Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied maths for LC

• 13-03-2012 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I'm thinking about doing applied maths for the leaving cert, but I'm not sure. I'm currently in transition year, and have around 12 days left to choose my subjects.( I've already decided to do Physics). My maths result in the junior cert last year was in the top 500 in the country, but I think the syllabus (for JC anyway) is just a bunch of learning, which I would consider to be the reason I did relatively well. Just wondering what applied maths is like in terms of solving completely new problems vs recognising ones you've already seen. (Btw I do enjoy maths in general) :mrgreen:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Applied maths is very repetitive, the same types of questions come up over and over again. It can be quite difficult to understand though, especially when you first start it. My first applied maths class was a total mind****, I didn't understand any of it, but it starts to come together and make sense after a while.

There are 10 questions on the paper and you do 6. Q3 is always projectiles, Q5 is always collisions, etc. and there are only a few different types of problem that can come up within each question.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Hunf

finality wrote: »
    Applied maths is very repetitive, the same types of questions come up over and over again. It can be quite difficult to understand though, especially when you first start it. My first applied maths class was a total mind****, I didn't understand any of it, but it starts to come together and make sense after a while.

There are 10 questions on the paper and you do 6. Q3 is always projectiles, Q5 is always collisions, etc. and there are only a few different types of problem that can come up within each question.

Right. Sounds like something I could do decently enough in with enough work.

Good luck with it. Applied maths is a fun subject and it makes the calculations in physics ridiculously easy.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Yeah, you'd pretty stupid not to do it :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭fusuf

don't do it but from what i hear its a cnut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

Out of interest, How'd you find out your maths results were within the top 500 in the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Blanchguy

I did it, with Physics, there's definitely some crossover and when I did it the exam was a week after all the others so you can do most of your revision then.

Out of interest, How'd you find out your maths results were within the top 500 in the country?

I presume they'd get a letter, that's how I was informed about my German results. If I'd known they did things like top 500 I would've worked harder at junior cert. :L

finality wrote: »
    I presume they'd get a letter, that's how I was informed about my German results. If I'd known they did things like top 500 I would've worked harder at junior cert. :L

Yeah, this. I got a letter in November telling me and inviting me to a maths Olympiad training thing (how cool can you get? :rolleyes:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭acorn1702

App maths is very predictable and it's the same as one maths paper... if you enjoy maths and solving problems it's a no-brainer... however you need a good teacher and need to put in the work in fifth year then it's all revision for LC. If you look at the results from previous years close to 60% of students taking the exam get A's and B's.

Also forgot to add the marking scheme is not like that of normal maths, it's very lenient and you can pick up marks very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 KildareKing

you get send a letter and they tell you that you were a high achiever

Do they do those letters at leaving cert too?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Zaffy

acorn1702 wrote: »
    however you need a good teacher and need to put in the work in fifth year then it's all revision for LC.

Not true, you just need someone who is able to show you things when you can't see the logic behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 KildareKing

i think in the LC you get a medal if you get the best result in a subject. However im pretty certain that if your high achiever in maths you get to go to trial for representing Ireland in some maths competition

Advertisement