Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Past V Present photo thread

Options
  • 13-03-2012 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭

This is an idea which has been bouncing around in my head for awhile.
    The object is to find an old picture of a street scene and take a similar picture today.

This is a 1964 picture of Tralee by a MajorCalloway, on Flickr.
    IMG_3216.png
    And the same view today..
    IMG_3215.jpg

Moyderwell in Tralee in the late '60s/early '70s.
    moyderwell.jpg
    And a shot of the same street i took last year
    Image831.jpg

Anyone else got some old shots to modernise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Wow those MajorCalloway photos are a great find.
    Moyderwell hasn't changed a bit, if it wasn't for those vans and car it could have been taken yesterday !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

Jesus, I remember that old bike shop in Moyderwell!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Yes even the wear marks on the double yellow lines seem to be same! Just below the motor bike shop there was a monumental sculptor.

In the mall the last shop on the left before the square painted red was a sweet shop in the 70s, it later became a record shop. I forget what was in the next shop up but RTV rentals were there for years.

Is that a Barrys Bread van on the right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Yes even the wear marks on the double yellow lines seem to be same! Just below the motor bike shop there was a monumental sculptor.

In the mall the last shop on the left before the square painted red was a sweet shop in the 70s, it later became a record shop. I forget what was in the next shop up but RTV rentals were there for years.

Is that a Barrys Bread van on the right?

Yes, the record shop on the corner was Kielys before they relocated to where Elverys is now. (of course they then relocated to Horan Centre). Next door was Dan Fitzgerald which then extended into Kielys and also the Hovercroft bakery (remember that) around the corner on the Square. I forgot that RTV was where Irish Nationwide is now (also since shut down).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Antenna

An old black and white photo (3.5" sq.) attached I came across recently of Puck Fair in Killorglin 1967.
    465126.jpg

For a more recent view of the street, Streetview here is close to the same position:
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.1063918,-9.7867336,3a,75y,304.81h,101.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1suiKvwWYJB-Tn78ltbb3rGw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Advertisement
Advertisement