Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography essays MEGATHREAD!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Fergus_ wrote: »
    Oops, I learned the primary activities of Paris and Dublin.

I will learn teritary activities of the 3 regions tomorrow.

I also heard culture is hinted to come up so I learned culture for Irish region (Gaeltacht) and the last culture question was "any region" so I hope I'm safe with this.

Yeah I learned the Gaeltacht region today as they haven't specified an IRISH cultural region yet so it's very likely! :D
    I think tertiary is definitely coming up in one of the regions so I'm going to learn them too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Geography Plan for today:

9.00-10.00: SW USA (Primary, Secondary, Culture, Growth)
    10.00-11.00: Influence of Climate on Characteristics of Biome
    11.00-12.00: Paris (Primary, Secondary, Teritary)
    12.30-1.30: Teritary (Ireland) Growth of Ireland, Culture Ireland
    1.30-2.30: Geothermal, Weathering, Meanders, Deformation, Dams
    3.30-4.30: Formation of Rock (+ Feature), Measurement/effect Earthquakes

Anddddddd i'm meant to have started by now, so g'luck! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭clairey__Ox

Hey lads!
    For the Elctive Q, Patterns & Processes in Economic activities, I have just found a Q which my teacher never did...
    it's the economic growth of a developed country under Financial services tourism or Industrial Decline.
    Will it always give me an option to pick one? As in, can I learn EITHER Ireland, Spain or Belgium and be okay?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I have a whole day to learn all this regional and the human section oh yeah and I have two more geoecology essays to learn.

Guys when you're discussing Culture in SW USA (The different cultural groups depending on their origins), what is your aspect of culture you're discussing? For example if you were doing Ireland your aspect is Language, is the aspect for SW USA just Cultural Distinct regions or what? It's worth an SRP if you state it at the start of your answer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

I will be doing Geography from 6 till 10 :P Going over all answers and testing myself on them...So little time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Guys when you're discussing Culture in SW USA (The different cultural groups depending on their origins), what is your aspect of culture you're discussing? For example if you were doing Ireland your aspect is Language, is the aspect for SW USA just Cultural Distinct regions or what? It's worth an SRP if you state it at the start of your answer!

I presume your looking at the answer from Sue Honan's book now? At the start she states: Culture can be described by ethnic origin, language, religion, foods and festivals. I'm pretty sure that's an SRP, so you're basically talking about loads of aspects which isn't a bad thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭treely

Gonna have to do loadsa geography today! Question: What essays is everyone learning for the human elective? I'm quite stuck on what to do for it. Is it worth learning burgess model? Oh, and impact of EU expansion on Ireland, is that human or economic or regional? Don't think I've ever done it before. :confused:

Any point in learning these essays? I'm short on time rememver:

Land use zones in Dublin
    Causes and effect of traffic congestion
    Urban decay/decline problems and solutions
    Effects of urban to rural migration on a developing country
    Population distribution in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Geographyhater

For the human elective is it best just to read over it a few times in questions like os map interpretation cant see myself learning word for word like regional!

• Advertisement

treely wrote: »
    Any point in learning these essays? I'm short on time rememver:

Land use zones in Dublin
    Causes and effect of traffic congestion
    Urban decay/decline problems and solutions
    Effects of urban to rural migration on a developing country
    Population distribution in Ireland

The rural to urban migration in developing world came up last year. It might be more worth your while to study rural to urban migration in developed world i.e. Urban problems. I'd also study Christaller cos the Theory on its own didn't come up in years

Geo10 wrote: »
    The rural to urban migration in developing world came up last year. It might be more worth your while to study rural to urban migration in developed world i.e. Urban problems. I'd also study Christaller cos the Theory on its own didn't come up in years

Whats Christaller:confused:
    And would urban problems be an essay just on urban sprawl? Causes and solutions?

treely wrote: »
    Whats Christaller:confused:
    And would urban problems be an essay just on urban sprawl? Causes and solutions?

Christaller's Central Place Theory (it's about how settlements act as a central place when they provide goods and services for people in the town and its hinterland... all about threshold population, range, rank order, frequency of demand etc.)

It might say urban problems in which case you'd have to discuss 2:
    Urban sprawl could be one and for the other problem you could discuss traffic congestion

How the fucck do you contrast activities in a region? I can't believe our Teacher never did it with us :mad:

Like my factors that influence the activities (Agriculture in Europe) are different (Climate and Soils, Population and Transport) vs. (Relief and Land Ownership systems)

Help anyone please? I'm so confused.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

How the fucck do you contrast activities in a region? I can't believe our Teacher never did it with us :mad:

Like my factors that influence the activities (Agriculture in Europe) are different (Climate and Soils, Population and Transport) vs. (Relief and Land Ownership systems)

Help anyone please? I'm so confused.. :(

This is exactly what I don't get, I think I'm just gonna write out shorter versions of the two answers seperately even though thats not really contrasting :/:(

You'll need 15 SRPs, so with your intro spiel you'll probably need max. 13. Thats about 6 on each. I'll be doing Paris and Mezzogiorno, so you could talk about climate for 3 SRPs each. That leaves 6 needed, 3 each. If you just say, relief in mezzo hinders it, while soils in Paris help ag. you'll be able to easily get 15 SRPs.

Maybe if you say climate and physical factors hinder in Mezzo but help Paris. Then you can do climate, and then relief in Mezzo and soils in Paris under physical heading.

Just made that up there, and I'll stick with it. If that doesnt work, then I'm fecked! But I dont see why it shouldnt work.

Hayezer wrote: »
    This is exactly what I don't get, I think I'm just gonna write out shorter versions of the two answers seperately even though thats not really contrasting :/:(

Don't do that! Someone I know did that in their mock and got zero marks! You'd have to make at least 2 clear contrasts and then discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

If a contrast question came up for regional could you sort of write it like the way you'd do the comparative in English except you're doing geography and just stating the differences between the activities in the paragraphs like switching from one to the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Guys, for regions of industrial decline, can you talk about the region's decline and its subsequent redevelopment? Really really confused. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Would doing culture in just SW USA be a bad idea. So far they've only asked it in a 'Sub Con region' OR 'any region'

• Advertisement

CiaranK wrote: »
    Would doing culture in just SW USA be a bad idea. So far they've only asked it in a 'Sub Con region' OR 'any region'

I've only done culture in SW USA, have a quick look over the Gaeltacht though it's not that hard!
    I just noticed, I've only got primary activities in Paris and Mezz. Is everyone doing Secondary and Tertiary aswell? I've got primary,sec,tertiary on SW USA, just hoping that comes up really!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

I've only done culture in SW USA, have a quick look over the Gaeltacht though it's not that hard!
    I just noticed, I've only got primary activities in Paris and Mezz. Is everyone doing Secondary and Tertiary aswell? I've got primary,sec,tertiary on SW USA, just hoping that comes up really!

I've only done:

Culture
    Compare/contrast activites (Paris and Mezz, Agriculture)
    Primary/Secondary - European region
    Tertiary - Paris

I'm gonna do an Irish one too today

Another quick question, if the question is Compare and Contrast activities in a region, would that mean more than just agriculture cause I have about 16/17 SRPs on Climate/Physical factors affecting agriculture in the Paris/Mezz. I don't know what another activity could be?

CiaranK wrote: »
    I've only done:

Culture
    Compare/contrast activites (Paris and Mezz, Agriculture)
    Primary/Secondary - European region
    Tertiary - Paris

I'm gonna do an Irish one too today

Another quick question, if the question is Compare and Contrast activities in a region, would that mean more than just agriculture cause I have about 16/17 SRPs on Climate/Physical factors affecting agriculture in the Paris/Mezz. I don't know what another activity could be?

In Mezz you could talk about forestry and in Paris you could talk about viticulture...dunno how you could contrast them though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Munster07

Okay..I know it wasn't the smartest thing to leave it till the last minute to study geography..but can anyone help me with what to learn for Human? I'm totally lost! :( HELP!

Munster07 wrote: »
    Okay..I know it wasn't the smartest thing to leave it till the last minute to study geography..but can anyone help me with what to learn for Human? I'm totally lost! :( HELP!

I really don't have any predictions for this section but likely topics are:
    • Cause & Effect of Overpopulation or 2 Effects
    • Impact of Migration on Donor & Reciever
    • Changes in Function of Urban Area over time
    • Christaller's Central Place Theory
    • Identify 3 types of RURAL or HISTORICs settlement on OS Map
    • Urban Land Use Theories
    • 2 Developed World Urban Problems

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

Changes in Function of Urban Area over time

Could anyone help me with this question. I know you could do the 02 arena for it but what else could you do. By the way i only have the old Exam skills book and this answer isnt in it! PLEASE HELP!!

bobjimmy wrote: »
    Changes in Function of Urban Area over time

Could anyone help me with this question. I know you could do the 02 arena for it but what else could you do. By the way i only have the old Exam skills book and this answer isnt in it! PLEASE HELP!!

Do you have "Today's World" or "Horizons" textbook?
    They both do out a very good case study on how the functions of Galway City changed over time! i.e. From defensive function and port function in medieval times to educational function and industrial function nowadays.
    In "Horizons 2" it's on page 51 and in "Today's World 3" it's on page 83.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Geographyhater

Guys which year should i do a full paper on??

I will cry a tear of happiness if plant and animal adaptations to biome comes up

• Advertisement

I will cry a tear of happiness if plant and animal adaptations to biome comes up
    omg me too.. It's the only one i'm comfortable writing about. It has to come up, doesn't it?

Advertisement