Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography essays MEGATHREAD!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 carnibell

it would be easy to get a D3 all you need to get is 160 marks on the whole paper so thats 32/80 for each section, and thats not counting your fieldwork :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭treely

Would cultural regions in SW USA be good to learn? I'm really lost on what to learn for regional and human elective:confused:

And 'the impact of EU expansion on Ireland'. Please tell me thats the economic elective?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

treely wrote: »
    Would cultural regions in SW USA be good to learn? I'm really lost on what to learn for regional and human elective:confused:

And 'the impact of EU expansion on Ireland'. Please tell me thats the economic elective?
    Definitely learn it! About the different cultural groups and where they canbe found in the region.

I'm off to do the 2007 paper to see how i'm faring. Even though I haven't studied the Regional yet i'll see how i'm getting on! :) Wish me luck! Might be back here in 3 hours time asking does stuff count as an SRP so watch out! I'll let you know how I get on!

Slan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭treely

Have fun;)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Darren.993

Cultural groups in SW USA is quite handy. It's the exact same as one of the questions for the Culture and Identity 80 mark option that we did.

I have a funny feeling Secondary Activities in the SW USA might come up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

No chance anyone here would have an essay on culture in India? I know the basic gist, dif religions and languages but I'd love to see a full sample answer on it. :) thanks a bunch!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

fizzyorange, if you gimme about an hour or so I'll type one up and PM it to you. :)

Though I'd post it here too in case anyone can give me some improvements on it. :P

A region is an area which has certain characteristics which set it apart and make it distinctive. Culture describes how people live thier lives. I am going to discuss the region of India under the headings of religion and language. These two factors have greatly influenced the culture of India.

India has no single common language. Over 1,600 different languages are spoken there, however, the government only recognizes about 18 of these languages as official. Hindi is the most widely spoken language in India with Dravidian and English following closely. English is the language of the wealthy in India and is spoken by people in politics and business. It is only taught in select schools and colleges.

Languages identify regions and people and this can cause tension. The Indian government has difficukties communicating with all of the people in the country due the the vast amount of languages present. This can end up hindering the development of a region.

There are many religions in India but Hinduism is the most practised. Muslims, Christians and Buddhists are also present in India. The Hindu religion has a very strict caste system with 5 divisions. People born into one caste are unable to ever move upwards in the system. This is a form of apartheid- diving people according to occupation and social standing. However, in recent times, the caste system has been declining slimain most large cities and there is more upward movement between the classes.

Before 1947 Pakistan was a part of India under British rule, but after this time Pakistan was separated along religious lines. The majority of Muslims are found in Pakistan while India is Hindu dominated. Over 12 million people migrated to Pakistan when it was released from British rule.

Massive tensions still exist today between Pakistan and India. The region of Kashmir is ruled by both India (65%) and Pakistan (35%). However, Pakistan believes that it should have fill control of Kashmir as the region has an Islamic majority. This has created huge tension between the two regions with little chance of a resolution being reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I covered characteristics of Desert Biome and characteristics of Aridisols and Plant/Animal adaption to Desert Biome.

Should that be enough for the Geoecology? :p

Fergus_ wrote: »
    I covered characteristics of Desert Biome and characteristics of Aridisols and Plant/Animal adaption to Desert Biome.

Should that be enough for the Geoecology? :p

You might want to do Human Interaction with either Soils or a Biome? I dunno, I wouldn't feel safe with just 3. :p

• Advertisement

You might want to do Human Interaction with either Soils or a Biome? I dunno, I wouldn't feel safe with just 3. :p

You're probably right, I'll see if I can do one on Soil Processes and one Human Interaction.

Those 3 topics I did overlapped a lot so it wasn't too difficult to learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Awh deathbythelc you are a life saver!

A1 here I come eh? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Though I'd post it here too in case anyone can give me some improvements on it. :P

A region is an area which has certain characteristics which set it apart and make it distinctive. Culture describes how people live thier lives. I am going to discuss the region of India under the headings of religion and language. These two factors have greatly influenced the culture of India.

India has no single common language. Over 1,600 different languages are spoken there, however, the government only recognizes about 18 of these languages as official. Hindi is the most widely spoken language in India with Dravidian and English following closely. English is the language of the wealthy in India and is spoken by people in politics and business. It is only taught in select schools and colleges.

Languages identify regions and people and this can cause tension. The Indian government has difficukties communicating with all of the people in the country due the the vast amount of languages present. This can end up hindering the development of a region.

There are many religions in India but Hinduism is the most practised. Muslims, Christians and Buddhists are also present in India. The Hindu religion has a very strict caste system with 5 divisions. People born into one caste are unable to ever move upwards in the system. This is a form of apartheid- diving people according to occupation and social standing. However, in recent times, the caste system has been declining slimain most large cities and there is more upward movement between the classes.

Before 1947 Pakistan was a part of India under British rule, but after this time Pakistan was separated along religious lines. The majority of Muslims are found in Pakistan while India is Hindu dominated. Over 12 million people migrated to Pakistan when it was released from British rule.

Massive tensions still exist today between Pakistan and India. The region of Kashmir is ruled by both India (65%) and Pakistan (35%). However, Pakistan believes that it should have fill control of Kashmir as the region has an Islamic majority. This has created huge tension between the two regions with little chance of a resolution being reached.

Do you think something like this would be 30/30? Our teacher is expecting 2 and a half to 3 pages :( and is there much point in waffling, or should we pretty much just list out our points in an essay style? Time is an issue in Geography so if theres no point in waffling that could help

I don't think you're expected to write 2-3 pages on a 30m question?

I thought you'd have to write a page and a bit for 30m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

You write 15 SRP's, thats it, no waffling, however many pages that might take you :P

My sample essays add up to a page or a page and 1/4.

Hayezer wrote: »
    Do you think something like this would be 30/30? Our teacher is expecting 2 and a half to 3 pages :( and is there much point in waffling, or should we pretty much just list out our points in an essay style? Time is an issue in Geography so if theres no point in waffling that could help

Apparently there's 16 SRPs in it, so hopefully. It comes to 1 and 3/4 pages... I definitely don't think you need more than two pages.

Oh and you're welcome fizzyorange! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Would you say I would be covered for the Option by studying:
    • Characteristics of a soil
    • Factors influencing soil characteristics
    • Altering of biomes
    • Influence of climate on Biome

Ok.. Something's not right.. I started the 2007 Paper at 1.00pm and finished it at 3.05pm. I've 45 minutes left over- I did every section, 14 pages in all + Short questions and i've all that time left over :confused:

Gonna go correct it and see how I did!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

jamiered81 wrote: »
    In the Geoecology section would they ever specify a non-European soil so you wouldn't be able to do Brown Earth soils and have to do Latosols?

Brown earth soils are also found in Eastern China, North East USA, New Zealand and Ethiopia. There is no one zonal soil type found in Europe not found anywhere else so they won't ask that

• Advertisement

Ok.. Something's not right.. I started the 2007 Paper at 1.00pm and finished it at 3.05pm. I've 45 minutes left over- I did every section, 14 pages in all + Short questions and i've all that time left over :confused:

Did you do the Human Interaction with Soils question for that year? If you did did you talk about one example (eg Sahel) or did you talk about two? :confused:

Did you do the Human Interaction with Soils question for that year? If you did did you talk about one example (eg Sahel) or did you talk about two? :confused:

No, I did the Plant/Animal Adaptations to Soil/Climatic Conditions!

But for Human Interaction with Soils you could talk about Overcropping in the Sahel, Overgrazing of Land in West Mayo (sheep) you could talk about Deforestation of Trees in Soya Plantations in SW America.

No, I did the Plant/Animal Adaptations to Soil/Climatic Conditions!

But for Human Interaction with Soils you could talk about Overcropping in the Sahel, Overgrazing of Land in West Mayo (sheep) you could talk about Deforestation of Trees in Soya Plantations in SW America.

Ok, thanks! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Don't be surprised, I don't think the timing in geography is half as bad as it's made out to be. I finished my mock with 20 minutes left.:cool:

You're definitely getting an A1 if you're that quick aswell. With that amount of time left over, you could go back over a few questions and think of a few random points to throw down that might earn you SRPs, just leave a good bit of space after each answer! I had to make my own answers for regional in the mock like haha.

Wesc. wrote: »
    Don't be surprised, I don't think the timing in geography is half as bad as it's made out to be. I finished my mock with 20 minutes left.:cool:

Same here, I had 25 minutes left. :p I got a lot of dirty looks from people furiously writing around me as I sat watching the clock out of boredom. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

How many pages were most of your 30 markers?

Wesc. wrote: »

You're definitely getting an A1 if you're that quick aswell. With that amount of time left over, you could go back over a few questions and think of a few random points to throw down that might earn you SRPs, just leave a good bit of space after each answer! I had to make my own answers for regional in the mock like haha.
    I'm shocked! If i've that time left over in the Mock i'd definitely start adding additional SRP's and that into answers to see how I get on! I've got 80/80 in the Shorts so i'm correcting the rest now!

For that paper my timing was like:

-Option: 25 minutes
    -Shorts: 10 minutes (literally)
    -Part A's (Q. 2, 4, 11)- 10 minutes
    -Part B's and C's (Q. 2, 4, 11)- 80 minutes (13 minutes each)

Jesus, hoping to get an A1 if I keep going at this rate! Have to learn a lot of regional though, made up my Tourism in Paris answer and bluffed factors that influence Agriculture in SW USA. But sure, we'll see how I got on i'll keep you posted! :P

Ok so far, i've

80/80 Shorts
    80/80 Option essay (had 3 aspects, and 39 SRP's :P)
    74/80 Physical
    61/80 Regional
    76/80 Human Elective

371/400= 92.75% :D:D

Ecstatic with that!! I'm pretty sure my project was full marks (got it recorrected twice) so if I got anywhere near that i'd have the A1! :D

David1994 wrote: »
    How many pages were most of your 30 markers?

Sorry, never saw this:

I'll do the full thing for you:

Option Essay- 3.5 pages (with a large diagram)

Physical Essays:

Formation of a Meander: 2 pages (with 2 diagrams)
    Geothermal Energy 2 pages (with diagram)

Regional Essays:

Tourism in Paris- 1.5 pages
    Agriculture SW USA- 1 page

Human Essays:

Historic Settlement: 1 page
    Opportunities and Problems in Cities- 1.5 pages

And I didn't bother going back adding additional SRP's when I had 45 minutes left over.

For Geoecology what diagrams should I be drawing? :confused:

• Advertisement

For Geoecology what diagrams should I be drawing? :confused:
    None really. Unless you're discussing soils and need an SRP. I always draw one for Characteristics of Brown earths, I just draw a soil profile or when i'm talking about laterites in the rainforest I sometimes draw a profile to show how leaching has sent the nutrients to the b/c horizons!

Advertisement