Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing garlic

Options
  • 13-03-2012 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here tried it or had much luck with it? What would be a good variety to grow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm on my second season of growing my own garlic now, it couldn't be easier. I used a variety called Germidour which produced quite large, red tinged bulbs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's very late to be planting garlic, though - it's usually best planted in december.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

As said it's very late, but you can get spring types. I believe 'Cristo' is good for late (spring) planting if you can get it, but you would need to plant them fairly sharpish and hope for the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I had a few bulbs that went to seed in my fridge last month. I dont know what they are, but I planted and they have 10" stocks now .Tesco. Im not sure what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Micheal GIY

Two main types of garlic - winter planted and spring planted. Still time to get some into the ground. You have a better chance with garlic bought specifically for growing as opposed to just planting out garlic from the supermarket (although you could get lucky!). Google Isle of Wight Garlic for the biggest supplier of garlic across the UK and Ireland, including some very interesting varieties. When planting, just break up the bulb into individual cloves and plant them about 5inches apart in rows 12 inches apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 almostretired

have planted garlic for first time this year from certified cloves. Plants are uo but stems of leaves are turning yellow. I pulled up one and it was soft with something greenish on it. Has anyone come across this before and is there a remedy?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

Don't know about your particular problem but I do know that garlic needs frost in order to cause the cloves to split. Never thought that could be a problem here !!

Advertisement