Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography essays MEGATHREAD!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Manic2 wrote: »
    Ok for the landform development part!

Most people seem to be doing a waterfall/meander, but would it be ok to learn an Ox bow lake? Like I understand if they ask you to do it from the map and it's not there I'm screwed but it would count for erosion and deposition wouldn't it?

:)

If you do learn ox-bow lake do you not have to basically explain meanders in the answer anyway?

It's a little risky if it's not on the map, but in the end it's up to you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

In the human section I think historical settlements always comes I had a look at the papers the other day it seems to come up a lot.

I'm just after remembering I didn't look up urban renewal of Ballymun(I think that was it) I'm not sure if you can use the city centre docklands on that question and write about how it changed over the years . I just wanted to know my teacher hasn't gone through the human section and I remember the year before we covered Ballymun the urban renewal? anyone know :).

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Geographyhater

Gotten physical and regional learnt ! Now to go through all of human elective and half of geoecology .. Wbu guys much more to learn??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Gotten physical and regional learnt ! Now to go through all of human elective and half of geoecology .. Wbu guys much more to learn??

Still have half regional and all human to learn FROM SCRATCH! :(:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

N.B. for Human Elective ~ Urban Problems in Developed world hasn't been up since 2008!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Ok so we need a comprehensive elective list :L :L

• Overpopulation (Came up last year though?)
    • Historical settlement

and thats all I know :LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

Geo10 wrote: »

Still have half regional and all human to learn FROM SCRATCH! :(:eek:
    Ha ur like me leaving it to the last week!! Only cse i hate the subject and dont like studying it..

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

What are we meant to learn for human interaction with a biome? I learnt the answer in Exam Skills but that covers two biomes and sometimes they only ask for one which means I couldn't use that answer at all. I have the Today's World geography book but I think the notes for human interaction are useless to be honest. Could I get away with just learning the answer in Exam Skills?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

Say if we were asked again for a contrasting regional question again this year, how would you go about answering it? Would you just write out your answer for each region or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rkeano5

Ha ur like me leaving it to the last week!! Only cse i hate the subject and dont like studying it..

Cool username bro..:cool:

• Advertisement

rkeano5 wrote: »

Cool username bro..:cool:
    Thanks! It speaks the truth!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Quick question, does anyone have a sample answer for meanders? I have one written up but I'm worried that I haven't got enough SRP's in it. :/

Ok, Plant and Animal Adaptations to the Soil/Climatic Conditions of the Biome HAS TO come up this year! Please god let it come up.. It's only been up once, ever (2007) and has never come up since! 4 years of a gap is too long! They have to ask some Biome Question, they asked Characterisics/Human interference last year, what else can they possibly ask about Biomes?

PLANTS AND ANIMAL ADAPTATIONS!! PLEASE <3

Thanks SEC,

PictureFrame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Ok, Plant and Animal Adaptations to the Soil/Climatic Conditions of the Biome HAS TO come up this year! Please god let it come up.. It's only been up once, ever (2007) and has never come up since! 4 years of a gap is too long! They have to ask some Biome Question, they asked Characterisics/Human interference last year, what else can they possibly ask about Biomes?

PLANTS AND ANIMAL ADAPTATIONS!! PLEASE <3

Thanks SEC,

PictureFrame

Human alterations on a biome me thinks (hopes).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Plant and animal adaptions in a biome, human interaction with a soil, human interaction with a biome.

C'MON, pls

Plant and animal adaptations are the easiest aswell I'd think, just listing out all the different animals etc. Actually more interesting than the other ones aswell :D.
    Anyone have any human elective pointers?

Martin_94 wrote: »
    Human affects me thinks (hopes).
    They asked that last year didn't they? Not saying it won't come up or anything but I think it did!

Can anyone help me with a quick Soil Question?

In 2010 they asked about 'Characteristics of a Soil' which is grand. 4 Aspects @ 20 marks each (Texture, Humus Content, pH value and Colour)

But in 2007 they asked 'Composition and characteristics of a Soil'. How do you structure an answer for this? Do you do a little heading at the start re: Composition and then when you're finished do your 4 characteristics or what?

I just finished learning how plants and animals adapt to the tropical rainforest biome :). I really want this question up, I wanted it to come up last year but it didn't maybe it was waiting for this year :).
    I have characteristics done next up is the human impact.

Would I be safe with those three or should I learn a couple soil essays just to be safe?
    Which biome are you's doing?

Just plant/animal adaptations! It's so handy! It has to come up this year! Other than that i'm doing Composition/Characteristics of a Soil, Human Interference with Soil and Factors influencing Soil characteristics (although I haven't learnt the last 2 and still have all of regional and some physical to study!)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Just plant/animal adaptations! It's so handy! It has to come up this year! Other than that i'm doing Composition/Characteristics of a Soil, Human Interference with Soil and Factors influencing Soil characteristics (although I haven't learnt the last 2 and still have all of regional and some physical to study!)

For the plant/animal adaptations question would you just describe how both have adapted to climate and soils yeah?

• Advertisement

They asked that last year didn't they? Not saying it won't come up or anything but I think it did!

Can anyone help me with a quick Soil Question?

In 2010 they asked about 'Characteristics of a Soil' which is grand. 4 Aspects @ 20 marks each (Texture, Humus Content, pH value and Colour)

But in 2007 they asked 'Composition and characteristics of a Soil'. How do you structure an answer for this? Do you do a little heading at the start re: Composition and then when you're finished do your 4 characteristics or what?

I have a essay done for that it's in the exam skills.
    For the composition paragraph talk about the materials the soils contains.
    So mineral matter, air and water , living things and humus.

Then the characteristics . After then the variations of brown soils. The acidic , shallow and podzolised soils.

Boeing777 wrote: »
    For the plant/animal adaptations question would you just describe how both have adapted to climate and soils yeah?

SUE HONAN

Well at least 1 aspect has to relate to climate and 1 to soil. My answer has:

-Animal adaptations to climate + soil
    -Plant adaptations to soil
    -Plant adaptations to climate

I have most of those to learn too plus all of the human elective. I'm literally memorising them word from word. This is the only way that works for me I've stopped writing them out. I hope I don't get confused or mixed up on the day memorising so many things.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Hayezer wrote: »
    SUE HONAN

It's amazing how just two words mean so much! :pac:

I have most of those to learn too plus all of the human elective. I'm literally memorising them word from word. This is the only way that works for me I've stopped writing them out. I hope I don't get confused or mixed up on the day memorising so many things.

I've got flash cards for physical,regional and geoecology done out...gotta learn them all too :L. Haven't looked at elective yet :P.

I hope when people say 'they know regional' they don't know every single answer to every question :O? I'm basically picking and choosing random answers here and there and hoping it will work on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I'm studying characteristics of Aridisols and characteristics of Desert Biome, and if I learn Plants/Animals adaption for Desert Biomes, should I be sorted?

It's amazing how just two words mean so much! :pac:

Do you have the book ya? Our teacher basically refused to teach us and told us to buy the book :L :L

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Actually, I'm not confident at all with one of her answers. In fact I'm not even sure it'd earn full marks tbh. If you look at her answer on Human Interference with Biomes, she doesn't have too much points done out on acid rain's effect on rivers/lakes :confused: Did anyone else notice this? Or, does anyone have any extra SRPs for it?

pls

• Advertisement

Hayezer wrote: »
    I've got flash cards for physical,regional and geoecology done out...gotta learn them all too :L. Haven't looked at elective yet :P.

I hope when people say 'they know regional' they don't know every single answer to every question :O? I'm basically picking and choosing random answers here and there and hoping it will work on the day

I've left out the EU part I didn't study it this year nor did my previous teacher in my old school. I had a load of answers written but I lost the sheets so learning the exams skills answers again. I've always wondered for the irish region if I could just stick to the bmv as it normally just asks you to talk about a irish region you have studied. I prefer the bmv for writing about it.
    I haven't done much of regional in a while still working on physical and the option there's so much to learn.

Advertisement