Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography essays MEGATHREAD!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

Just wondering for the plant and animal adaptaions to a biome is anyone doing it on the desert biome or is every one doing the tropical rainforest biome. Also what biome is everyone doing for the characteristics?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Wesc. wrote: »
    Actually, I'm not confident at all with one of her answers. In fact I'm not even sure it'd earn full marks tbh. If you look at her answer on Human Interference with Biomes, she doesn't have too much points done out on acid rain's effect on rivers/lakes :confused: Did anyone else notice this? Or, does anyone have any extra SRPs for it?

pls
    I find a lot of her answers only have 13/14 SRP's when you need 15. And then some answers have about 20 SRP's (Human elective) and you end up with too much detail, I don't think it's that great a book tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Hayezer wrote: »
    Do you have the book ya? Our teacher basically refused to teach us and told us to buy the book :L :L

Luckily I do I just don't look at the Biome section. She tends to deal with the Tropical Rainforest Biome whereas I'm doing the Desert Biome.
    But, I actually don't know what I'd do without the book? She's actually a life saver!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

I've left out the EU part I didn't study it this year nor did my previous teacher in my old school. I had a load of answers written but I lost the sheets so learning the exams skills answers again. I've always wondered for the irish region if I could just stick to the bmv as it normally just asks you to talk about a irish region you have studied. I prefer the bmv for writing about it.
    I haven't done much of regional in a while still working on physical and the option there's so much to learn.

Yep but then theres always the danger of them asking you to contrast BMW and GDA, but I suppose you could do your BMW and bluff GDA.
    I dunno if it's worth it really :/ I'm spending so much time on geography and if the questions come up with ones I don't know I'm gonna cry in the exam.

Whats everyone hoping for in geography? Got like 50 in the pre from 100% bluff-as in this is the first time I've ever studied geography in the 3 years. Not that hard, just such a painfully boring subject

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

I find a lot of her answers only have 13/14 SRP's when you need 15. And then some answers have about 20 SRP's (Human elective) and you end up with too much detail, I don't think it's that great a book tbh!

Yeah it's not actually that good at all. She often elaborates too much on a point when there's no need to. In that answer I doubt it gets even close to how much SRPs it ideally should have. It says discuss two ways, but in discussing the rivers/lakes she has about 7, and surely that's not enough. Hopefully some people will realise that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Yep but then theres always the danger of them asking you to contrast BMW and GDA, but I suppose you could do your BMW and bluff GDA.
    I dunno if it's worth it really :/ I'm spending so much time on geography and if the questions come up with ones I don't know I'm gonna cry in the exam.

Whats everyone hoping for in geography? Got like 50 in the pre from 100% bluff-as in this is the first time I've ever studied geography in the 3 years. Not that hard, just such a painfully boring subject
    I have to get an A2. It's not worth my while doing the Leaving if I don't, won't get my course *which I think I want, not 100% sure yet* if I don't get an A in Geography and basically everything else! :/ Pressure..

I just hope it goes my way on the day.

Wesc. wrote: »
    Yeah it's not actually that good at all. She often elaborates too much on a point when there's no need to. In that answer I doubt it gets even close to how much SRPs it ideally should have. It says discuss two ways, but in discussing the rivers/lakes she has about 7, and surely that's not enough. Hopefully some people will realise that.

Yeah but tbf it is a lifesaver in the way it's layed out with pretty much every question and answer possible! But yeah I was doing tertiary in SW USA earlier and I just take bullet points of key information that I'll be able to waffle on on the day and i only got like 6 points from her answer :L. Dunno, each point might have a few SRPs with the waffle attached or something

I have to get an A2. It's not worth my while doing the Leaving if I don't, won't get my course *which I think I want, not 100% sure yet* if I don't get an A in Geography and basically everything else! :/ Pressure..

I just hope it goes my way on the day.

Imagine if your short questions lost you the A2 :O mental breakdown would be on the cards if that was me

Yeah but tbf it is a lifesaver in the way it's layed out with pretty much every question and answer possible! But yeah I was doing tertiary in SW USA earlier and I just take bullet points of key information that I'll be able to waffle on on the day and i only got like 6 points from her answer :L. Dunno, each point might have a few SRPs with the waffle attached or something

Oh yeah I know it's a great book for students and it definitely teaches geography the way it ought to be taught aswell! I'm just lucky I've had a really good geo teacher who from day one had us focused on the leaving cert and what we need to do. He's a strict c*nt but tbf I would get my A1 without him :')

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I'm hoping for a B1 thats what I need I'm usually good at geography.
    I failed it in my mock in last year though but only because I didn't study and same in the actual leaving studied to late got a D I knew I could've done so much better the exam was hard as I forgot and didn't have everything studied. I've gotten C/B's this year through studying so hopefully a B1 :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

I know this new course has only been around since 2006, So even though I've learned off all the recurring essays on the elective (economic) and most on physical I just feel that something NEW is going to come up.. anyone else feel that?
    I have an essay on trade in Brazil from last year, about Cargill and such, but that's never appeared as an essay before, either has globalisation in Ireland :S regardless I've learned off both.
    I'm just terrified that something will come up I havent covered. I have Sue Honan's book, but I also have 'Shortcuts to Succes Geography LC HL sample answers' and that book has so many sample answers to questions that havent even been asked on the new course yet! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

I don't think it's that great a book tbh!

BLASPHEMY! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

In regional geography when it says "examine 2 factors which have influenced the development of a primary economic activity" can you choose physical and human as the factors or are they meant to be more specific? (e.g. climate and relief as the two factors).

In regional geography when it says "examine 2 factors which have influenced the development of a primary economic activity" can you choose physical and human as the factors or are they meant to be more specific? (e.g. climate and relief as the two factors).

Not sure really, but for that question in SW USA I've got Climate and Drainage so I'm doing more specific. You could write more on physical and human though.

you usually can pick human and physical and then say "the human factor that effects this is transport&comminications and the physical factor effecting it is climate"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

My teacher is an examiner and he lets us do that, but then again he also tells us that "Climate" and "Relief and Soils" are acceptable :S In my mock he marked me down for using 3 headings in a question that said "examine the factors" (unfairly) and my headings had been Climate, Relief and Soils, Common Agricultural Policy - I got 10/10/8 and he gave me 20, i.e. my best 2 headings, and said if I'd done it as "physical" and "human" I'd have gotten 28/30.

I still wouldnt be sure though, oh god, why is geography so confusing :eek:

Patchy~ wrote: »
    My teacher is an examiner and he lets us do that, but then again he also tells us that "Climate" and "Relief and Soils" are acceptable :S In my mock he marked me down for using 3 headings in a question that said "examine the factors" (unfairly) and my headings had been Climate, Relief and Soils, Common Agricultural Policy - I got 10/10/8 and he gave me 20, i.e. my best 2 headings, and said if I'd done it as "physical" and "human" I'd have gotten 28/30.

I still wouldnt be sure though, oh god, why is geography so confusing :eek:

CAP has to be under specific headings WHAT? For my cap essay I just talk about what it is and what it's doing for us, the 4 schemes that have been implemented, and the CAP's impact on our economy :S and I've gotten full marks for that from my teacher, urrrgh confusing :P

Would i be covered if i studied these essays
    • Factors affecting soil formation
    • Soil Characteristics
    • Human impact on a soil
    • Characteristics of a biome

bobjimmy wrote: »
    Would i be covered if i studied these essays
    • Factors affecting soil formation
    • Soil Characteristics
    • Human impact on a soil
    • Characteristics of a biome

I'd say you'd be fine with that bobjimmy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Do you think I'd be alright with these for Biome Question.

- Characteristics of a biome
    - Characteristics of a soil
    - How Humans have altered a biome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Sue Honan is a lifesaver!

Should have a holiday dedicated to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Could you imagine Sue Honan was an examiner and she sees loads of her answers written :P

Fot the option question what would be the story say if you only discussed 2 aspects in detail. Like for the Plant and animal adaptions questions i can only split it up into 2 aspects. Would i get docked marks for a full aspect or what?

CAP has to be under specific headings WHAT? For my cap essay I just talk about what it is and what it's doing for us, the 4 schemes that have been implemented, and the CAP's impact on our economy :S and I've gotten full marks for that from my teacher, urrrgh confusing :P
    No no CAP was a heading in agriculture for me :) Idk my teachers so weird :S He makes us do headings in everything and claims that if we dont we'll get 0 marks...its so bloody annoying because I know it isnt true but if I ever give up a question without headings, I get like 14/30 whereas my friends get 30/30 in their classes! For CAP he makes us do "Finance" and "REPS" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 carnibell

for the question on biomes can you discuss any biome in the world such as the tiaga or does it have to be the most known ones? My teacher didnt do any of this with us

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jamiered81

In the Geoecology section would they ever specify a non-European soil so you wouldn't be able to do Brown Earth soils and have to do Latosols?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

jamiered81 wrote: »
    In the Geoecology section would they ever specify a non-European soil so you wouldn't be able to do Brown Earth soils and have to do Latosols?

I wouldnt think so no! But I suppose its not impossible!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 teacake

Can someone tell me is it hard to get a D3 in honours geo?

In short, no. The project, the shorts plus the repetition of questions make the subject really easy to do well in. :P

• Advertisement

teacake wrote: »
    Can someone tell me is it hard to get a D3 in honours geo?

It's hard not too :P

I mean in fairness, you should be getting most of the short answers right and your project will certainly help you. Just learn off the bare minimum from now on and you could easily pull off a C!

Advertisement