Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Padraig Nally documentary on RTÉ2

• 12-03-2012 11:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Just after watching this. Got to feel sorry for the poor man. Even ended up on a stakeout in his own barn.

Think most rational people would have done the same in his shoes. Pity nobody from the travelling community in the mayo area other than the 2 settled guys at the start (1 of which I recognise from being a mayor of rathkeale or somewhere similar) came out to give their side of the story as to defend a guy who on the face of it was harassing mr nally.

Great program, that's why I pay my licence fee. And I don't often give kudos to RTÉ.

Comments

I didnt need to see Charlie Bird talking about Charlie bird did you need to shoot him twice Charlie bird? Why not shoot him in the Charlie Bird or just shoot the Charlie Bird in the air to Charlie Bird.

Ok my real opinion is that he should have used Frog Ward's head on a stick outside his farm as a warning to any other cu­nt who wanted to terrorize an old man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

wellboy76 wrote: »
    Just after watching this. Got to feel sorry for the poor man. Even ended up on a stakeout in his own barn.

Think most rational people would have done the same in his shoes. Pity nobody from the travelling community in the mayo area other than the 2 settled guys at the start (1 of which I recognise from being a mayor of rathkeale or somewhere similar) came out to give their side of the story as to defend a guy who on the face of it was harassing mr nally.

Great program, that's why I pay my licence fee. And I don't often give kudos to RTÉ.

It was good alright. The case attracted a lot of bigoted anti-traveller morons. But at the same time I think very, very many people on farms especially have a genuine fear of travellers coming on their property. I can certainly appreciate why very many would deem Pádraig Nally to be a 'hero'. I think he was right, but I don't like people using it for some wider anti-traveller attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

It was decent, although Charlie Bird should be replaced with Bill O'Herlihy IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

haha
    lets have a fight

settled versus travellers

Charlie's still a legend, but he was looking fierce scruffy tonight. We need more scruffies on RTÉ - if only to shock the Superquinn/Brown Thomas/Marks & Spencer women ladies.

• Advertisement

Owen_S wrote: »
    It was decent, although Charlie Bird should be replaced with Bill O'Herlihy IMO.

haha imagine it

"Okey doke so, eh, we will be back after the break with some Garda analysis of the shooting, eh, live."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

wellboy76 wrote: »

I thought he was the mayor of tuam. I dont think it was ever a settled vs traveller incident like the travellers made out even though they were down to earth about it. Bottom line if you are by yourself and being harassed for a while your going to crack. He probably shouldnt have reloaded but more than likely Ward would have gone back to get him if he hadnt. I live in the back of beyonds and the amount of break ins going on lately is unreal, every week I hear of something. He shouldnt have fired the first shot at him really when you think about it but when he had been there a few times before and kept coming back the man must have been in fear and acted on it. Its a pity because it has his own life ruined too over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

I thought it was quite well done, he interviewed both sides. Social isolation and people living in fear is a major problem in rural Ireland and needs to be highlighted.

No coincidence that crime rates (Burglary) have since dropped and great that the law has been changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Seanchai wrote: »
    It was good alright. The case attracted a lot of bigoted anti-traveller morons. But at the same time I think very, very many people on farms especially have a genuine fear of travellers coming on their property. I can certainly appreciate why very many would deem Pádraig Nally to be a 'hero'. I think he was right, but I don't like people using it for some wider anti-traveller attack.
    I wouldnt call him a hero to be honest and dont think anyone should but I agree with the rest of what you said. If it happened to be the pope that was breaking into him and harassing him I reckoned he would have shot him. Nothing to do with your man being a traveller and more to do with him being a common c**t!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Not just farmers. Pretty much any small business is the same. Where I grew up, we were terrorised by the halting site a mile up the road and never by the same bunch. Lost count of the amount of dogs we had that were murdered, at least half a dozen (as the guards called it - they were taking away their bark). Pro traveller groups are entitled to their view but if they had to put up with the thieving and intimidation we were subjected to throughout the years as individuals, I'd say there would have been some different opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Owen_S wrote: »

If Bill was on boards.ie he would be banned as a troll

He's a very sharp and intelligent man but he acts dumb and winds up his panel just to draw a reaction

It works anyway and he is well paid for his RTÉ work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

mikemac1 wrote: »
    If Bill was on boards.ie he would be banned as a troll

He's a very sharp and intelligent man but he acts dumb and winds up his panel just to draw a reaction

It works anyway and he is well paid for his RTÉ work
    Yeah I was surprised myself to learn of his past journalism work with RTE in that TV50 show about him, intriguing stuff, in an overall sense, live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

micropig wrote: »
    No coincidence that crime rates (Burglary) have since dropped and great that the law has been changed.

How do you figure that? Have figures even been released?

Gonna attract a sh!t storm for saying this, but Nally basically murdered the guy in cold blood, he's no hero.

benway wrote: »

Gonna attract a sh!t storm for saying this, but Nally basically murdered the guy in cold blood, he's no hero.

you won't
    burglary levels have risen im sure
    more to do with recession

I thought it was quite well done, he interviewed both sides. Social isolation and people living in fear is a major problem in rural Ireland and needs to be highlighted.

This. Hugely. I only realised it in the past year talking to people from a farming area. They laughed it off (if fairness these people at this stage laughed everything off) but the stories they had of certain members of the travelling community poking their noses around farm yards and being run off and the occupants being in fear thereafter that their farm equipment/tools and home would be robbed was heart rendering (they weren't laughing when talking about the sleepless nights).

The "yo boss" types are a massive problem to farming communities. They are a law unto themselves. Meanwhile elderly farmers in isolated areas live in fear across Ireland.

Jeesh! The PC Brigade arrived quicker than I though:rolleyes: Ok So, Hows these for figures:p

2004Q4 last 1/4 2004
    0712 ,22 ,Mayo Garda Division

Burglary (not aggravated) 63

2005Q1 1st 1/4 2005
    0712 ,22 ,Mayo Garda Division

Burglary (not aggravated) 45

*Not saying these has any connection to what we are talking about, they are just figures from the Central Statics office of crime rates in the Mayo division , nothing else is being implied....etc:D

http://www.cso.ie/px/pxeirestat/Statire/SelectVarVal/Define.asp?maintable=cjq03

This. Hugely. I only realised it in the past year talking to people from a farming area. They laughed it off (if fairness these people at this stage laughed everything off) but the stories they had of certain members of the travelling community poking their noses around farm yards and being run off and the occupants being in fear thereafter that their farm equipment/tools and home would be robbed was heart rendering (they weren't laughing when talking about the sleepless nights).

The "yo boss" types are a massive problem to farming communities. They are a law unto themselves. Meanwhile elderly farmers in isolated areas live in fear across Ireland.

And if they get wind of a funeral....well that's your house robbed:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Figures released on a previous Primetime programme. will try and dig it out somewhere,but showed a massive decrease in burglaries in the Mayo/Galway area after the death on Nally's farm.

BTW hows life behind the "gated community" in Dublin 4 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Benway

Your blind "respect" for the law is impractical. I suppose you need to phone the Gardai if I drop around to put in a nice bit of carpet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

You can be sure his blood was anything but cold on that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I think its fair to say, at the end of the day, in an overall sense that Nally is maybe a joker short of a full deck of cards, an it was that unstable mindset which led him to go off the deep end, you could say, and take the ultimate step in dealing with his problem......................would you agree with that now Eamonn, HAH, HAH? .... Live.

Agricola wrote: »
    I think its fair to say, at the end of the day, in an overall sense that Nally is maybe a joker short of a full deck of cards, an it was that unstable mindset which led him to go off the deep end, you could say, and take the ultimate step in dealing with his problem......................would you agree with that now Eamonn, HAH, HAH? .... Live.

eamonn who

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭RossieGooner

Great program that addressed a number of issues:

1 - Ward was not killed because he was a traveller. He was killed beacuse he was serial scumbag with mulitiple previous convictions (80+ i believe) and bench warrants out on him, who saw Nally as a handy target. Going into this man's property 4 times uninvited over a month and the last time with his son meant he was only there for only one reason. His son at least saw sense and skipped it the last time.
    2 - The legal system that allows the likes of Ward to be out in rural ireland terrorising people needs looking at. We jail people for not paying €50 fines and the likes of this scumbag gets freedom of the land.... something wrong there.
    3 - The level of support for Nally in rural Ireland is not exaggerated. You go to any rural community anywhere on this island and you will hear stories about people being found coming out of people's houses, sheds ,etc and almost making a joke of being caught doing same. In almost EVERY case it is a traveller.
    4 - Pavee Point and others like them need to face up to the fact that there are people within their own community are scumbags, and they cant keep blaming the "meejah", settled community, guards, misunderstanding of their "culture". Sooner they accept responsiblity, the sooner they'll get mainstream respect. In fairness one of the Tuam traveller reps seemed to get this - the other was stuck in "meejah" blame mode.

Anyone who has not lived in rural Ireland and experienced a dark wet winters night on their own really has no idea of how isolated and frightening it can be, and cannot possibly relate to Nally's state of mind or what he was going through.

PS - I live in rural Ireland and if anyone would keep coming back to my home uninvitedand threatening me, id probably do the same as Nally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It's all cold blood till it's on your own doorstep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

I was unjustly banned back in 2005 for stating my opinion on this issue. In fact it was one of my first posts on this site.

Nally was just an ordinary man thrust into extraordinary circumstances. The trial was divisive and a sentence had to be given to make an example on one hand, plus there was the 'racial' element of the crime on the other.

I do put 'racial' in inverted comma's because Travellers essentially think they are a seperate grouping in order to claim their rights.

I however have a rather right wing argument. Although granted, I won't openly state what i really do think and get banned. But I'll say this much.

If Travellers wish to be a seperate racial group, can they exercise their responsibilities a bit more. And in particular, exercise one right in particular.

That right. ....the right to remain silent. And stay that way until they bloody well behave themselves.

How Ward, with multiple convictions was not dealt with by the judicial and legal system is a grave indictment of that system. Certain kinds of solutions need to be considered to deal with the likes of Ward, which I will leave to your fertile imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

John ‘Frog’ Ward’s previous convictions numbered 80 and were spread over 38 court appearances. All court appearances, bar two, were in district courts.

Ward served a number of prison sentences. At the time of his death he was awaiting trial arising out of an incident at Carrowbrowne Halting Site on April 15, 2004 when he was alleged to have produced a slash hook to gardaí.

The court also heard how there were four bench warrants issued for the arrest of Mr Ward that were not executed at the time of his death.

No loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Nally was scared out of his wits (although bollocks to say he was a frail old man - he was 60) and had a right to defend himself, Ward - what a lowlife (traveller or not) and deserved to be taught a lesson... but not killed. Too far. Although I can see how Nally would have been in such desperation and fear to the point of doing something irrational.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Nally was right to shoot him and I'd have done exactly the same thing if the likes of Ward pushed me to it. The biggest disgrace of all was to Jail Nally when scumbag criminals like Ward were allowed to roam the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Shotgun_TEXAS

anyone that breaks in to my house will get it! even the way things have gone I have often thought if im pulling in, and I see a van pulling out ill ram it lets face it there would not be a 12 hiace in my house.
    Nally did what he felt he needed to do.
    And for Collette Fitzpatrick on midweek saying he was wrong, his spokesman was wrong and that keane man was wrong to say in lisa's case bla bla (think it was lisa) cant wait to see her privacy violated and someone threatining to cut her bodyparts off see what she says!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

dermo88 wrote: »
    I was unjustly banned back in 2005 for stating my opinion on this issue. In fact it was one of my first posts on this site.

Nally was just an ordinary man thrust into extraordinary circumstances. The trial was divisive and a sentence had to be given to make an example on one hand, plus there was the 'racial' element of the crime on the other.

I do put 'racial' in inverted comma's because Travellers essentially think they are a seperate grouping in order to claim their rights.

I however have a rather right wing argument. Although granted, I won't openly state what i really do think and get banned. But I'll say this much.

If Travellers wish to be a seperate racial group, can they exercise their responsibilities a bit more. And in particular, exercise one right in particular.

That right. ....the right to remain silent. And stay that way until they bloody well behave themselves.

How Ward, with multiple convictions was not dealt with by the judicial and legal system is a grave indictment of that system. Certain kinds of solutions need to be considered to deal with the likes of Ward, which I will leave to your fertile imagination.

Get them to occupy Rockall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

If he'd kissed the "frog" instead of shooting him, would the scumbag have turned into a prince?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

As an elderly person who also lives mostly alone when in rural Ireland, I have and appreciate one thing that Mr. Nally also has - good neighbours. :)

Unfortunately, I don't have a shotgun. So I'll have to make do with what I have when and if the need arises.;);)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

Agree with previous posters. As someone who lives a mile from their nearest neighbour in rural Clare, Id shoot first and ask questions later. Ive been robbed twice in the last 10 months. The last time they used my own screwdrivers to take my beds apart while I was at work. Why do I work? Its not all travellers but overall something needs to be done. One garda car in Ennistymon and no email in the station, so I couldnt send them pictures of what was stolen. And now they want a property tax. For what??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

thomur wrote: »
    Agree with previous posters. As someone who lives a mile from their nearest neighbour in rural Clare, Id shoot first and ask questions later. Ive been robbed twice in the last 10 months. The last time they used my own screwdrivers to take my beds apart while I was at work. Why do I work? Its not all travellers but overall something needs to be done. One garda car in Ennistymon and no email in the station, so I couldnt send them pictures of what was stolen. And now they want a property tax. For what??

The amount of break ins in rural Clare over the last year is ridiculous. I know of a 67 yr old who was robbed a few weeks back and is paying out of his own pocket to stay in a old folks home because he is now terrified to go back to his own house :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

I watched that programme myself.

Intresting to note how older people mentioned that in days gone by Travellers were not seen in such a bad light.

When Nally was questioned on this, he agreed with it, but noted things changed when they got social welfare.

It's galling to think that hardworking taxpayers have perhaps funded this scourge on society.

This is not just confined to certain Travellers BTW.

Plenty of settled scum too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Just watched the programme. Great show. A scumbag thief terrorises a man, gets shot. Full support for the man. Him even serving 11 months is a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Dudess wrote: »
    Nally was scared out of his wits (although bollocks to say he was a frail old man - he was 60) and had a right to defend himself, Ward - what a lowlife (traveller or not) and deserved to be taught a lesson... but not killed. Too far. Although I can see how Nally would have been in such desperation and fear to the point of doing something irrational.

How many lessons did he need to be taught? He had 80+ convictions and 38 court cases. If Nally shot him in the leg and let him live then Ward would have came back again, probably with the intention of serious revenge.

Personally I don't have any sympathy for Ward. He got what he deserved. Nally was just a simple farmer minding his own business, any sympathy should lie with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Neonjack

Saw the program and it's hard to sympathise with Ward. Whether or not he deserved to die is another question. I wonder if Charlie will ever get to do an interview with his family and present their side in the same sympathetic light. Living in a rural spot, I do know that 'Nally's law' makes me feel a hell of a lot more secure. It's just a shame that a man (scumbag that I think he was) had to lose his life to get it enacted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The Wards aren't short of money anyway

You could buy a decent car for the money that monstrosity of a headstone cost.

Looks classless though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

In my opinion he was right to shoot the first time but not the second.
    The second shot was fired from above and John Ward was in a crouched position at the time. Nally shot him the second time while standing over him and the shot was fired at close range. No need for the second shot the first should have been enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

thomur wrote: »

Are there any threads on this bloody forum where someone doesn't mention that bloody charge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I wish Nally was around the last two times my house was broken into.

Top man who should have been given a commendation for ridding the state of that career criminal scumbag ward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I believe Nally knew for a fact that Ward would be back to kill him and fired a second time.

I'd do exactly the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

ColeTrain wrote: »
    How many lessons did he need to be taught? He had 80+ convictions and 38 court cases. If Nally shot him in the leg and let him live then Ward would have came back again, probably with the intention of serious revenge.

Personally I don't have any sympathy for Ward. He got what he deserved. Nally was just a simple farmer minding his own business, any sympathy should lie with him.

read an interesting point on another thread that the government should only allow free legal aid for max 3 court cases, after that those involved in consistant and serious crime need to cover their own costs.

Felt really sorry for Nally, he was tormented plain and simple. The gardai need to be far more visable in rural Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,307 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

bamboozle wrote: »
    Felt really sorry for Nally, he was tormented plain and simple. The gardai need to be far more visable in rural Ireland.
    You mean aside from sitting outside pubs waiting for people to drive home after a few? Aye. It's a pity the government have done the opposite, and closed down a few rural Garda stations.

If I ever meet Nally in a pub, I'll buy him a pint.

80+ convictions
    I wish to hell we had a 3strikes law
    its ridiculous that these career crimunals are roaming free

he isnt anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

I met Mr.Nally last week in the pub. I asked him would he like a drink, he said, "yes, I would murder a Fat Frog"

*I'll get my coat*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Wards family all looked so sad at the funeral. 9 kids without a father, sob sob, a sob story from the mother, he was a good man blah blah.

frog ward was a scumbag, huge amount of convictions and 4 bench warrants, one for attempted murder of a garda.

his own son drove off and left him there, some family

its about time that these cnuts were sterilised. pavee point have some balls to come out whingeing about anything that happens to (whats the politically correct term for inbreds) them now.

They are a scourge on this country like the ROMA are.

The amount of inter family fighting and distrust of education and religious brainwashing means that they will never change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

O'Herlihy must despise those Apres Match lads with a passion.

Would that be fair to say? Live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

It has been announced that the FIFA have posthumously granted "The Frog" Ward hall of fame status.

This is in recognition of his prowess as a shot stopper.

whats with all the traveller programs lately

rte has one on Monday
    are they trying to keep up with tv3?

• Advertisement
Advertisement