Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography essays MEGATHREAD!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Anyone got a similar list for the economic elective? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Anyone got a similar list for the economic elective? :)

It's worth looking in the front of the exam papers under the economic elective part. I completely overlooked it before , it's quite useful. Thats where I got the list for the human elective :).

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Geographyhater

Any essays in particular for this year do you know ?

Overpopulation I'd say would be a good one to know and cause/effects of it.
    Land use theories, urban growth. They should all be in the Sue Honan book (I have the old version though)

I'm not quite sure about the rest , just make sure to know at least all of those and the human elective list. An know them well, I think settlement comes up quite a bit too . I couldn't really say what might come up this year an it's not really worth taking the risk, if you just make sure to be able to cover that in the list . Theres questions related to those in the front of the exam papers if you look under the human elective part.

Thanks you seem like you know your geography ! Me on the other hand im not so good. physical and geoecology i got undercontrol. Its just the elective and regional im having problems! I guess ill just have to learn a few essays off the sue honan book.

Have you got any advice studying geography or just memorise certain essays off the sue honan book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Thanks you seem like you know your geography ! Me on the other hand im not so good. physical and geoecology i got undercontrol. Its just the elective and regional im having problems! I guess ill just have to learn a few essays off the sue honan book.

Have you got any advice studying geography or just memorise certain essays off the sue honan book

I'm just making sure I have everything covered. I've looked at the front of the exam papers where it what we should know in the student essential part.
    I'm just learning sample answers really most is in the sue honan book occasionally it isn't and i just use my book then get my teacher to correct it then learn it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Inimitable

I am not sure how to answer long questions in Geography. Some of the terminology confuses me especially when they as you to "Discuss" things! :confused:

Where do you begin to answer a question like that????

Could someone give me help????

Also, what are SRP's and how do you make/find them?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

make your point,elaborate your point,conclude your point.

Yeah, but when answering lets say a 30mk question at higher level and you are required to give 15 SRP's minimum would I have to repeat that process 15 times?

You see I am unsure as to what exactly an SRP is?

Anyone got any tips???? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 35 17Dan21

For my essays I cut an A4 page in half and write summary notes of different essays. It doesn't take long to do and they can be learned quite quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mr Teacha

<snip>

No advertising on thread, your site is already in the useful links thread, please leave it at that - Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Am I writing too much?
    All my essays are at least 4 pages long, but they're the ones my teacher gave me.
    I have at least 40 srps in all of them, but then someone on here (cant remember who) said you dont need 40 srps?
    I can hardly get my essays written in the time limit.
    Help. Confused.

Whaaat, you need 24 srps!
    Four headings = 6 under each; 3 headings = 8 under each.
    No need for 40 :)

Whaaat, you need 24 srps!
    Four headings = 6 under each; 3 headings = 8 under each.
    No need for 40 :)

Im still kinda confused.
    So if I only need 6 srps under each heading where do all the other marks get made up?

4 marks go for the actual heading itself, so thats 12 if you use 3, or 16 if you use 4.

If you use 4, you get 4 more marks under each for Overall Coherence, i.e. how well you've answered it. Its like getting marks for getting marks! If you use 3 headings you get 7/7/6 under the three headings.

To be honest I'm not 100% sure how they work because my teacher doesnt give me OC marks but he said that when I pointed it out to him haha, but I guarantee thats how its done. If you look at the marking scheme its pretty simple, it has two columns; one for 3 headings and one for 4, then it says "Identifying aspect: 4 marks; 6 x SRPs; Overall Coherence: 4 marks" or something similar :)

I get it now.
    I went over my mock and I had like 20 extra marks. :o
    Thats not including 16 for coherence hah.
    So although my examiner was VERY linent I think I can cut down a good bit.
    I'll have to, especially since I didnt have time for a full 30 marker.
    Just out of interest, did you get full marks using that marking scheme in your mock?

Haha :') Plenty there! :)
    I got 68/80 on "The formation of mid-latitude depressions and the weather patterns associated with them" but I'd been expecting to be able to use Anti-cyclones as a fourth heading, but I couldnt. I probably should've left it at 3 but like I said, my teacher doesnt do the OC marks so I'd have automatically lost 20 marks but I think I should've gotten 72-76 :) What'd you get in your mock one?

Oh and yeah, definitely dont leave out things to finish other questions, its always better to get everything attempted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Scarlett Scout

just thought I'd mention that in my mock the correcter wrote on it saying not to but headings on the pages just use paragraphs - it's meant to be an essay style Q.

Also make sure to put and intro. and conclusion on it

by having heading and no conclusion I lost 6 coherence marks :pac:

You're definitely supposed to put headings in. No question about it. My teacher even showed us a sample answer for the option we do that he got at a conference, it was the one they all marked to ensure they were marking the same way, and it had headings. Sure 4 marks goes for them, it says it in the marking scheme. :eek:

Intro/conclusion I'm not so sure of. My teacher tells me all the OC marks go for them which cant be true, and the marking scheme doesnt mention them, but I suppose theyre no harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

DEFINITELY do Headings. You get 4 Marks for every heading you clearly write down and then discuss (maximum of 4 headings however). I got 74/80 in my Soil question in the Mock 'Discuss the composition and characteristics of one soil type you have studied'.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Drafty122

what soil Q does anybody think will come up pls ?

• Advertisement

i also thought headings were needed

The examiner has an arrow coming out from the headings saying must be essay style answer : use paragraphs (unless it was because the headings were in different colour pen:confused: )

My teacher makes us use headings in every section, especially the option. I think 99.9% of examiners will be okay with it being in a different pen colour...in fact I'd say its what they look for o_O

My teacher makes us use headings in every section, especially the option. I think 99.9% of examiners will be okay with it being in a different pen colour...in fact I'd say its what they look for o_O

Maybe it was just a fussy marker:rolleyes:
    The marker also suggested that I draw a quick sketch map of the world and show on it where the biome I have studied is :eek:everyone ever done that?or been recommended to do that?:confused:

Ehhhhh I wouldnt be arsed, but thats because I can't draw :L In the option we did we had a question to do on examing a hot desert climate, so I guess it was similar enough to the biome in Geoecology, and my teacher told us to draw a map and mark in hot deserts. It might get you a mark or two if done properly but mine looked like pieces of ham :o Its no harm but you can definitely leave it out :)

Ehhhhh I wouldnt be arsed, but thats because I can't draw :L In the option we did we had a question to do on examing a hot desert climate, so I guess it was similar enough to the biome in Geoecology, and my teacher told us to draw a map and mark in hot deserts. It might get you a mark or two if done properly but mine looked like pieces of ham :o Its no harm but you can definitely leave it out :)

Really beginning to wonder about my geo. marker :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭treely

Maybe it was just a fussy marker:rolleyes:
    The marker also suggested that I draw a quick sketch map of the world and show on it where the biome I have studied is :eek:everyone ever done that?or been recommended to do that?:confused:

Thats the first Ive ever heard of anyone doing that! No people from other schools Ive talked to have ever said that. Dont bother I'd say. It would take too much time, just for 2, maybe max. 4 marks.

Haha :') Plenty there! :)
    I got 68/80 on "The formation of mid-latitude depressions and the weather patterns associated with them" but I'd been expecting to be able to use Anti-cyclones as a fourth heading, but I couldnt. I probably should've left it at 3 but like I said, my teacher doesnt do the OC marks so I'd have automatically lost 20 marks but I think I should've gotten 72-76 :) What'd you get in your mock one?

Oh and yeah, definitely dont leave out things to finish other questions, its always better to get everything attempted :)

I got 80, but like I sad I had waaaay too much.
    Yeah my teacher said that to me too, way easier to pick up more marks starting a new question.
    Just wondering, could I like do one headng, leave a few lines incase I have time to fill in a few extra srps and go on to the next? Or would that just look bad?
    I want to follow the marking scheme and get everything done but Im afraid I wont get my 80 marks from the mock. :/ hah

Of course :) All the info is there like, I often do that on the 30 mark ones between headings :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22 callistofalk

I can't fit the essays into the time limit. Its absolutly ridiculous asking us to. 2-3 page essay in 11 minutes? I don't think so Bobo

• Advertisement

Of course :) All the info is there like, I often do that on the 30 mark ones between headings :P

I'd say it'd be okay for the 30 markers, but Im just worried I'll lose coherence marks in the 80 markers? :/

Advertisement