Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some man threatening cats

• 12-03-2012 11:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a cat(although this doesn't relate to my cat), and I pretty much hate all violence to animals.

I was out working out in the shed, and I heard a guy shouting abuse, and a dog barking. I went out to check and there was a guy(probably crazy) trying to kill a cat. The cat ran up a tree, and the guy had a long metal pole and was trying to knock it down. He had a dog with him at the bottom. I shouted at him cos I was wondering wtf he was doing, and he said the cat was sh1tting in his garden and killed some birds. Tbf, there's a lot of cats in our neighbourhood so he can't prove it's that cat. WHen I said it was my cat(its not), he said he'd deliver the body to me in the morning. Eventually, I got him to **** off back into his house, but the cat is still stuck up in the tree.

So, what I'm asking is what can I do to stop the crazy guy and how do I get the cat down from the tree.

I know someone will probably say that the cat shouldn't be in his garden etc, but it's a cat, and its nature.

So, any help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭TreesAreCrowd

I'm not sure how to deal with the person but just leave the cat be, it'll come down when it has calmed down. Another human approaching it right now, with the exception of its owner perhaps, will just force it further up the tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Jesus Christ:eek: Thats horrendous. That mad man is some sort of monster!
    Get someone with a ladder and lots of patience to try and coax the cat out of the tree. Its probably terrified, the poor thing.
    Then report this guy to the ISPCA - in a very firm way. Unless you make the situation sound extremely serious they may not make a priority out of it.
    And do you know any 6" muscular men who would know that b
    ds door and put the fear of God in him?? I'm a small 5'4" woman and I'd take him on for that. My blood is boiling!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

The man is either a lunatic or someone pushed to the end of his tether, his behaviour is appauling.

My blood is more boiling for the owner who let their cat be put in that position. Call it natural all you want but it's not fair on the cat that the cat owner is an idiot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭titan18

The man is either a lunatic or someone pushed to the end of his tether.

My blood is more boiling for the owner who let their cat be put in that position. Call it natural all you want but it's not fair on the cat that the cat owner is an idiot

Cat's a stray I think. I've seen him around before

Like Shazanne said ring the ISPCA/DSPCA but I wouldn't hold my breath, particularily if it's a stray, feral cats have absolutely no rights in this country.

• Advertisement

Ya, ISPCA are off so had rang the Gardai. Was pretty much the only option. Will ring the ISPCA in the morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

feral cats have absolutely no rights in this country.

I don't think that extends to torture tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Sounds like that guy has much bigger problems than cats in his garden.

Weirdo.

I don't think that extends to torture tbh!

I'm not suggesting it does but trying to convince someone to take an interest will be hard though. Trying to make someone take an interest in an abused animal who does have rights is hard enough. Imagine it was someone setting their dogs on a wild hare, would the ISPCA give a monkeys??

I'm not saying it's right, it's not but unfortunately it's too often the way animal welfare in this country works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

I guess he'd be a dog person. literally being his dog.. In your neighbourhood are cats outnumbering dogs? Would be unusual these days, mine was like this up til 12yr ago before it went to the dogs. Maybe he was teaching his dog to act how he had hoped it would?

I saw a person once jump in the canal and break a swans neck for pecking out at his dog, which was in the water harassing it. Maybe under his order.. a bit unsettling to have seen this, the dog was obviously his best friend this is a reason I prefer cat folk to the ever more savage and obsessive n frankly a bit thick dog folk, they are breeding them nowadays to do savage and erm.. weird things a cat could never be coerced into - I love both but these dog folk man.. so many just want to shape and commandeer an extension of emselves - hope the cat came down already.

• Advertisement

LH Pathe wrote: »
    I guess he'd be a dog person. literally being his dog.. In your neighbourhood are cats outnumbering dogs? Would be unusual these days, mine was like this up til 12yr ago before it went to the dogs. Maybe he was teaching his dog to act how he had hoped it would?

I saw a person once jump in the canal and break a swans neck for pecking out at his dog, which was in the water harassing it. Maybe under his order.. a bit unsettling to have seen this, the dog was obviously his best friend this is a reason I prefer cat folk to the ever more savage and obsessive n frankly a bit thick dog folk, they are breeding them nowadays to do savage and erm.. weird things a cat could never be coerced into - I love both but these dog folk man.. so many just want to shape and commandeer an extension of emselves - hope the cat came down already.

Ya, cats would outnumber dogs in our area. Mostly strays but there are a few house cats around. Cat is still up there anyway. Like looking at it, I don't see how the cat gets down without hurting itself, and from what I can hear his dog is still out there. Not sure about him though

• Registered Users Posts: 32 el sorcerino

Unfortunately for every member who has replied to this thread with disgust as their primary reaction to this man's behaviour, there are five who would do the same.
    Many, many people hate cats because they regard them as being sly, dirty animals? Why, because they keep their distance from strangers-which to me seems a good method of staying alive. I can't explain the dirty thing? I mean they clean themselves constantly, don't smell and dig holes to excrete into-which they then cover up again!
    Granted, it may be annoying to see an animal **** in your garden but when a dog gets out of the garden he does the very same-with a much larger mess.
    I wonder would his attitude change if someone was doing their best to put an end to his dogs life in a similar manner. Probably not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

titan18 wrote: »
    Cat is still up there anyway. Like looking at it, I don't see how the cat gets down without hurting itself, and from what I can hear his dog is still out there. Not sure about him though

may be in a state of severe distrust. like I says, more dog folk around nowadays. whatever cats remain around here are very weary of people now and won't let em within 20ft without bolting. They all seem to lead an overly paranoid existence now the likes of which I'd never seen last century.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Get a long metal pole, then beat him with it. Simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

SingItOut wrote: »
    Get a long metal pole, then beat him with it. Simple.

if read wrong (like I did 1st) some people will think you meant the cat and not the guy. . . :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I'd just say there's a crazy man running around waving a metal pole and shouting abuse at a tree.

Gardai would be up in a shot.

Don't mention cats....

Just stand there saying: "yeah... sure, there's a cat up the tree... "

(Whisper : It's probably a good idea that we humor him)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

garkane wrote: »
    if read wrong (like I did 1st) some people will think you meant the cat and not the guy. . . :p

The guy, definetly the guy! give the kitty cuddles when it comes down :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

Hi,

I have a cat(although this doesn't relate to my cat), and I pretty much hate all violence to animals.

I was out working out in the shed, and I heard a guy shouting abuse, and a dog barking. I went out to check and there was a guy(probably crazy) trying to kill a cat. The cat ran up a tree, and the guy had a long metal pole and was trying to knock it down. He had a dog with him at the bottom. I shouted at him cos I was wondering wtf he was doing, and he said the cat was sh1tting in his garden and killed some birds. Tbf, there's a lot of cats in our neighbourhood so he can't prove it's that cat. WHen I said it was my cat(its not), he said he'd deliver the body to me in the morning. Eventually, I got him to **** off back into his house, but the cat is still stuck up in the tree.

So, what I'm asking is what can I do to stop the crazy guy and how do I get the cat down from the tree.

I know someone will probably say that the cat shouldn't be in his garden etc, but it's a cat, and its nature.

So, any help?

I'd have a look online to see if there are any animal rescues in your area. They might practice Trap Neuter and Release with cats so it would control the number of cats in your area, they might also be able to rehome any of the tame strays. At least its worth a shot to keep the cats safe from nut jobs like that guy. I'd agree about not mentioning the cat if you call the guards about the guy.

A couple of years ago I saw a neighbour of mine and his buddy pass my house with a yard brush and wheel brace, one of his kids is afraid of dogs and somehow got a fright when he saw a dog. From the conversation I heard they were taking the child to watch them kill the dog. Now I'm talking about 2 total criminal scumbags who'd have no problem beating a dog to death. I phoned the guards who then told me that there was nothing they could do, but that if somebodies dog was killed and it was reported to them they would then know who to talk to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Am I just thinking wishfully, or is there some new animal welfare legislation on its way ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

What an asshole:mad: I'd a weirdo threatening to poison my cats because they walk on her wall and set her sensor light off:rolleyes: Myself and another neighbour called the guards who went round and gave her a warning. Maybe if this happened it would put the sh1ts up him? Do you know who owns the cat? I'd definitely try and find out to warn them and also warn other cat owners in the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Unfortunately for every member who has replied to this thread with disgust as their primary reaction to this man's behaviour, there are five who would do the same.
    Many, many people hate cats because they regard them as being sly, dirty animals? Why, because they keep their distance from strangers-which to me seems a good method of staying alive. I can't explain the dirty thing? I mean they clean themselves constantly, don't smell and dig holes to excrete into-which they then cover up again!
    Granted, it may be annoying to see an animal **** in your garden but when a dog gets out of the garden he does the very same-with a much larger mess.
    I wonder would his attitude change if someone was doing their best to put an end to his dogs life in a similar manner. Probably not...

i think its because theyre intimidated by feline independence and intelligence
    they dont trust a small animal that isnt totally dependent on them and can survive alone
    fear makes people crazy!

i was actually talking to someone about this on another thread...watched a documentary about cats on discovery recently and everyt ime the narrator was describing the most interesting and amazing aibilities of cats this wierd horror-film music came on in the backround

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

lolo62 wrote: »
    i think its because theyre intimidated by feline independence and intelligence
    they dont trust a small animal that isnt totally dependent on them and can survive alone
    fear makes people crazy!

i was actually talking to someone about this on another thread...watched a documentary about cats on discovery recently and everyt ime the narrator was describing the most interesting and amazing aibilities of cats this wierd horror-film music came on in the backround[/QUO

I actually don't know many people who like cats which I find bizarre. I've 4 cats my 2 and 2 rescued ferals and I could watch them all day. Would actually love to put cameras on them to see what they get up to! I love dogs too but am more of a cat person:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I've been checking in to see how that cat got on. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The first people to phone are the Guards. Say that you "wish to make a formal complaint of Cruelty under the 1911 Act". If no one appears then call in to your local Garda station & make the same statement. Make a formal complaint in writing & advise the Guards that you will be following this up.
    Stress that the man's behaviour is threatening, abusive & that he was in possession of an offensive weapon.

If you see him doing anything similar then photograph or video it as evidence - then if you get nowhere you can always go to the press or youtube !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

LH Pathe wrote: »
    the dog was obviously his best friend this is a reason I prefer cat folk to the ever more savage and obsessive n frankly a bit thick dog folk

Wow, a bit of a generalisation there. I have a dog as a best friend, doesnt mean I would dream of hurting a cat if it was doing something to her or me. I wouldnt hurt any animal. A lot of people who like dogs like animals in general you know, not all mad swan/cat killing people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Back on the original point, that man sounds a bit frightening to be honest. What ever about doing something in temper chasing a cat with a pole sounds quite crazy as others have said I would let the Ispc know, they may not do anything but at least you have reported it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

[/QUO

I actually don't know many people who like cats which I find bizarre. I've 4 cats my 2 and 2 rescued ferals and I could watch them all day. Would actually love to put cameras on them to see what they get up to! I love dogs too but am more of a cat person:)[/QUOTE]

big time! i never get bored of watching them also, theyre so expressive but they have to be the most misunderstood animals on the planet

sorry for getting off topic OP its just something i have come across a lot and not always from people you would expect...that man sounds just your average lunatic but i have seen regular people go from neutral to demonic in the presence of cats, it does seem to be that if people dislike them its more of a fearful hatred than just a general dissapproval

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

For those who don't like cats (and those who do); warning, tearjerker:

http://vimeo.com/36818561

For the Remainder, by Omar Ben David, an art school student in Israel with a nuanced name...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Hi,

So, any help?
    This happen in Bluebell perchance? Sounds a lot like a guy who used to threaten (and I suspect poisoned and killed one of) my cats. Have you tried coaxing the cat down with food? He/she is probably just terrified.. fair play for standing up to this idiot!

Advertisement