Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography essays MEGATHREAD!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

For elective I have:
    • Urban Problems in developed world
    • Central Place Theory
    • Historic Settlements
    • Rural Settlement Patterns
    • Donor and Receiver region
    • Pop. density and distribution
    • Land functions thing
    Think I'd be ok? Really don't feel like doing anymore but if anyone thinks 1 or 2 more things might come up I might add them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Hayezer wrote: »
    For elective I have:
    • Urban Problems in developed world
    • Central Place Theory
    • Historic Settlements
    • Rural Settlement Patterns
    • Donor and Receiver region
    • Pop. density and distribution
    • Land functions thing
    Think I'd be ok? Really don't feel like doing anymore but if anyone thinks 1 or 2 more things might come up I might add them

Have you studied a theoretical model that explains the development of land use zones? The Burgess Concentric zone model? Hasn't been up since 2006 I think! Looks good though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I really hope secondary activities in a Irish region comes up. I think primary came up last year.
    Do I need to learn the thing about the EU? I was thinking of leaving it it doesn't usually come up on both questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Have you studied a theoretical model that explains the development of land use zones? The Burgess Concentric zone model? Hasn't been up since 2006 I think! Looks good though!

I'll have a quick look over it, cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

has anyone noticed in sue honans book in the human section she has two 2012 questions?

pg 159 dynamics of settlement - land use zones
    pg 171 urban expansion

Misprint?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Sunny!! wrote: »
    has anyone noticed in sue honans book in the human section she has two 2012 questions?

pg 159 dynamics of settlement - land use zones
    pg 171 urban expansion

Misprint?

I noticed those too. It'd be funny if they showed up on the paper. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

Quick question just wondering for the 2009 paper.
    For question 10 (C) its examine how the functions of an urban centre has changed over time.

And then for question 12 (C) its describe and explain changing land use in urban areas.

Is this just not basically the same question?

I noticed those too. It'd be funny if they showed up on the paper. :D

i find it a bit weird though the same misprint was on different pages.
    Maybe these topics are guaranteed?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JLAD95

carnibell wrote: »
    Learn either human interaction with rocks or with rivers. The 2 of them always come up in different questions :)
    Thanks I never realised that.

bobjimmy wrote: »
    Quick question just wondering for the 2009 paper.
    For question 10 (C) its examine how the functions of an urban centre has changed over time.

And then for question 12 (C) its describe and explain changing land use in urban areas.

Is this just not basically the same question?

No, they're actually very different!

For the Functions of an Urban Centre, you talk about how an Urban areas functions have changed over time. For example if you take Entertainment Functions in Dublin City:

You discuss:
    • What function you're discussing- The 02 Arena Dublin
    • What it use to be- A Train depo where trains were sent to be fixed
    • Why did this service decline? As the rail terminis was too small
    • What is its function now- Music Concerts
    • Where is it located- Along the quays (I think?)
    • Why is it located there- Accessibility end of route focus.

And you do this for 2 functions. Another could be service functions and you talk about the National Convention Centre.

12(C)- Changing land use:

You name your city
    Give 2 Areas of Changing land use- CBD and Transition Zone
    Discuss why both have changed (what's there, why is it there, where are these areas located in Dublin, why has land use changed etc.)

For example:

CBD
    • Centre of Business in a city. Most goods services supplied are available in this area.
    • Stretches from Grafton Street across River Liffey to O'Connell street in Dublin
    • Land use changes so highest revenue can be earned from shops/services that occupy CBD
    • Many old residences built in last century have been changed into modern office blocks as they earn more revenue e.g. Merrion Street

You give a couple more SRP's and do the same for the Transition Zone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 teacake

Well lads, I'm only looking for a D3, so what should I focus on for the phyiscal questions and elective?

teacake wrote: »
    Well lads, I'm only looking for a D3, so what should I focus on for the phyiscal questions and elective?

- waterfall
    - sedimentary rocks

- donor receiver for human
    - changing land uses

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

I really hope secondary activities in a Irish region comes up. I think primary came up last year.
    Do I need to learn the thing about the EU? I was thinking of leaving it it doesn't usually come up on both questions.

secondary and primary came up last year for an irish region.
    go with teritary, hasn't been up since 07/08

I really think the Contrast question this year will be on Agriculture in Europe. Agriculture has NEVER been asked!! Ever! They're going to have to ask it at some stage! Why not Friday morning at 9.30? :P

OMG, I felt sick when I wrote that.. *gags

:eek:
    I really think the Contrast question this year will be on Agriculture in Europe. Agriculture has NEVER been asked!! Ever! They're going to have to ask it at some stage! Why not Friday morning at 9.30? :P

oh god, when i was making out my plan i was like will i take the risk and leave this out, and i did, this must be a sign!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭siobhan93

Hahahahahahaha that made me laugh.. cause that made me feel seriously sick!! Sounded like you were excited about it :pac:

siobhan93 wrote: »
    [/B]

Hahahahahahaha that made me laugh.. cause that made me feel seriously sick!! Sounded like you were excited about it :pac:

I'm nearly in a vomit inducing state thinking about it.. I need an A1 and I have so much left to do. And I can't devote all my time to it as I need a B1 minimum (absolute minimum) in English and haven't looked at Maths Paper I yet.. Omg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

I felt sick reading that! :D mainly because that's the one thing I think REALLY might come up!! Would this be ok as a template for that answer?
    • How SOILS Help Agri in Paris Basin & hinder it in Mezzogiorno (and then discuss)
    • How CLIMATE Help Agri in Paris Basin & hinder it in Mezzogiorno (and then discuss)
    • How HUMAN FACTORS Help Agri in Paris Basin & hinder it in Mezzogiorno (and then discuss e.g. Size of Market, Transport infrastructure, farm sizes and ownership/ latifundia etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

How do you even do a comparison essay, if I tried to do one gaurantee it'd be about 2 pages long :S
    But I know Agriculture in both Mezzogiorno and Paris off by heart :D
    Do you'd think it'd be alright studying just Teritary activities in BMW/GDA? Seeing as manufacturing and Agriculture came up last year for Irish regions.

How do you even do a comparison essay, if I tried to do one gaurantee it'd be about 2 pages long :S
    But I know Agriculture in both Mezzogiorno and Paris off by heart :D
    Do you'd think it'd be alright studying just Teritary activities in BMW/GDA? Seeing as manufacturing and Agriculture came up last year for Irish regions.

ive just left out manufacturing. They could give a general question about activities though but i suppose you could avoid it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

I did the 2008 geography paper there in the time allocated i.e. 2 hours and 50 minutes.
    I answered every question correct with a few extra SRPs..
    Does this mean I get 100% :confused: :P

EDIT: Oh I forgot my project :( It's over the word count :( :P..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Okay Guys, should I plan each question quickly before hand like it says, or just launch straight into it. Me thinks the Latter. Yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Martin_94 wrote: »
    Okay Guys, should I plan each question quickly before hand like it says, or just launch straight into it. Me thinks the Latter. Yes?

F*ck no. Dive straight into the question. No time for wasting especially not for planning!

And for the rest of you don't spend a recommended 10 bloody minutes looking over the paper and choosing your questions at the start... it's a ridiculous idea :P

Martin_94 wrote: »

id only do it for the biome/option, for the others launch straight in to them, there is simply not enough time in the geography exam for planning every question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I've learned one answer for the option section because I hate it...
    >_>
    <_<
    It's a basically guaranteed one (I dont do biomes before yiz get excited :L) but god I need to learn like 3 more :(
    Ugh, geography :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Oops, I learned the primary activities of Paris and Dublin.

I will learn teritary activities of the 3 regions tomorrow.

I also heard culture is hinted to come up so I learned culture for Irish region (Gaeltacht) and the last culture question was "any region" so I hope I'm safe with this.

Fergus_ wrote: »
    Oops, I learned the primary activities of Paris and Dublin.

I will learn teritary activities of the 3 regions tomorrow.

I also heard culture is hinted to come up so I learned culture for Irish region (Gaeltacht) and the last culture question was "any region" so I hope I'm safe with this.

con/sub-con id say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

Dynamics of Settlement
    Describe and explain the land-use zones in any city that you have studied

This question came up last year. Im a bit confused is it asking you for the functions of an urban region

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

What regional questions are the most likely to come up this year?
    I have so much geography to go over but regional I need to learn it all tby tomorrow I've done the bmv/gda today. Tomorrow it's the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 PowKitty

What regional questions are the most likely to come up this year?
    I have so much geography to go over but regional I need to learn it all tby tomorrow I've done the bmv/gda today. Tomorrow it's the others.

Secondary and Tertiary activities in Brazil hasn't come up in a while
    Sketchmap on either Irish region/ EU region
    And i'm guessing a culture question, which i'm doing Belgium and Brazil.

The amount of geography is unreal :(

Advertisement