Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mathematical Sciences: DT205

Options
  • 12-03-2012 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

I was just wondering if anyone can give me more infomation on what this course is like? What are the career opportunities afterwards etc?

I am doing the leaving cert this year and I am taking ordinary level maths, but I really love maths. I would love to teach it at secondary school afterwards, is that easy to do from this course? Once I am finished this course would I be a qualified teacher or would I have to do something else?

Any other additional info?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I'm not too certain, but I would say that you'd have to go on and do a one year H.Dip in Education before you would be able to teach, bus yes I would say that once you have finished this degree and done the HDip you would be more than qualified to teach maths at Secondary School level.

Check out the entry requirements for it tho, it may require H Level maths to get in, but I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

Thank you for your help.
    It says that you just need a min of a B2 in ordinary level.
    For some reason though, I find it a bit odd how the points are pretty low and the maths requirment is OB2 and afterall it is a maths course

Anyone else have any info about this course?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

http://www.lttc.ie/coursewise/streams/365/

I studied Mechanical Engineering in DIT which was full of Maths. I had a look at the modules in the Mathematical Science course and I would advise against it if you are not doing honours maths in the leaving cert. It looks like a great course though. It is strange that they have an ordinary B2 as a minimum requirement. Just my opinion.

http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=15?Mainsec=courses&Subsec=course_details&ID=1526

http://www.lttc.ie/coursewise/streams/365/

I studied Mechanical Engineering in DIT which was full of Maths. I had a look at the modules in the Mathematical Science course and I would advise against it if you are not doing honours maths in the leaving cert. It looks like a great course though. It is strange that they have an ordinary B2 as a minimum requirement. Just my opinion.

http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=15?Mainsec=courses&Subsec=course_details&ID=1526

Thank you for your input.

Is there anyone who has done this course that can offer any insight?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 tommy.obr

I'd have to second kevohmsford's adivice, i done structural engineering which is again, quite similar. The maths is no walk in the Park. DITs got some great maths teachers but if you cant manage Higher at Leaving cert level you'll prob find it quite difficult.

• Advertisement

Ok, thanks a million for your input. I appreciate it.

But would the maths in the start not be of an ok standard, and then work the way up, since some people going into the course will of done the ordinary level maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 tommy.obr

More than likley it'll start at an easy level yeah, but the pace will be prety intense like most college courses, you gota be really sure your into maths. Actually i just had a look at the subjects and its looks prety much like leaving cert higher maths. there seems to be a few computer based subjects too, programing etc. I'm sure you could probably manage it, you'll just have to put plenty of work in, which is often hard to do in first year. If i was you i'd be aiming for an A in your maths. If maths is really something you love you should enjoy it doing it an dhave no problem getting an A

tommy.obr wrote: »
    More than likley it'll start at an easy level yeah, but the pace will be prety intense like most college courses, you gota be really sure your into maths. Actually i just had a look at the subjects and its looks prety much like leaving cert higher maths. there seems to be a few computer based subjects too, programing etc. I'm sure you could probably manage it, you'll just have to put plenty of work in, which is often hard to do in first year. If i was you i'd be aiming for an A in your maths. If maths is really something you love you should enjoy it doing it an dhave no problem getting an A

Thank you :)

I do really love maths, its my favourite subject and despite the amount of work I have missed in school since fifth year, my teacher said 'm still capable of getting an A.
    I really enjoy it maths and love doing the work.

Thanks again for your input. I think I will need to think about it more/look into the modules more etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dufresne

Hi Raeone.

Only noticed this thread. I lecture on that programme and have done for several years. The first and second years are combined with the BSc in Industrial Mathematics and then in third year they choose different options. The numbers taking the course have been steady at 20ish until this year when we took in 42 first years. The students generally get a fair amount of individual attention because of these smaller class sizes.

We have many students who come in with Ord level Maths and as long as they attend regularly and keep up with each of the modules they have no difficulty with the material. I would say the number of students with Ord level Maths are well in the majority. We go nice and easy on the first years and as you would expect the difficulty level rises a little each year. However those who have gone before you have managed fine.

As regards career prospects. Five years ago most of our graduates went into finance or further study. Now many go into education. As a previous poster mentioned, you would have to do a HDip to teach second level here. There is another option though. There is a college in London called St Marys where graduates can do the UK equivalent of a HDip and because our graduates are of a high standard they send a recruiter over every year specifically to target them. A few have done the years study and now teach in London - might be an option.

If you need more info I can give you my email address.
    I could also give you a contact number for one of the assistant heads of school who would be more than happy to talk to you.
    If you wanted to get more of a feel for the programme it might be possible to arrange for you to shadow one of our current first years for a day/half day.

One other piece of information - In first year, the students learn programming, usually C++ or C# This is the class they tend to dislike most and complain about having to do it. However by the time they go for work experience in third they generally appreciate having some programming skills as it opens a lot more doors for them. Some of them even enjoy it.

Get back to me if you have more questions

Paul

Sorry, I'm just seen your reply now. Thanks a million for all that info.

I've made the decision on putting down on my cao when it reopens.

Hopefully I get in :)

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement