Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography essays MEGATHREAD!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Sorry, never saw this:

I'll do the full thing for you:

Option Essay- 3.5 pages (with a large diagram)

Physical Essays:

Formation of a Meander: 2 pages (with 2 diagrams)
    Geothermal Energy 2 pages (with diagram)

Regional Essays:

Tourism in Paris- 1.5 pages
    Agriculture SW USA- 1 page

Human Essays:

Historic Settlement: 1 page
    Opportunities and Problems in Cities- 1.5 pages

And I didn't bother going back adding additional SRP's when I had 45 minutes left over.

Thanks for answering PF :D My answers always seem to come to nearly 1.5-2 pages but I think my writing is kinda larger than most. Fair play for getting all it done with so much time left..Despite how frantic I write in exams I am always tight for time. Have you corrected yourself yet?How did you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

None really. Unless you're discussing soils and need an SRP. I always draw one for Characteristics of Brown earths, I just draw a soil profile or when i'm talking about laterites in the rainforest I sometimes draw a profile to show how leaching has sent the nutrients to the b/c horizons!

Oh, I see! Thanks for all your help. :D You're a lifesaver when it comes to Geography! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭siobhan93

Really not good at taking evidence from the map and writing about it but i know i'll have to know this for historic/ types of settlement etc.
    Anyways, i was just doing historic settlement and dont have a clue what im supposed to learn?
    Ive learned the year and what type of settlers they were but how are you guys learning the 3 srps of discussion? Are you learning them off or are you just gonna make them up on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭treely

Is everyone just learning all of the primary, secondary and tertiary essays for each of Dublin, West, Paris, Mezzogiorno and India/USA, or are you cutting off a few? I dont know which ones to do, or whether to just learn them all. I know that contrast of Mezzogiorno and Paris may come up, but what else are 'must-knows'?

siobhan93 wrote: »
    Really not good at taking evidence from the map and writing about it but i know i'll have to know this for historic/ types of settlement etc.
    Anyways, i was just doing historic settlement and dont have a clue what im supposed to learn?
    Ive learned the year and what type of settlers they were but how are you guys learning the 3 srps of discussion? Are you learning them off or are you just gonna make them up on the day?

Bit of both. Its always the same spiel though. "It developed on lowland/high ground because...", "it developed near a river/the sea for...", etc. At least I hope thats alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 SineadMcc

Was just wondering if anyone could help me, I'm kind of confused with Geoecology at the moment, so question is could you use the human interference/interaction with biomes essay for the human interference/interaction with soils essay does anybody know just to clarify? Or are they strictly 2 different essays ?

Different essays.

Biome-acid rain and deforestation

Soils-overcropping, overgrazing and a bit of deforestation.

Well thats how it is for me anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

David1994 wrote: »
    Thanks for answering PF :D My answers always seem to come to nearly 1.5-2 pages but I think my writing is kinda larger than most. Fair play for getting all it done with so much time left..Despite how frantic I write in exams I am always tight for time. Have you corrected yourself yet?How did you get on?

Yeah I did, being *kinda* hard on myself with the SRP's I got 92.75% :pac:

Yeah I did, being *kinda* hard on myself with the SRP's I got 92.75% :pac:

Good job Sir :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

I asked my friend what she has done for geography so far, her respose?

"Everything."

Oh lordie am I afraid now. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

treely wrote: »
    Is everyone just learning all of the primary, secondary and tertiary essays for each of Dublin, West, Paris, Mezzogiorno and India/USA, or are you cutting off a few? I dont know which ones to do, or whether to just learn them all. I know that contrast of Mezzogiorno and Paris may come up, but what else are 'must-knows'?

I learned off all the essays on paris/mezzogiorno off by heart coupla weeks ago, still have to do brazil and irish regions tho :/
    I wont have enough time to learn each essay up so I'm only doing tertiary activities in Irish regions, it's bound it come up, hasn't been up since 08 :) and primary and secondary Irish regions came up last year!
    As for brazil(india in your case) secondary activities in has never come up for it since the course has been changed, so study that, and it'd be good to know the others :)
    developent of dublin/sao paulo(or whatever you did for india/usa) is good to know too, but not paris it came up last year!

I always say the dates that they could've settled there if that makes sense?

Like Early Christian Settlement- 400-1500 AD
    Stone Age-4000 BC
    Iron Age- 600 BC

I think they count as SRP's, not sure though!

I always say the dates that they could've settled there if that makes sense?

Like Early Christian Settlement- 400-1500 AD
    Stone Age-4000 BC
    Iron Age- 600 BC

I think they count as SRP's, not sure though!

I am almost positive they count as SRPS. I cannot see why they wouldn't as it is a statistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

treely wrote: »

I'm only doing:

-Tertiary in Ireland
    -Primary and Secondary in Paris
    -Primary and Secondary in Mezz
    -Tertiary in India
    -Culture in India
    -Growth of an urban centre in India
    -Two implications of EU expansion

And hoping for the best. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

On regional if it asks for economic development of a regional isit asking for the secondary activities?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Any way to check short answers when they're not on e-xamit?

I don't want to have to trawl through the book that many times :(

On regional if it asks for economic development of a regional isit asking for the secondary activities?

Yeah normally manufacturing and stuff is economic so I would discuss secondary activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Omg at the people writing 2/3 pages for 30 markers and still having time left! I must be the slowest writer ever. I can only do a page and a quarter in 15 minutes. I got caught for time in Xmas and mock. I'm so worried about time! I write as fast as I can but it happens to me in every exam !:(
    In my mock for 1 30 marker I only wrote 3/4 page and I got full marks (our teacher personally knows the examiner and she's an experienced corrector so it's not wrongly marked). So maybe I should stick to writing that much and I won't get stuck for time??

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

Geo10 wrote: »
    Omg at the people writing 2/3 pages for 30 markers and still having time left! I must be the slowest writer ever. I can only do a page and a quarter in 15 minutes. I got caught for time in Xmas and mock. I'm so worried about time! I write as fast as I can but it happens to me in every exam !:(
    In my mock for 1 30 marker I only wrote 3/4 page and I got full marks (our teacher personally knows the examiner and she's an experienced corrector so it's not wrongly marked). So maybe I should stick to writing that much and I won't get stuck for time??

Definitely stay with that. Most of my answers range between 3/4 of a page to 1 and 1/4 pages and i rarely get below 26 in my essays.

Also say if im writing an answer on human interaction on a soil can one of my headings be soil conservation.

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Yesssss it so has to! Depressions came up in 06,08,10 and deserts in 07,09,11, it HAS to :) I'll actually be devastated if it doesnt...and anticyclones came up in 08 and not 06 or 10 so it'd make sense this year but I prepared an answer without them just in case :P

Eeeeeeemmmmmm I did ages ago, I started one like, but never finished it so I cant learn it haha. Its just regional though, literally the headings are agriculture, tourism andddd I think desertification comes in somewhere :L

Oops just read that there!! Sorry i phrased that wrong ment to ask have you done any essays on climate change or global warming for that section??

Ughh im praying for mid-latitude depressions now!!

• Advertisement

Also, is anyone able to explain the central place theory simply?

I find it to be a complete load of jibberish :L But i think it will definitely come up this year!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Oops just read that there!! Sorry i phrased that wrong ment to ask have you done any essays on climate change or global warming for that section??

Ughh im praying for mid-latitude depressions now!!
    Oh yeah kind of, we did "characteristics of climate change over time - discuss" and its all like the milankovich theories but I'm not learning it :/ Global warming might come up and it also comes up in global interdependence! Its just like causes, consequences, solutions :)

Lol same you dont even understand how badly I need it, I'll get 30/80 at best if it doesnt come up :S

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Guys, if ye want to write faster, I would strongly suggest using the papermate comfortmate pen. It's unbelievable! Not only does it make my writing about 10% faster, but an awful lot neater too! My hand doesn't seem to get too sore either. I'm after writing my 3 page option in 19-20 minutes like :P
    So yeah if I were ye I'd definitely try it out, it really helps :)

Also, is anyone able to explain the central place theory simply?

I find it to be a complete load of jibberish :L But i think it will definitely come up this year!:confused:

Yeah I agree, it hasn't been asked since 2008 (as in explain the theory) so here's a crash course on Central place!

Well a Central Place is an area that provides goods and services for its surrounding area (its hinterland) *so basically it's a town or commercial area

Walter Christaller devised this theory to try and explain why there are few towns and why they're spread apart from eachother.

1. Threshold Population

So basically the first thing you talk about is threshold population, that's a fancy way to say:

'the number of people required to purchase a good or use a service for the shop or whatever to stay in business'
      Services like Hospitals have a large threshold population as they require a lot of people to use their service for it to be economically viable for them to remain open. Places like small village shop only require a small threshold population to remain open as they only need a small amount of customers to demand their goods for to be financially viable for them to remain open.

Range
      This is simply the distance people are willing to travel to purchase a good or use a service. For example, Croke Park has a large range as people from all over the country travel to use its service (watch sport). Whilst a Local DVD Shop has a small range as only local people would travel to use its services.

Rank Order
      This is basically what type of good is it that is being demanded. If the good is bought often, it has a low rank order as it is probably cheap and not difficult to purchase (like a newspaper) whereas something like a car is a high order good as it is expensive to purchase and not purchased often

Frequency of Demand
      • Low order goods (ones bought often) e.g. newspapers have a HIGH frequency of Demand as they are highly/oftenly demanded.
      • High order goods (bought sparingly) like cars have a LOW frequency of demand as they are not bought often

That's basically all you have to discuss with regards Central Place theory! You can stick in Criticisms of the theory if you want. They include:
      • Christaller simplifies the land into a region that is FLAT and FEATURELESS. Which is more often than not the case. Many areas are divided by relief features such as mountains or rivers etc.
      • Central place will occur if 'there is an equal distribution of people in a flat and featureless landscape with equal wealth and access to transport services'. This is also unrealistic as places have varying population densities because of climate/relief (think the Himalayas)
      • And finally, Christaller does not take into account that some shoppers have preference where shops are concerned and do not care about the distance they have to travel to purchase the good or use the service

There you go, hope it helps! Was good revision for me too (thought i'd forgotten it!)

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Wesc. wrote: »
      Guys, if ye want to write faster, I would strongly suggest using the papermate comfortmate pen. It's unbelievable! Not only does it make my writing about 10% faster, but an awful lot neater too! My hand doesn't seem to get too sore either. I'm after writing my 3 page option in 19-20 minutes like :P

http://papermate.com/Pages/products.aspx WHICH ONE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

where you buy them? Anything to make me faster in geog the timings not great!

Hayezer wrote: »

Papermate comfortmate ultra :) That said I'd say all those pens are pretty good :P
      Sunny!! wrote: »
      where you buy them? Anything to make me faster in geog the timings not great!

I got mine in Easons in Galway.. they have a huge stack of pens so I was bound to find them there :P But if you look at the link above you'd be able to find them there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Papermate comfortmate ultra :) That said I'd say all those pens are pretty good :P

I got mine in Easons in Galway.. they have a huge stack of pens so I was bound to find them there :P But if you look at the link above you'd be able to find them there!
      thank you! Might be good for english because i have the worst handwriting in the world:P

Wes- are they inky pens? I'm a lefty and any inky pens makes me drag the ink all over the page and on my hand- not good! I'd say i'd get them in Easons in Longford! 'HON LONGFORD..

• Advertisement

Wes- are they inky pens? I'm a lefty and any inky pens makes me drag the ink all over the page and on my hand- not good! I'd say i'd get them in Easons in Longford! 'HON LONGFORD..

No they're not inky at all:)

Advertisement