to me :p

Sorry guys but I still haven't started human elective :(. Anyone have any pointers?

Hayezer wrote: »
    Sorry guys but I still haven't started human elective :(. Anyone have any pointers?

Ehmm, Make sure you know migration, the questions change really every year so there's no concrete answer for it (correct me if i'm wrong :p ) .. but like look at Donar/Host countries .. urban problems in cities(traffic cong &urban decay/sprawl) and the strategies to deal with all that (urban renewal&redevelopment) , functions and services change over time (eg Galway with medieval education etc) , change in land use - docklands .. and so on , also even ethnic, racial & religious issues created by migration ! The list goes on :(......

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

How does this look for the Measurement and Effects of Earthquakes (Just typed out in SRP's

2008, Question 3
    Examine with references to actual examples the Measurement and Effects of Earthquakes. [30m]

Seismograph - Measures seismic waves
    Weight suspended on string
    3 seismographs in a station
    2 horizontal (East-West/North-South)
    1 vertical
    Richter Scale - Measures Motion/Energy
    Logarithmic scale

Effects vary
    Los angeles - 1994
    Along San Andreas Fault
    6.7 on Richter scale
    40 seconds long
    Epicentre just north of LA city
    Over 60 killed, 9000 injured, 25000 homeless
    €50 billion in damages

Japan - 1997 - Kobe
    Subtuction zone off cost
    Most earthquake prone zone in the world
    5000 dead
    €31 billion in damages

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

CiaranK wrote: »
    How does this look for the Measurement and Effects of Earthquakes (Just typed out in SRP's

2008, Question 3
    Examine with references to actual examples the Measurement and Effects of Earthquakes. [30m]

Seismograph - Measures seismic waves
    Weight suspended on string
    3 seismographs in a station
    2 horizontal (East-West/North-South)
    1 vertical
    Richter Scale - Measures Motion/Energy
    Logarithmic scale

Effects vary
    Los angeles - 1994
    Along San Andreas Fault
    6.7 on Richter scale
    40 seconds long
    Epicentre just north of LA city
    Over 60 killed, 9000 injured, 25000 homeless
    €50 billion in damages

Japan - 1997 - Kobe
    Subtuction zone off cost
    Most earthquake prone zone in the world
    5000 dead
    €31 billion in damages

Looks good! Detailed but very clear! Especially the Measurements section! I just talk about how the Richter and Modified Mercalli scale measure the effects of earthquakes!

For effects i'm doing the Pakistan Earthquake (2005) and Mexico City (1985)

• Advertisement

Looks good! Detailed but very clear! Especially the Measurements section! I just talk about how the Richter and Modified Mercalli scale measure the effects of earthquakes!

For effects i'm doing the Pakistan Earthquake (2005) and Mexico City (1985)

Nice one thanks :) I'm pretty much ready for Physical now.

Regional is the killer for me :/ The Geoecology I know 4 essays. The elective isn't too bad either.

If you break the paper down it isn't too bad at all. The % breakdown looks like this:

Short Q's - 16%
    A parts - 4% each (x3)
    B parts - 6% each (x3)
    C parts - 6% each (x3)
    Option - 16%
    Project - 20%

Nice one thanks :) I'm pretty much ready for Physical now.

Regional is the killer for me :/ The Geoecology I know 4 essays. The elective isn't too bad either.

If you break the paper down it isn't too bad at all. The % breakdown looks like this:

Short Q's - 16%
    A parts - 4% each (x3)
    B parts - 6% each (x3)
    C parts - 6% each (x3)
    Option - 16%
    Project - 20%
    Agree completely! Regional is awful! But it's only one section!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Agree completely! Regional is awful! But it's only one section!

A few weeks ago I would have said Regional was the worst but I think it's fairly nice :P The only thing I do not like about it is the learning of stats... :/ I seem to get different stats mixed up throughout my essays :(

Only need to look over few Human essays,go over physical essays and interactions with biome :D

Anyone know if down the years questions have come up 2 years in a row? Cus I'm skipping every question that came up last year, starting to think I should learn a few :S

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I lost my perfect answer I had on the human interaction with the rock cycle :(. I guess I'll have to use the sample answer now. I had the other learnt off before but I can't remember it as I need to look over it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Is anyone else wary about using the exam skills book?

My essays are pretty much a lot of points being ripped out of it, wouldn't the examiners get bored of seeing the same answers and maybe cost you a few marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Fergus_ wrote: »

My essays are pretty much a lot of points being ripped out of it, wouldn't the examiners get bored of seeing the same answers and maybe cost you a few marks?

Once you have the relevant information they can't not give you the marks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Fergus_ wrote: »

They won't mind as you would've had to spend time learning the answer. I asked my teacher he said it's fine.

Anyone else get nervous about Geography? :/ I really want an A and am fairly well prepared but it seems to be taking up a lot of my time...Human Geo will be my downfall :( I will need to study from 7-9 going over Human and Option.Hopefully will fit in some English after...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Thanks for the responses, that certainly puts my mind at ease because our textbook is really bad for taking notes out of and our teacher didn't exactly give us good notes either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Hellebelle

Can you answer the questions in bullet point form or will you lose marks if you don't write it essay style?

Hellebelle wrote: »
    Can you answer the questions in bullet point form or will you lose marks if you don't write it essay style?

I was told always do it in essay form

Hellebelle wrote: »

You can answer the 30 markers in bullet points, essay form or a mixture of both (essay where you make points/ lists)... it doesn't matter as long as you have the SRPs

I'd answer the option in essay form though as there are Overall Cohesion/ Clarity marks.

David1994 wrote: »
    A few weeks ago I would have said Regional was the worst but I think it's fairly nice :P The only thing I do not like about it is the learning of stats... :/ I seem to get different stats mixed up throughout my essays :(

Only need to look over few Human essays,go over physical essays and interactions with biome :D

I'm the same with Regional! I'm fine learning off the stats but when I'm done learning all the answers I get all the statistics mixed up! :( I'm going to have to literally look at all the regional answers just before the exam so that doesn't happen on the day. Statistics only stay in my head for an average of 3 hours and then gone!

I'm the same with Regional! I'm fine learning off the stats but when I'm done learning all the answers I get all the statistics mixed up! :( I'm going to have to literally look at all the regional answers just before the exam so that doesn't happen on the day. Statistics only stay in my head for an average of 3 hours and then gone!

Yep thats my plan too :/ Tomorrow I am going to do have to do a good bit of Geography aswell as English. Hopefully we will be ok though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭treely

What are the chances of a human activity on only ONE biome coming up? I have an essay on two biomes, and couldnt answer on one if it came up. Do you reckon this will be enough for geocology?

Human activities on two biomes
    Human activities on soils
    Characteristics of biome
    Adaption of flora and fauna on biome

My essays for the last two on that list are very similar. Should it be that way? In my characteristics one, I have a bullet point or two on adaptions under headings of flora and fauna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Ah lads, in five days time we won't need this thread ever again. :( I cannot believe it's that close!

I'm considering learning the Influence of Climate on the Characteristics of a Biome instead of Human Interaction with Soils..

Good/bad idea?

Ah lads, in five days time we won't need this thread ever again. :( I cannot believe it's that close!

Aah! Panicking now! :eek: I'm kind of in the "denial stage" that the LC is actually going to happen! I haven't even looked at English yet! I'm really trying to concentrate on geog though cos that's supposed to be my best subject. I've so much geo to learn I might leave all English till the day before!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Hellebelle

I was told always do it in essay form

My teacher never even mentioned doing it in bullet points, it's only on here I saw someone mentioning it. If worst comes to the worst I might just have to write it in points and hope for the best :(

Advertisement