Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bsa ralock .22lr semi auto

Options
  • 13-03-2012 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, got my hands on one of these unfamiliar looking rifles today. Very interesting rifle. Ten round stock loading mag, takedown style, does'nt eject the spent shells but holds them internally. You have to pull down the trigger guard and they drop out all together. It's in good nick too. From what I can find out, they were manufactured by birmingham small arms company from 1949 to 1951. Any opinions? Cheers
    LR

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

They were intended i think as more plinkers or farmers rifles then anything else, bsa made the famous international series of martini actioned target rifles , these were world class (open to correction on that) target rifles in their day.

Info here,

http://www.rifleman.org.uk/BSA_Ralock_and_Armatic_semi-auto_rifles.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

rowa wrote: »
    these were world class (open to correction on that) target rifles in their day.
    No correction needed, they were amongst the best in their day. And for club guns or beginners rifles, they're still better than damn near anything on the market today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Longranger wrote: »
    Hi lads, got my hands on one of these unfamiliar looking rifles today. Very interesting rifle. Ten round stock loading mag, takedown style, does'nt eject the spent shells but holds them internally. You have to pull down the trigger guard and they drop out all together. It's in good nick too. From what I can find out, they were manufactured by birmingham small arms company from 1949 to 1951. Any opinions? Cheers
    LR

A VERY odd design by any standards, and way over-engineered. I sincerely hope that nothing ever breaks on your new rifle, as there are NO spares to be had.

A few little foibles in the field make them almost unuseable on any kind of a formal range - you cannot check the breech clear.

As for the other product of the BSA factory - as noted - the Martini-action target rifles were in a class of their own. I have two MkII Internationals, a left-hand and a right-hand, and with untold thousands of rounds down the barrels, there are still good for 1/4" five-shot groups at 50m on a still day - with ordinary GECO standard ammunition.

Both of them together cost me less than £100.

For some eye-candy, go to the bottom of the page here - http://www.rifleman.org.uk/BSA_Model_1.html - to see my other BSA. It's a unique little rifle, as far as the BSA historians know.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Nice one lads. I've fired it and she shoots like a dream.

Advertisement