Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aritech cs 250m fault

Options
  • 12-03-2012 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

I'm a first time poster,have been reading some of the previous threads and there seems to be a lot of experienced alarm installers on here who might be able to give me some advice.I installed an aritech cs 250 panel with wireless door and window contacts and wireless pir.The internal sounder and external Saab are hard wired.Recently I noticed a strange noise coming from the internal sounder,almost like a buzzing noise.The next day we had a phantom alarm with no apparent cause,it happened twice the next day and the keypad indicated "ext tamper fault".Just to be sure I bridged the connections in the Saab and put a 4k7 resistor across the terminals,fault remained.Thinking I had a fault board I replaced it with a cs 245 and as soon as I wired it up the internal sounder was giving the exact same buzzing noise...
    Now the keypad is not responding....
    Apologies for the long post and any help/advice would be much appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

vwt wrote: »
    I'm a first time poster,have been reading some of the previous threads and there seems to be a lot of experienced alarm installers on here who might be able to give me some advice.I installed an aritech cs 250 panel with wireless door and window contacts and wireless pir.The internal sounder and external Saab are hard wired.Recently I noticed a strange noise coming from the internal sounder,almost like a buzzing noise.The next day we had a phantom alarm with no apparent cause,it happened twice the next day and the keypad indicated "ext tamper fault".Just to be sure I bridged the connections in the Saab and put a 4k7 resistor across the terminals,fault remained.Thinking I had a fault board I replaced it with a cs 245 and as soon as I wired it up the internal sounder was giving the exact same buzzing noise...
    Now the keypad is not responding....
    Apologies for the long post and any help/advice would be much appreciated!!

More than likely there is a problem with the internal bell. If you disconnect it and power back up the alarm does the keypad come back on?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭vwt

Thanks for the reply altor...
    Haven't actually tried that,do you think that would throw up an ext tamper fault??.Am I correct in saying that the negative from the Saab is connected with the negative of the internal bell?
    I put the old board back in and rewired as before,the keypad just said version 1.5 etc,no response from push buttons and LEDs not displayed,internal sounder was ringing

Thanks for the reply altor...
    Haven't actually tried that,do you think that would throw up an ext tamper fault??.Am I correct in saying that the negative from the Saab is connected with the negative of the internal bell?
    I put the old board back in and rewired as before,the keypad just said version 1.5 etc,no response from push buttons and LEDs not displayed,internal sounder was ringing

The internal bell is connected to the strobe also. The tamper issue would relate to the tamper on the external bell, also if the tamper off the internal bell was ran in series with the external bell this could be the cause. There is no fuses in the 250 so if there is an issue removing any powered devices and adding them again one by one may show what the issue is.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If there internal is like an SB1 you can sometimes get feedback from the strobe.
    Wire it in without the strobe to confirm or eliminate this.

KoolKid wrote: »
    If there internal is like an SB1 you can sometimes get feedback from the strobe.
    Wire it in without the strobe to confirm or eliminate this.
    Thanks for the reply kk.The internal bell has no strobe,sounder only.I only have two wires connected in the tamper connections of the panel,these are from the external tamper connections of the bell.I think I did notice 3v at the internal bell connections yesterday.So are we saying that the external Saab could be at fault??
    Any ideas on the keypad?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Is the internal bell & the strobe from the external both connected to internal bell + & - at the panel?

Is the internal bell & the strobe from the external both connected to internal bell + & - at the panel?
    Yes...
    The strobe connection is in with the negative of the internal bell

If you disconnect the strobe does the noise coming from the internal stop?

If you disconnect the strobe does the noise coming from the internal stop?
    Havent tried that yet....
    The cs 245 board and cs 250 boards seemed to react differently!.I'm in work at the min so I'm gonna try a few more things later......
    If unsuccessful the whole lot is goin in the bin,wouldn't mind it's only 4 yrs old!

I was never a big fan of the CS2** range to be honest. But the feedback is a common problems on a good few Panel/Bell combinations. A 1k resistor across the internal may also sort it.

• Advertisement

I was never a big fan of the CS2** range to be honest. But the feedback is a common problems on a good few Panel/Bell combinations. A 1k resistor across the internal may also sort it.
    Is there a good panel you could recommend that is compatible with the aritech wireless gear???.I spent a lot of money on this junk and I don't want to have to replace everything???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

There is nothing wrong with the Aritech 250 panels. I've been installing them for years. Your problem seems like a cable problem either the external cable or the internal cable.

Disconnect both bells from the devices and the panel and meter out the cables for shorts/continuity. If both cables are okay then wire one bell in at a time abs see which one causes the fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Sounds like a feedback issue.
    Program another output as a bell or strobe and connect the internal bell to it

Is there a good panel you could recommend that is compatible with the aritech wireless gear???.I spent a lot of money on this junk and I don't want to have to replace everything???

To be honest if you have a lot of components for this system them try sort the issue with the bell, more than likely one of them is faulty or there is a cable issue.

If you did decide to use a different system then the UTC NX10 would be able to take the older wire free components with a 433 receiver.

Thanks for all the replies lads...
    All the wiring has been checked for continuity and seems fine.I'm starting to think its a feedback issue from the external strobe because when I connect it to the panel I get this weird humming from the internal bell!.I've got a brand new external and internal bell(both aritech) and I'll try wire them up tomorrow to see if I can sort it.The panel is giving a bus tamp/sys tamp fault with the strobe disconnected and a sys tamp/ext tamp fault with it connected!!!

Bus tamp would be no nothing to do with the strobe.
    Have you disconnected the keypad at any stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

You have something seriously mixed up. I would be very surprised if its a faulty panel ir device.

Can you take a picture of the wiring in the panel?

Bus tamp would be no nothing to do with the strobe.
    Have you disconnected the keypad at any stage?
    I found it strange myself kk
    Yes keypad has been disconnected and reconnected a number of times....

You have something seriously mixed up. I would be very surprised if its a faulty panel ir device.

Can you take a picture of the wiring in the panel?
    I don't think so ff....i originally wired it up four yrs ago as per cs250m manual had no issues....I'm hoping when I replace the bells later it's resolved,or maybe I'm naive!!!
    Bus tamp refers to tamp on rf expander??

I don't think so ff....i originally wired it up four yrs ago as per cs250m manual had no issues....I'm hoping when I replace the bells later it's resolved,or maybe I'm naive!!!

Yes the bus tamper would refer to the rf expander. I would change out the internal bell first, since you never had an issue this is more than likely where the problem is.

• Advertisement

altor wrote: »

Yes the bus tamper would refer to the rf expander. I would change out the internal bell first, since you never had an issue this is more than likely where the problem is.
    So just wired in new internal and external bells.Weird humming noise is gone from internal bell but keypad still saying Sys tamp and ext tamp....
    Also when I do an external bell test it the voltage keeps fluctuating between 14 and 7 volts,doesn't stay constant

On the external bell put the resistor across the Bell Hold Off & tamper return at the panel.
    For the bus tamper goto Inputs > Eng Reset > Configure > Yes press OK
    Leave for upto 2 minutes & come out of engineer.

On the external bell put the resistor across the Bell Hold Off & tamper return at the panel.
    For the bus tamper goto Inputs > Eng Reset > Configure > Yes press OK
    Leave for upto 2 minutes & come out of engineer.
    Tks Kk...
    I'm so close now,manage to clear all faults,have 4k7 resistor across tamper terminals in panel.The only prob is the external bell,I got an as 195 as a replacement...
    How should it be wired,it refers to bho and tamper return in panel....
    All I have is two ext tamper connections

The Hold off is the one that read permanant negetive.
    From memory I think its the left as you look at it.

The Hold off is the one that read permanant negetive.
    From memory I think its the left as you look at it.
    I must be connecting it wrong,it gives me a fault as soon as I do...
    There is 5 connections in the bell,strobe x 1,hold off x 2,return and trigger...
    Can somebody tell me exactly how they should be connected in the 250 panel

Place the resistor across the hold off and the tamper return cables at the bell end.
    That will eliminate a problem with the cable.

Place the resistor across the hold off and the tamper return cables at the bell end.
    That will eliminate a problem with the cable.
    Just to report an update....at last everything is up and running,working perfectly with no faults!!
    The bell actually needed a permanent 12v unswitched at the bho terminals!!!!!
    So its not connected to the ext bell connections in the panel at all!
    Id like to thank everyone who took the time and effort to offer advice!
    Thanks again!

Ext + and BHO is permanent 12 volts either way.
    Anyway, glad its all sorted.

Just to report an update....at last everything is up and running,working perfectly with no faults!!
    The bell actually needed a permanent 12v unswitched at the bho terminals!!!!!
    So its not connected to the ext bell connections in the panel at all!
    Id like to thank everyone who took the time and effort to offer advice!
    Thanks again!

Did you end up replacing any device?

• Advertisement

altor wrote: »
    Did you end up replacing any device?
    I think he changed the bells.
    So just wired in new internal and external bells.Weird humming noise is gone from internal bell

Advertisement