Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overhead position - a problem with the lats?

• 12-03-2012 11:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭

This is something I've heard a few times and most recently came up in the power clean thread and at the Weightlifting Ireland coaching course...

How is lat flexibility/tight lats the primary issue when it comes to not being able to achieve a good overhead position for snatching/jerks?

I can barely articulate why I don't get it because it's such an alien concept to me considering their origin and insertion, but like while overhead the lats should be contracted, so how is flexibility an issue?

Surely the ability to extend the thoracic portion of the spine (thoracic mobility and strength) are far more important?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Not sure about it being a primary issue, but if lats are tight they will pull the arms forward when in an overhead position, especially when contracting.

Because of the insertion point it will want to pull the arm down and into extension from the overhead position. But really, someone would want to have difficulty putting their arms straight overhead for it to be a primary issue. Most likely thoracic/upper cross yadayada.
    I think the lat thing has become trendy because of the ohs screen and people like to label it very quickly,'oh tight lats', when very often the lats themselves are fine but the individual just lacks thoracic mobility, extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Raising up the elbows when the the bar rests below your chin can be restricted by poor lat flexibility (or so I was told).

I find it difficult (started doing cleans) so I'm guessing my lats are not flexible.

Advertisement