Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography essays MEGATHREAD!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Hayezer wrote: »
    Woa threads just got moved I'm confused D:

Just merged some threads to try keep the majority of geography stuff together! Will edit in quoted posts to make more sense of it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

I'm doing the following (mighn't be a smart idea, i've no time left though)
    • Ireland- Teritary Activites, Growth of Dublin
    • Paris- Primary, Teritary
    • Mezzogiorno- Primary
    • SW USA- Primary, Secondary, Teritary, Growth of Region
    • Culture- SW USA
    • 2 Implications of EU Expansion

Ok I think I'm gonna go with this list seeing as I've only got Primary for Paris and Mezz and Tertiary for BMW and GDA done :/. I wish Geography would just die like

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

This is not going to be helpful but I was about to post the same thing. I don't understand the whole contrast thing. More than likely we'll get Contrast Agriculture in 2 European Regions this year as Primary Activities have never come up for European Regions! I just don't know how to do it though! The factors I talk about for Paris are:
    • Climate
    • Drainage
    And for the Mezzogiorno, I talk about:
    • Relief
    • Land Ownerships systems
    Like how do you contrast things like that?
    My teacher lets us do "Physical factors" and "Human factors" as two factors :confused:
    Urban area in continental/sub-continental....do you mean like the growth of a region? My heads crying from all this geography :( Plan on doing all regional today, might just die
    Growth of a city, e.g. mine is San Francisco :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Just out of curiosity how many essays can ye learn in say 2 hours?:confused:
    I just feel overloaded with stuff though I find myself getting better at remembering stuff :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

David1994 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity how many essays can ye learn in say 2 hours?:confused:
    I just feel overloaded with stuff though I find myself getting better at remembering stuff :P

I'd say it depends on how quickly you remember each essay. i'd say maybe 3/4 at the most like if you're trying to learn it word from word without writing it out. I still have loads of geography I have about 7 geoecology essays and the rest of the human elective.

• Advertisement

I'd say it depends on how quickly you remember each essay. i'd say maybe 3/4 at the most like if you're trying to learn it word from word without writing it out. I still have loads of geography I have about 7 geoecology essays and the rest of the human elective.

On geoecolody, what essays do you have prepared/predict? We only ever did the animals/plants in the biome and human interaction with the biome :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

How much would you be expected to write for a 30m question?

On geoecolody, what essays do you have prepared/predict? We only ever did the animals/plants in the biome and human interaction with the biome :/

I have
    Soils
    -Natural processes influencing soil formation
    -Factors influencing soil characteristics
    -Composition and characteristics of soils
    - Human influence on soils

Biomes
    - Characteristics of a biome
    - Plants and animals adapt to biomes
    - Human influence on biomes

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MartieG

I have
    Soils

Biomes
    - Human influence on biomes[/QUOTE

IF you just learn the biome section, you are guaranteed a question, right?? So why would you learn soils AND biome??

MartieG wrote: »
    I have
    Soils

Biomes
    - Human influence on biomes[/QUOTE

IF you just learn the biome section, you are guaranteed a question, right?? So why would you learn soils AND biome??

I think someone was saying there was one year that biomes didn't come up.
    I'll do biomes in more detail just incase the question happens to be different and to have choice .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 MartieG

MartieG wrote: »

I think someone was saying there was one year that biomes didn't come up.
    I'll do biomes in more detail just incase the question happens to be different and to have choice .

Biome has always come up in some form. This year i reckon 2 soil questions and 1 biome..

Anybody know where I should start with regional, haven't got a clue where to start

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Tuubbeess

Paris basin !! Dublin region and human interaction with rock cycle ( oil and gas exploration )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

For regional, what I think is likely:

• IRISH REGION: *Tertiary*
    • EU REGION: *Primary*
    • SUB CONTINENTAL: * Secondary*
    • URBAN REGION: *Sub Continental*
    • CULTURAL REGION: *Irish*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Geo10 wrote: »
    For regional, what I think is likely:

• IRISH REGION: *Tertiary*
    • EU REGION: *Primary*
    • SUB CONTINENTAL: * Secondary*
    • URBAN REGION: *Sub Continental*
    • CULTURAL REGION: *Irish*
    You know the way in 2007 and 2006 they asked Culture in a specific region (The SW USA). Could they do that again? I've only learnt Culture in SW USA and haven't a notion of Europe/Ireland :/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Well they've asked (albeit in the sample paper) "deep cultural divisons", which is Belgium or NI and no other region really, so they could easily. Or "boundaries change over time" which is the Gaeltacht or Berlin (the wall etc, didnt know it was on the course til about a month ago so no way was I learning it), but of course you can avoid those with all the choice anyway so meh :L

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

For the geoecology option, which essays is everyone studying for it? I've only got three learned and I'm kind of panicking now. :')

I have absolutely NO idea what to learn for Human!! I hate the general waffly questions about reasons why a place has a low pop density or why a region developed in a place using the OS maps!! Everything seems likely to come up! Usually there's some really nice Qs like a cause and effect of overpopulation or effect of migration on donor and host... But they'te often stuck in with an awful OS map Q or some really weird Q like "show how this town acts as a central place using evidence from map and photo"
    Anyone have any good predictions?? :confused:
    This is the section where they seem to ask you anything and not follow some pattern of set questions.

For the geoecology option, which essays is everyone studying for it? I've only got three learned and I'm kind of panicking now. :')

I'm doing 3 as well! :)
    • characteristics of brown earth soils
    • characteristics of hot desert biome (which I can adapt to a Q on plant and animal adaptations in a biome or influence of climate on biomes characteristics)
    • human activity impact on soils

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

-Human interactions with a biome
    -Human interactions with a soil
    -Plant and animal adaptions in a biome
    -Processes affecting soil type

Went through all of the geoecology questions that have come up since the new course started in 2006, with those four I was covered for every year, and would have had a choice of two questions in most years. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Thanks! I'm gonna learn Human Interaction with Soils too and hopefully I'll be covered! :)

• Advertisement

I wish I was Sue Honan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Geo10 wrote: »
    I have absolutely NO idea what to learn for Human!! I hate the general waffly questions about reasons why a place has a low pop density or why a region developed in a place using the OS maps!! Everything seems likely to come up! Usually there's some really nice Qs like a cause and effect of overpopulation or effect of migration on donor and host... But they'te often stuck in with an awful OS map Q or some really weird Q like "show how this town acts as a central place using evidence from map and photo"
    Anyone have any good predictions?? :confused:
    This is the section where they seem to ask you anything and not follow some pattern of set questions.

Overpopulation normally comes up I think :) This is what I am studying for human elective:
    • Overpopulation
    • Migration changes/Effects of migration
    • Land use zones
    • Patterns of settlement(Knowing the types of settlement)
    • Sector model-Hoyt
    • Urban problems

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

David1994 wrote: »
    Overpopulation normally comes up I think :) This is what I am studying for human elective:
    • Overpopulation
    • Migration changes/Effects of migration
    • Land use zones
    • Patterns of settlement(Knowing the types of settlement)
    • Sector model-Hoyt
    • Urban problems
    Hoyt came up last year though! Development of land use zones (Burgess concentric zone model) has never been asked! I think they asked the Hoyt sector model last year!

Saw a question there, haven't a notion how to answer it:

2009 Q.11 (B)

'With reference to one example you have studied, examine the effectiveness of urban planning strategies in dealing with urban problems'

Went onto e-xamit.ie and the answer is shíte. Looked at the marking scheme and they were looking for 2 projects to improve problems in an urban area and if you didn't comment of the effectiveness of it you got 0 marks! Was a particulary strange one!

I'm personally hoping for:

-Effects of Overpopulation
    -Central Place Theory (no explaining, just write down the theory and criticisms)
    -Rural/Historic Settlement Patters <3 these
    -Changing land use
    -Changing urban functions

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭treely

****ing geography course is so ****e. I love all the physical part and love learning about it, but the test is balls. Its purely based on rote learning a billion essays and vomitting them all over the page. I started 5th year with geography as my favourite subject from Junior Cert, but now I'm fed up of it and couldnt be bothered with it anymore. I'd much rather study accounting, maths or physics! Much more enjoyable.

/rant

-Human interactions with a biome
    -Human interactions with a soil
    -Plant and animal adaptions in a biome
    -Processes affecting soil type

Went through all of the geoecology questions that have come up since the new course started in 2006, with those four I was covered for every year, and would have had a choice of two questions in most years. :cool:

Processess affecting soil type cam up last year, it wouldn't be likely to come up again would it?

Hoyt came up last year though! Development of land use zones (Burgess concentric zone model) has never been asked! I think they asked the Hoyt sector model last year!

Saw a question there, haven't a notion how to answer it:

2009 Q.11 (B)

'With reference to one example you have studied, examine the effectiveness of urban planning strategies in dealing with urban problems'

Went onto e-xamit.ie and the answer is shíte. Looked at the marking scheme and they were looking for 2 projects to improve problems in an urban area and if you didn't comment of the effectiveness of it you got 0 marks! Was a particulary strange one!

I'm personally hoping for:

-Effects of Overpopulation
    -Central Place Theory (no explaining, just write down the theory and criticisms)
    -Rural/Historic Settlement Patters <3 these
    -Changing land use
    -Changing urban functions

Not sure, think you'd write about Ballymun and Urban Planning or something, did it months ago I think. Haven't even glanced at elective yet :/ only just have my physical and regional answers out :(

Processess affecting soil type cam up last year, it wouldn't be likely to come up again would it?

No, not likely at all. It seems like characteristics of a soil type is due to come up. I just hate the characteristic essays for both the biome and soils and I also hate the factors essays, so I learned everything else. :o It's seems likely that out of my list I'll end up doing a question on human activities impacting on soils.

No, not likely at all. It seems like characteristics of a soil type is due to come up. I just hate the characteristic essays for both the biome and soils and I also hate the factors essays, so I learned everything else. :o It's seems likely that out of my list I'll end up doing a question on human activities impacting on soils.

So dyou think I'd get away with
    • Human Interaction with soil
    • Plant and animal adaptations
    • Characteristic of a soil
    Dont think I'd be able to learn anymore tbh!

So dyou think I'd get away with
    • Human Interaction with soil
    • Plant and animal adaptations
    • Characteristic of a soil
    Dont think I'd be able to learn anymore tbh!

I'd say you'd most likely be okay with that. If characteristics of a biome comes up again and you are stuck just mention your plant and animal adaptions and then do a small paragraph and climate too and you're sorted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Manic2

Ok for the landform development part!

Most people seem to be doing a waterfall/meander, but would it be ok to learn an Ox bow lake? Like I understand if they ask you to do it from the map and it's not there I'm screwed but it would count for erosion and deposition wouldn't it?

:)

Advertisement