Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography essays MEGATHREAD!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

If all ive learnt for biome is characteristics i can use this for how climate has effected a biome?

I still laugh every time I see that name, and your posts are always about geography. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Lads, I just wrote out the last geography essay I need. Now all I have to do is read over my notes in the days before the exam and that is all I'm doing.

I'm so happy it's unreal. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Geographyhater

Martin_94 wrote: »
    If all ive learnt for biome is characteristics i can use this for how climate has effected a biome?

I still laugh every time I see that name, and your posts are always about geography. :)
    Its the only subject i hate so boring!! Oh and ordinary irish terrible subjects lol

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

What geo-ecology essays are people doing? :)
    For me, think Ill learn of animal+plant adaptions to a biome, human activities with soils, and the processes that form brown earth soils.
    anything else recommended?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

What geo-ecology essays are people doing? :)
    For me, think Ill learn of animal+plant adaptions to a biome, human activities with soils, and the processes that form brown earth soils.
    anything else recommended?

I'm doing:

Plants/Animals adapt to Soil/Climate of a Biome
    Human Interaction with Biomes
    Human Interaction with Soil
    Composition of Soil

Might do a Characteristics of soil to so I'll be 100% covered

• Advertisement

How did you folks learn the essays. Just by reading them?

Personally I wrote them out in SRP bullet point form/Key words form taking it from the essay
    Wrote it out again looking at the SRPs
    Wrote it again half looking at it
    Wrote it out a 4th time from memory and then it's in my head and learned.
    Then later on in the day or before I do anything else the next day try write it out again. nearly every time I'll have it down by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

CiaranK wrote: »

Personally I wrote them out in SRP bullet point form/Key words form taking it from the essay
    Then later on in the day or before I do anything else the next day try write it out again. nearly every time I'll have it down by then.

sounds monotouous! o: I just write out the SRP's in bullet points, and spend 30-40 minutes learning the essay off, point by point. Then I take a break, come back and test myself by writing out the easy in full and see if i can get it done in the time allocated. Then I finally make a short flashcard of the SRP's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I read it then after read each line and try and remember it and recite the whole thing in my head until I get it right and then just read over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Aomame

I'm worrying now, our teacher didn't do soils with us! Only essays I can do are human interation with biome and plant/animal adaptations to biome. I looked through the past few years and I would have been able to answer at least one per year is this enough? Also, I don't have the time to write out all my essays again! Just been reading them.... Ever time I come on here I freak myself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

I read it then after read each line and try and remember it and recite the whole thing in my head until I get it right and then just read over it.

Same! How do people have time to write them all out? I learn it line by line too, constantly reciting what I've learned off so far in my head.. mentally testing myself!
    Personally I never understood why people write out notes in any subject. I guess some people actually learn by writing out... that would be handy but time consuming!

On to another topic... Does anyone else have a feeling something along the lines of "how one urban theoretical model developed and expanded on another" will come up in human geog? (i.e. Sector model developed the concentric zone model to take into account transport routes...)

I hope human geog Qs are very theoretical e.g. Urban theories, Christaller, effects of overpopulation, migration... and not very OS MAP/ PHOTO orientated! Last years paper focused so much on OS map so hopefully this year it'll be mostly theoretical (though I don't mind historical settlement)

• Advertisement

Geo10 wrote: »
    Same! How do people have time to write them all out? I learn it line by line too, constantly reciting what I've learned off so far in my head.. mentally testing myself!
    Personally I never understood why people write out notes in any subject. I guess some people actually learn by writing out... that would be handy but time consuming!

On to another topic... Does anyone else have a feeling something along the lines of "how one urban theoretical model developed and expanded on another" will come up in human geog? (i.e. Sector model developed the concentric zone model to take into account transport routes...)

I hope human geog Qs are very theoretical e.g. Urban theories, Christaller, effects of overpopulation, migration... and not very OS MAP/ PHOTO orientated! Last years paper focused so much on OS map so hopefully this year it'll be mostly theoretical (though I don't mind historical settlement)

I don't mind human to much. I've all the answers from the srp book I did a revision course for a week and that guy was teaching there so I have the notes for that section. The answers are very long. I have them all written into shorter notes.
    I really hope a historical settlement or settlements comes up. I need to look over historical on my last years notes or book though. Hopefully a good question is after it. Yeah that question about a specific model it just said one in any city on last years leaving.

I used to write them up in notes and keep writing them over again but it was getting far too time consuming. I remember last year I was just writing and I didn't remember much. Then I remember after this year before I've gone into exams I've quickly looked over something to memorise and then I usually remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Right. I don't know a lot of Geography, not enough for an A1 anyway which I need. I think i'll just take the Physical/Human and 2 Option essays today and make sure I know them. If I **** up the Regional, there's nothing I can do. I have to prioritise. I still have to revise 5 poets, 8 Hamlet Essays, 2 Comparative Modes, and Paper I for English. Still haven't gotten a chance to look at Maths either.. I'm actually ****ed..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Right. I don't know a lot of Geography, not enough for an A1 anyway which I need. I think i'll just take the Physical/Human and 2 Option essays today and make sure I know them. If I **** up the Regional, there's nothing I can do. I have to prioritise. I still have to revise 5 poets, 8 Hamlet Essays, 2 Comparative Modes, and Paper I for English. Still haven't gotten a chance to look at Maths either.. I'm actually ****ed..

Yeah I am going to spend 4 hours doing Geography today and an hour of Maths..Some Paper 2 and look over my essays :/

Didn't the human biome and the human(economic) soils come up last year? isit safe to avoid those or possibly they'll reword the biome calling it the economic biome. The only biome which didn't come up was the plant and animals adaption to biomes. I still need to learn the human biome. I'll learn it just incase it shows up again.

Just looking through thr sample papers. Isit just me or do the questions seem harder?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

In 2007 Human Interaction came up like this:

Discuss how one of the following could impact on the landscape:
    • Deforestation
    • Coastal management
    • Flood control

If this did come up again could you talk about Biomes? As in how deforestation affects the biomes we've studied for Geoecology? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 aoife..x

i think that i am only going to study the biome and leave out soils...or is that a bit too risky!! i have a feeling human interaction with the biome will be up this year?

In 2007 Human Interaction came up like this:

Discuss how one of the following could impact on the landscape:
    • Deforestation
    • Coastal management
    • Flood control

If this did come up again could you talk about Biomes? As in how deforestation affects the biomes we've studied for Geoecology? :confused:

Was this in physical?

It would be hard to get a 30 marker out of just deforestation. If it was not specified as just Deforestation or just one activity. You could do Mass Movement: Overgrazing, overcropping and Deforestation in the Sahel. That would be 5srps on each.

For just the one you could do flood control and talk about the Rhine or the Mississippi River

Was this in physical?

It would be hard to get a 30 marker out of just deforestation. If it was not specified as just Deforestation or just one activity. You could do Mass Movement: Overgrazing, overcropping and Deforestation in the Sahel. That would be 5srps on each.

For just the one you could do flood control and talk about the Rhine or the Mississippi River

Ah, I see. Yeah, that sounds right! Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Would people think the animal and plant adaptations answer in Sue Honans book is full marks? In plant adaptatons to soil she seems to sorta repeat herself in the last paragraph :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭treely

Dont doubt Sue. She is the reason anyone gets an A1.

Hayezer wrote: »
    Would people think the animal and plant adaptations answer in Sue Honans book is full marks? In plant adaptatons to soil she seems to sorta repeat herself in the last paragraph :confused:

If you're worried then stick in a few SRPs from your own Geog book or something? Just in case. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Literally I'd say about 90% of the country use the book :L If I ever had to recheck Geography I'd be like "ITS FULL MARKS IN SUES BOOK, YOUR WRONG"

Hayezer wrote: »

Thats the essay I've learnt off so hopefully it's fine. If it's in the book I assume thats the full marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Just looking through thr sample papers. Isit just me or do the questions seem harder?

They are because they were put together by Edco before any official exam papers came out so they had not much info on the style/ type of questions going to be asked! For example "Examine the effect of the interaction of economic, political and cultural activities in Ireland" would never come up in the real thing! Nor would "examine 2 ways in which Ireland's NDP tries to achieve a sustainable type of development" or "critically examine Ireland's immigration policy"... at least I hope not!!! :eek:

Geo10 wrote: »
    They are because they were put together by Edco before any official exam papers came out so they had not much info on the style/ type of questions going to be asked! For example "Examine the effect of the interaction of economic, political and cultural activities in Ireland" would never come up in the real thing! Nor would "examine 2 ways in which Ireland's NDP tries to achieve a sustainable type of development" or "critically examine Ireland's immigration policy"... at least I hope not!!! :eek:

They also had examine two landforms for a 30 mark question . I'd have thought it'd be too long to write about the two. The regional samples were terrible. I started to think earlier maybe they're questions which are set to appear in the future. I remember last years was kind of similar to the sample with the isostatic processes question.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭siobhan93

What question could they ask on mutiple nuclei theory? Its the only one out the theories that ive done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

siobhan93 wrote: »
    What question could they ask on mutiple nuclei theory? Its the only one out the theories that ive done!!

Its the only one ive donne aswell.
    They wont ask for a specific theory unless its the Central place theroy.
    They just ask you on a settlement theory that you have studied and to relate it to an urban area you have studied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Anyone know if they are strict on you having correct statistics? I know I will forgot some for certain answers so might try and make them up if I can :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Scarlett Scout

Would these be enough for geo-ecology?
    • Characteristics of a Biome
    • Adaptions to Soil/Climate-Biome
    • Human-Soil
    • Brown Earth Soil(contrast with Latozols):D

Advertisement