Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Crossfire

Options
  • 13-03-2012 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

I'm currently running a single 6950 HD GPU and am thinking of getting another 6950 to CF, would i be better doing this or getting one of the new 7 series cards and running that as a single gpu?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

how deep is your wallet? if you've got a decent 2gb version, you could get ~€200 for it second hand. throw in another €300 and you could get a 7970. 6950CF is more powerful but not as future proof. it's hardly a setup to be sniffed at anyway, and would last a few years in games at 1080p I'm sure. if you could get a second one for under €200, and dont go through massive upgrade itches, it'll be perfect.

what games do you play?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

I`d say go for it(CF 6950)
    Im running 2x 6970 and its awesome..
    getting 60-100fps on bf3 ultru and 90-130 on high settings(1080)

A buddy of mine has the 7970 and is just pushing 60 fps on ultra @1080..(which is plenty for a 60htz monitor)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    how deep is your wallet? if you've got a decent 2gb version, you could get ~€200 for it second hand. throw in another €300 and you could get a 7970. 6950CF is more powerful but not as future proof. it's hardly a setup to be sniffed at anyway, and would last a few years in games at 1080p I'm sure. if you could get a second one for under €200, and dont go through massive upgrade itches, it'll be perfect.

what games do you play?

Yes it all boils down to the games, its worth researching how the main ones you play work with crossfire. Day 1 xfire support for new games is pretty shabby, if you like to play the latest & greatest as soon as they are released.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭CS Hasuki

glynf wrote: »
    Yes it all boils down to the games, its worth researching how the main ones you play work with crossfire. Day 1 xfire support for new games is pretty shabby, if you like to play the latest & greatest as soon as they are released.

And the cpu you are running. Don't bother if you are running an amd cpu. If you are stick to one GPU.

Advertisement