Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rats!

Options
  • 13-03-2012 2:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

I live in Waterville and was walking over to the bus this morning (the 8.10 38b into town). There is a'green space' between the Snugborough Road and the bus stop opposite Corduff Crescent - and as I walked across this four rats ran across my path, with one actually running across my shoe. I have never seen a rat before (well not one of the non-male type, but that's another story!). They were huge. I have seen mice and these were rats.

I rang Fingal Co Council when I got into work (as I am one of the few who has paid the household charge) and they told me to ring the HSE (?). The HSE were mystified, and said it was definitely the council - but no-one there would take any details.

I was walking home from the bus in the dark tonight and was clattering my high heels like mad just to scare the things away.

I'm scared stiff of these things. I know I've read that we're all close to vermin but these were massive things, and I literally scrubbed my shoe where it hit it.

Any advice gratefully received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

As for why they referred you to the HSE, it's because of this:
    http://www.fingalcoco.ie/minutes/meeting_doc.aspx?id=35843

But there are more rats in Dublin than people. Nothing the council or HSE can really do about it.

You could just buy a grass strimmer and carry it with you. :D

Seriously though...the rats will be more scared of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Thanks for that - but the area I mention is a public road under the CC.

Whereas the rats may be more scared of me, my one precious pair of Louboutins were not impressed...!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

The are fairly common, even in that stretch of tree's you talk about that divided the Blackcourt road from the Snugboro road.

The old Corduff lane was rampant in the 80s and 90s with them until the council cleared the siding downs to flat ground.

As one of the posters mention, there is not a whole lot you can do about it. Rats are as common as sparrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

I've had problems with rats in the back garden on and off (Clonsilla) over the past year or two, they're rampant once they take hold. Call environmental health in Ballycoolin, they'll assess the need to deploy bait to the affected area if the infestation is serious enough.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_Service/Environmental_Health/Environmental_Health_Officers/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Sorry for your experience but thinking ...in my estate there are lots of lovely cats !! I may be able to get some way of feeding them,to make sure they stay domestic,close and friendly !!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

amtc wrote: »
    I live in Waterville and was walking over to the bus this morning (the 8.10 38b into town). There is a'green space' between the Snugborough Road and the bus stop opposite Corduff Crescent - and as I walked across this four rats ran across my path, with one actually running across my shoe. I have never seen a rat before (well not one of the non-male type, but that's another story!). They were huge. I have seen mice and these were rats.

I rang Fingal Co Council when I got into work (as I am one of the few who has paid the household charge) and they told me to ring the HSE (?). The HSE were mystified, and said it was definitely the council - but no-one there would take any details.

I was walking home from the bus in the dark tonight and was clattering my high heels like mad just to scare the things away.

I'm scared stiff of these things. I know I've read that we're all close to vermin but these were massive things, and I literally scrubbed my shoe where it hit it.

Any advice gratefully received.

a terrier/jack russell would make short work of those rats :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

i saw a rat yesterday where I work. THought nothing of it, ive seen them a lot every where.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

amtc wrote: »
    Thanks for that - but the area I mention is a public road under the CC.

Whereas the rats may be more scared of me, my one precious pair of Louboutins were not impressed...!

Lol at the fact you were wearing Louboutins to get the bus!!! Are they not really expensive? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Moved into our house 2 decades ago. One morning making breakfast noticed some activity in the back garden, said to my then partner 'Oh look, there's squirrels in the garden''.
    His reply - "They're not squirrels, they're RATS!"
    Got a cat within a week, he lived for 12 yrs and made short work of them. No more rats living under the shed.

Live near a road with a huge green area & the tolka running through it, so I often see rats walking down to the shops etc. They don't bother me any more though, so used to seeing the feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

zef wrote: »
    so I often see rats walking down to the shops etc.

Zef: "Fine weather. ."

Rat: *with newspaper tucked under arm* "That it is please God".

Rented a place in Drumcondra last year, my room was ground floor. There was a shore in our back garden and they used to come up through that. You could actually hear them running around in the cavity within the walls of my room :eek:

A cat is the only way to go. They actually patrol the area looking for the little bastards. A neigbbour had a cat and I gave it milk whenever he passed. Also covered the shore with blocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Ironman76 wrote: »
    Zef: "Fine weather. ."

Rat: *with newspaper tucked under arm* "That it is please God".

Rented a place in Drumcondra last year, my room was ground floor. There was a shore in our back garden and they used to come up through that. You could actually hear them running around in the cavity within the walls of my room :eek:

A cat is the only way to go. They actually patrol the area looking for the little bastards. A neigbbour had a cat and I gave it milk whenever he passed. Also covered the shore with blocks.

You know that most adult cats are lactose intolerent? Cows milk is not so good for cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Lol at the fact you were wearing Louboutins to get the bus!!! Are they not really expensive? :p

yeah - I bought them in the good old days....now reduced to Penneys...!

Advertisement