Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Irish need apply...

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Racism in Australia... Well I never!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Next there'll be an article claiming that modern day Australians treat the native minority with contempt and disdain!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Sounds like someone is sick of poor work ethics and work standards.

Also sounds like the attitude to Eastern Europeans on building sites when Ireland was not poverty stricken, but that will be forgotten in this thread that will descend into usual the whinge, i will be back in a few pages for a giggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Big headline, but total non story really, one guy posts a stupid add on Gumtree, shocked the independant went with this story(actually not really)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yesterday's After Hours version of this thread provided plenty of lulz :pac:

Guy's an idiot for posting an ad like that but probably has had bad experiences, hence the reasoning behind it.

Meh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Old news there was a thread on here yesterday, I think someone from this board sent the screen shot to the Indo.

I phoned yer mans mobile last night for a laugh anyway, asked him for a job.

The Aussie wrote: »

Also sounds like the attitude to Eastern Europeans on building sites when Ireland was not poverty stricken, but that will be forgotten in this thread that will descend into usual the whinge, i will be back in a few pages for a giggle.

Jesus, you sound as if you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder, are you condoning this sort of advert or what? are you saying Irish people have bad ethics and work standards?

Also I would find the reversal, no polish need apply, equally retarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

Big headline, but total non story really, one guy posts a stupid add on Gumtree, shocked the independant went with this story(actually not really)

it's the Independents favourite type of story i.e. one which they can produce by just sitting on their arse surfing the web. If it involves any work or real research, forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

What absolute nonsense. I never saw a notice in this country claiming people of a particular nationality need not apply. And who said the Irish had an attitude towards the Polish? That's right the Polish did!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

250 in a town with money to burn seems a bit low for brickying.

Anyway, this is the Indo, its possible a journalist posted the ad themselves to create a story. Bit like the sh1te that went around (that a god awful amount of people, mainly tradies, believe) that No Irish Wanted was a common poster outside building sites in Poland. Aye, because obviously in some Auf Wiedersehen Pet throwback Irish lads are trying to labour on Polish sites for 3 euro an hour. Even when the Poles were coming to Ireland their McJobs were populated back home by workers from non EU states. If anything alot of Aussie firms prefer Irish staff, despite the Monday risks that go with it....

• Advertisement

Jesus, you sound as if you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder

No, but i am a Carpenter so ive got a few Splinters.
    are you condoning this sort of advert or what? are you saying Irish people have bad ethics and work standards?

No, did i say this in my Reply, Nice try though.
    Also I would find the reversal, no polish need apply, equally retarded.

So would i, but you obviously dont know anyone with a disability or you would find the R word as vile as i do, just as heads up its up, it is in the same league as the N word for Black people.
    MyKeyG wrote: »
    What absolute nonsense. I never saw a notice in this country claiming people of a particular nationality need not apply. And who said the Irish had an attitude towards the Polish? That's right the Polish did!

No, it is normally worded a bit smarter than the poster of the Gumtree add, normally goes along the lines of "Must be fluent in English" in jobs that does not require a masters degree, and the Polish would say that because they were on the receiving end of it, just because you did not experience it, it does not mean it did not happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

What has he got against Irish people? Doesn't he know they're nearly all white?

invasion-day2.jpg?w=450

No, but i am a Carpenter so ive got a few Splinters.

No, did i say this in my Reply, Nice try though.

So would i, but you obviously dont know anyone with a disability or you would find the R word as vile as i do, just as heads up its up, it is in the same league as the N word for Black people.

No, it is normally worded a bit smarter than the poster of the Gumtree add, normally goes along the lines of "Must be fluent in English" in jobs that does not require a masters degree, and the Polish would say that because they were on the receiving end of it, just because you did not experience it, it does not mean it did not happen.

:pac: ok I get, you just like shít stirring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod Please calm down and stop putting words in his mouth saying:
    "Sounds like someone is sick of poor work ethics and work standards."
    is not near "are you saying Irish people have bad ethics and work standards?"

hint: someone = poster of original ad, and if you read the ad, it's exactly what he (poster) is complaining about.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 elliott550

Gumtree is bloody embarrassing. The amount of Irish lookn for work ad's is ridiulous 'Hi my name is Gearoid, 21, Irish lad, want work doing absolutely anything, can build walls, climb trees, recite the alphabet backwards...' Annoying thing is (it doesnt really annoy me) you know these lads have got work after a day or 2 but dont close their ad on gumtree. Just check, every day its the same.

In the Indo he says his Name is Simon, when I phoned I asked for Chris and he said there was no Chris there.

But I got the feeling he was getting a bit fed up with the whole thing because he hung up on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

elliott550 wrote: »
    Gumtree is bloody embarrassing. The amount of Irish lookn for work ad's is ridiulous 'Hi my name is Gearoid, 21, Irish lad, want work doing absolutely anything, can build walls, climb trees, recite the alphabet backwards...'

Irish people putting ads on gumtree listing their experience and ability is embarassing? :confused: How in the fcuk do you get worik without some type of skills description??? If Im an employer in any field a one liner and a phone number would tell me the guy can barely read/ write and likely cant count.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Xavi6 wrote: »

:) was reading this earlier, liked the one were he calls Irish "Spudheads"

Working here in Perth as a Irish brickie myself and to be honest he should have put "no backpackers", i know were he's coming from saying no Irish though.
    I wouldnt touch a backpacker when it comes to bricklaying. They all had a sh1t work ethic as they didnt care as they need cash to travel on or drinking to much and thinking its a holiday, which it is as they are on WHV's.
    If you want to work as qualified tradesperson, why not get a skills migrant visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

skipz wrote: »
    Xavi6 wrote: »

Working here in Perth as a Irish brickie myself and to be honest he should have put "no backpackers", i know were he's coming from saying no Irish though.
    I wouldnt touch a backpacker when it comes to bricklaying. They all had a sh1t work ethic as they didnt care as they need cash to travel on or drinking to much and thinking its a holiday, which it is as they are on WHV's.
    If you want to work as qualified tradesperson, why not get a skills migrant visa?

Sure..... Or maybe these people have no interest in that? They just want a fast buck to keep them ticking over for the year.

This guy should research potential employees a lot better, then maybe he wouldn't be recruiting messers.

If those Irish bricklayers who lied about experience were that bad then they're just as much an embarrassment to Ireland as this guy is to Australia's discrimination laws.

Two sides to every story.

Lying to employers over here to just make a fast buck until they get caught out then moving onto another lie with another company. It's those people who are ruining it for the rest of us and making people like this guy have that generalized opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 elliott550

As I said, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. The original post should be taken in context - it's a gumtree ad. heres lots of Irish on gumtree lookn work, they dont close their ad's after posting. I'm not captain answer man - i don't have all the answers, just puttn in my 2 cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

On the backpacker circuit a few years ago, there were a quota of lowlife scumbag Irish, stealing stuff like iPods in hostels etc from other backpackers.

A few Irish guys were invited by the (Scottish) couple in a house I was staying in in Perth one Christmas, the amount of roaring and shouting out of them was unreal...the place looked like a bomb hit it the following morning.

It might have been better to word the ad 'no backpackers' or 'mature applicants with quals only' to filter out the dregs.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

skipz wrote: »

Im on the verge of bboking flights to OZ,im a brickie myself and finished up work last friday and if i can id like to keep working and avoid the dole-it doesnt look like ill be able to get any work over here.

Could you tell me what the situation is with work over there maybe-is there much work around?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

elliott550 wrote: »
    Gumtree is bloody embarrassing. The amount of Irish lookn for work ad's is ridiulous 'Hi my name is Gearoid, 21, Irish lad, want work doing absolutely anything, can build walls, climb trees, recite the alphabet backwards...' Annoying thing is (it doesnt really annoy me) you know these lads have got work after a day or 2 but dont close their ad on gumtree. Just check, every day its the same.

Haha I know I guy called Gearoid (21), lives a few doors down!

I can't blame the gumtree poster. If he has got burnt by Irish people before its kinda justified

Pity it got reported in the indo as it spoilt the fun, I was going create an ad on donedeal.ie looking for 500 brickies with an offer of sponsorship and post his phone number. I reckon he would have needed to change his phone number (although he probably will need to now anyway)

Serves the Pommie c*nt right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭deisedude

Why didn't he get them to lay a few bricks before offering the job? Then you would know whether they are chancers or not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Lets be honest there are loads of waster irish people over here. Plenty I wouldnt even invite into my own house.

He worded the ad wrong but thats about it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    What has he got against Irish people? Doesn't he know they're nearly all white?

invasion-day2.jpg?w=450

tumblr_lnvvueuSsj1qcj56b.png

You do realise that the Irish also did all of the above right?
    How far back in history do you want to go?

Might want to check out the Scoti while you are googling pictures there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Jumpy wrote: »

The problem with Australia day is the day they chose to have it on not that they have the day. The date commemorates the arrival of the First Fleet at Sydney Cove in 1788 and the proclamation at that time of British sovereignty. In an inclusive countries trying to heal the wounds done to the indigenes people, having "Australia day" a day for all Australians to celebrate all things Australian on the date of what many aboriginals see as Invasion Day is a bit wrong in my opinion.

• Advertisement

:pac: ok I get, you just like shít stirring.

No, just calling it how it is and stating the fact.
    Doc wrote: »
    "Australia day" a day for all Australians to celebrate all things Australian.

Its been a long long time since i had a few beers for Australia Day, it seems to have been hijacked by the Bogans to see who can Out Australian each other, the whole thing is quite embarrassing really.
    Jumpy wrote: »
    tumblr_lnvvueuSsj1qcj56b.png

But Jumpy, they have been wanting to post that picture here for ages, even though the Thread had nothing to do with Australia Day or Aboriginals up until that stage is totally irrelevant to the point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement